X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ascension
    started a topic Circle of Protection Discussion Thread

Circle of Protection Discussion Thread

Well, we have a general thread about expectations for an Exalted novel, but it seems it's time to have a thread for actual discussion of our new non-hypothetical Exalted novel, doesn't it?

I've read the first eight chapters so far. I'm not going to request that this thread avoid spoilers entirely, but I'm going to be circumspect at least in this first post, and I recommend use of the spoiler tags if anyone would like to get more specific. It's best to be courteous, especially given how very new the book is at this writing.

If you recall Forbeck's story back in the Tales From The Age of Sorrow short story collection, it was effectively a preview of this book (from a different viewpoint), but a lot of specific details have been changed (and, in my opinion, improved).

For those who may be wary after Tales, I'll say that there are still aspects of the presentation that don't quite mesh with my personal interpretations of the setting, but it's not a jarring sense of this is wrong like I experienced from a few of the short stories, just a quieter this isn't what I'm used to. It's more like... gaming with a different group than you're used to, and just having to adjust to a new set of headcanons. And it's an engaging enough read (so far!) that I don't mind that little extra bit of cognitive effort.

All-in-all, I'm quite optimistic. It feels like a better book than I ever expected, and it's also succeeded as a piece of tie-in literature: it's raised my level of excitement for Ex3's take on Sidereals, whenever that book may find its way to us.

• ElfSpeaker
    replied
    I just finished reading this today and quite enjoyed the book in the end. The first half took a while to hook me, but once the story hit it's stride, I couldn't put it down. I'm definitely excited for more about Sidereals and Exigents after reading it.

If I were to have one complaint, it seemed to me that in places there was a little to much exposition saying "this is how the setting works". I would expect the audience of the book to be Exalted fans already, since it's not being published for mass market through book stores. I think that's part of what made things feel a little clunky to me in the beginning. As other readers has commented, there are some differences to the way I run things in my games, but I expect that because every table interprets things a little differently.

Leave a comment:

• Sorcerous Overlord
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
    So far I've only read the title. I'm going to need to work hard to not think of it in the context of MtG.
    That's what made the Primordials so strong, you see. They are colorless like the Eldrazi and CoP: Colorless hadn't been invented yet so the Solars had to fight them oldschool.

Leave a comment:

• Aliasi
    replied
    Originally posted by Plastic Doll View Post
    I just finished chapter 29 and I must admit to having difficulties getting into it. I realise the book was made to introduce players to Exalted and in this case Sidereals but to me the main characters feel less like inhabitants of Creation and more from actual Earth. Maybe it's because English isn't my native language but expressions like "I will charge it to the Bureau as a business expense" seem quite anachronistic, even when we take into account the bureaucratic nature of Yushan. That and the main character's actions at the beginning when mortal seem less courageous and heroic than mind numblingly stupid and without regards for her friend's safety and goes from awed to blasé about interacting with the gods in about a week.
    One thing one learns, studying history, is people from the past are less different than you might think. And expense accounts are alsoolder than you might think.

Leave a comment:

• Plastic Doll
    replied
    I just finished chapter 29 and I must admit to having difficulties getting into it. I realise the book was made to introduce players to Exalted and in this case Sidereals but to me the main characters feel less like inhabitants of Creation and more from actual Earth. Maybe it's because English isn't my native language but expressions like "I will charge it to the Bureau as a business expense" seem quite anachronistic, even when we take into account the bureaucratic nature of Yushan. That and the main character's actions at the beginning when mortal seem less courageous and heroic than mind numblingly stupid and without regards for her friend's safety and goes from awed to blasé about interacting with the gods in about a week.

