What Makes a Good Exalted Novel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
    Basically if RotSE had a novel series on a par with End Times it'd largely consist of the Scarlet Empress' forces steamrolling everything at a rate that doesn't allow for any satisfactory pacing and canon characters who'd been absent for an edition or more showing up to remind people they existed then getting killed off for non-existent shock value. It's like someone listened to The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny and took it 100% seriously.
    Yeah, the writers were told that everything must die, and so they went around making that happen. Dwarf holds were totally overrun by skaven in a matter of days, and then were purged of the skaven blight by Ungrim Ironfist dying and turning into a giant dwarf head made of fire, then Giles le Breton shows back up I think and teams up with Louen Leoncoeur to fight Archeon, they lose but then Grimgor Ironhide waddles in out of nowhere and punches Archeon in the face, dropping him instantly, and then he waddles off again.

I thought it was kind of fun, but not because it was good, just because it was a 100% canon, and absolutely absurd end to the world. The less fun part was the realization that all that interesting lore and connected world would never be touched on again.

Comment

*takes notes*

Come and rock me Amadeus.

Comment

Aha.... yes, that would be a bad game setting novel. Thanks!

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

One of the first things I had to discard when I wrote an Exalted novel was charm cascades. While the way they're set up may make mechanical sense, when it comes to narrative, I tend to skip charms or smooch a bunch of them together.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

Comment

Originally posted by hippokrene View Post
            One of the first things I had to discard when I wrote an Exalted novel was charm cascades. While the way they're set up may make mechanical sense, when it comes to narrative, I tend to skip charms or smooch a bunch of them together.
            That's basically what happens with my NPCs too!

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Working...
            X