No announcement yet.

Circle of Protection Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've finished reading it today, and was very entertained. The character voices were well defined, the ambience is true to the setting, and the best info on black market exaltations for years. I give it a 4 out of 5.

Comment

I've only started reading, but I'm surprised to find myself liking it quite a bit. I didn't expect the Sidereal Exalted to feature so prominently, but I'm glad for it.

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Comment

Originally posted by Kleptomania View Post
        I've only started reading, but I'm surprised to find myself liking it quite a bit. I didn't expect the Sidereal Exalted to feature so prominently, but I'm glad for it.
        To quote another user upthread, this may be the best primer for "What Is A Sidereal" we've gotten.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Just finished it, excellent read. Loved that it shone a light on the Sids - they are an areaof the setting that I have never really grokked before

Comment

I loved the novel. Every twist was good, every bit of exposition felt more natural. It really was a breath of fresh air after the anthology. Little details like two merits explained organically and charms presented the way the core book did made me feel a lot more comfortable. The Loom was beautiful, as was Yu Shan. I also agree, the exalted explored in the novel were amazing, and after chapter one sucked home into this very human slice of the setting, it only got better. They did an amazing job. It really pulled me in--i skipped my usually video games just to read and even missed some of my bus stops reading. After how awesome the dbz book was, and the lunar preview was, I really think every exalt as is the best exalted in their game. And the surprise happy ending really made me smile. I was heartbroken over what happened with the last Black Flag and realizing what happened to the others (the two hugging skeletons really got me) but damn that was a beautiful exalted story and made more sense than the fiction anthology.

Comment

I just finished chapter 29 and I must admit to having difficulties getting into it. I realise the book was made to introduce players to Exalted and in this case Sidereals but to me the main characters feel less like inhabitants of Creation and more from actual Earth. Maybe it's because English isn't my native language but expressions like "I will charge it to the Bureau as a business expense" seem quite anachronistic, even when we take into account the bureaucratic nature of Yushan. That and the main character's actions at the beginning when mortal seem less courageous and heroic than mind numblingly stupid and without regards for her friend's safety and goes from awed to blasé about interacting with the gods in about a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Plastic Doll View Post
                I just finished chapter 29 and I must admit to having difficulties getting into it. I realise the book was made to introduce players to Exalted and in this case Sidereals but to me the main characters feel less like inhabitants of Creation and more from actual Earth. Maybe it's because English isn't my native language but expressions like "I will charge it to the Bureau as a business expense" seem quite anachronistic, even when we take into account the bureaucratic nature of Yushan. That and the main character's actions at the beginning when mortal seem less courageous and heroic than mind numblingly stupid and without regards for her friend's safety and goes from awed to blasé about interacting with the gods in about a week.
                One thing one learns, studying history, is people from the past are less different than you might think. And expense accounts are alsoolder than you might think.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                  So far I've only read the title. I'm going to need to work hard to not think of it in the context of MtG.
                  That's what made the Primordials so strong, you see. They are colorless like the Eldrazi and CoP: Colorless hadn't been invented yet so the Solars had to fight them oldschool.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

I just finished reading this today and quite enjoyed the book in the end. The first half took a while to hook me, but once the story hit it's stride, I couldn't put it down. I'm definitely excited for more about Sidereals and Exigents after reading it.

If I were to have one complaint, it seemed to me that in places there was a little to much exposition saying "this is how the setting works". I would expect the audience of the book to be Exalted fans already, since it's not being published for mass market through book stores. I think that's part of what made things feel a little clunky to me in the beginning. As other readers has commented, there are some differences to the way I run things in my games, but I expect that because every table interprets things a little differently.

Check out my RPG podcast: The Story Told
                    Follow my ongoing Exalted Campaign: An Imperfect Circle

Comment

Working...
                    X