Leave a comment:

• Cleverest of Things
    replied
    I loved the novel. Every twist was good, every bit of exposition felt more natural. It really was a breath of fresh air after the anthology. Little details like two merits explained organically and charms presented the way the core book did made me feel a lot more comfortable. The Loom was beautiful, as was Yu Shan. I also agree, the exalted explored in the novel were amazing, and after chapter one sucked home into this very human slice of the setting, it only got better. They did an amazing job. It really pulled me in--i skipped my usually video games just to read and even missed some of my bus stops reading. After how awesome the dbz book was, and the lunar preview was, I really think every exalt as is the best exalted in their game. And the surprise happy ending really made me smile. I was heartbroken over what happened with the last Black Flag and realizing what happened to the others (the two hugging skeletons really got me) but damn that was a beautiful exalted story and made more sense than the fiction anthology.

Leave a comment:

• hurum
    replied
    Just finished it, excellent read. Loved that it shone a light on the Sids - they are an areaof the setting that I have never really grokked before

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Kleptomania View Post
    I've only started reading, but I'm surprised to find myself liking it quite a bit. I didn't expect the Sidereal Exalted to feature so prominently, but I'm glad for it.
    To quote another user upthread, this may be the best primer for "What Is A Sidereal" we've gotten.

Leave a comment:

• Kleptomania
    replied
    I've only started reading, but I'm surprised to find myself liking it quite a bit. I didn't expect the Sidereal Exalted to feature so prominently, but I'm glad for it.

Leave a comment:

• pcontop
    replied
    I've finished reading it today, and was very entertained. The character voices were well defined, the ambience is true to the setting, and the best info on black market exaltations for years. I give it a 4 out of 5.

Leave a comment:

• Trax
    replied
    Check your spam folder, you should've gotten an email notification.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2339191

Leave a comment:

• BadassOverlord
    replied
    Dumb question, at what backer level was the book offered? I pledged at the 55 USD level and didn't get a copy. Or was it one of the optional add-ons?

Leave a comment:

• Alpharius
    replied
    Also if Palym's name is a Palimpsest pun, get out of my head. Because seriously, that's a great way to describe a new POV Celestial Exalted and I'd been waiting on a chance to use it myself as a GM. The Exalted equivalent of 'call me Ishmael' I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Trax
    replied
    I give this book a big thumbs up. The tone, the characters, the banter, and just pretty much everything about it is so close to how our games are and presented by my ST's that it made it even more enjoyable for me I think because it was relatable. I could easily imagine one of our characters being in the background doing our own things, that's how well this could fit into our own campaigns.

I would recommend this book, and I am seriously looking forward to the next novel, the DB novellas, and hopefully even more novels.

Leave a comment:

• OpMegs
    replied
    So I was up until 2AM this morning reading this because once I got to the climax, I wanted to find out what happened next.

Overall, this book is just brilliant, and if I wanted to introduce someone to the concept of Sidereal story play, I'd just hand them this book and tell them to read it. It spreads out basically most of the concepts (from their job to the weird causal way their powers work). And the exposition is fairly elegant and not too clunky (by my lights), so it's great for new readers who have no idea what they're talking about.

The banter is very good, which kept me more invested than than previous Exalted long fiction, and overall, the best thing I can say is that I may have these characters cameo in my own game if there was a case where I could. I really like the group presented.

Also, the finale was pitch perfect for me, since I kept thinking "oh no, is this where the SRS BZNSS is going to move in to break poor Palym?" and then it subverts it to go to a satisfying conclusion that's right in my preferred scale of grittiness for the setting. Bravo on that. I guessed some of the twists ahead of time, but as Mercury might point out, it's about the journey, not the destination. Also, sneaking the sutras in there in non-obvious ways was a cute touch.

In spoiler areas....

I think the Exigent seen early on is so horribly mutated BECAUSE it's a Black Flag "Dirty Bomb" Exigent. There's talk later by the cosnpirators of the earlier ones being tests of how to make one capable of killing gods for their plan, and Xiao near the end is able to forcibly return her body to a more humanoid shape once she has better control over her powers.

I really like how the Usurpation and factions are handled. Zannen is Bronze, but Bronze and Gold are more historical terms that others take meaning from than established factions, and the Usurpation itself is literally rumor since there aren't many Sids old enough around to have participated, and those that are aren't telling.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X