Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RWBY Volume 6

Discussions and theories about this volume

It's okay so far, Volume 5 was actively bad and it seems like they listened to some of the criticism.

The Freedom Stone is back, help it to live again.

Comment

I'm sick of hearing complaints to be honest. RWBY never got as bad as the internet complaints said it did

As for 6, fast start, ep 2 (I'm not paying, so am a week behind) slowed down a bit, but am intrigued by what comes next

and why did they bring her back? was that necessary?

Comment

Holy shit, this Volume is like... actively good! It's like we're back in the grand old days of Volume 3 again! The fight in the first episode is EASILY top five in the series, maybe top three; it doesn't have a ton of dramatic weight behind it, which is literally the only thing holding it back. The best choreographed thing they've done since moving to Maya, and demonstrating that that engine has real power behind it if they actually know how to use it.

Pacing is working well; Volume 5 managed the near trick of simultaneously being the longest volume and the one where the least happened. So far six hasn't had a single wasted moment, but doesn't feel rushed. (So far.)

I stand by my prior claim that the Gods of Remnant are a pair of evil motherfuckers. I mean... just grotesquely bad beings.

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
          I'm sick of hearing complaints to be honest. RWBY never got as bad as the internet complaints said it did
          I disagree strongly. I don't want to rehash old arguments though, so I am looking forward to watching and discussing season 6.

Edit 1: Episode one was amazing. Great animation, great cinematography, FANTASTIC fight scenes, which were of uniform animation quality, design, action, and showed off each character's unique abilities. Just by the language of motion we could see the Ruby/Weiss bond, the Blake/Yang new relationship, and that Qrow taught Ruby how to use a scythe. Absolutely top notch stuff. And I loved the Manticore Grimm. I have zero complaints.

Edit 2: Episode 2 was also great. Everyone had enough of Oz's cryptic bullshit and finally called him out on it, and his reluctance to be open and forthrite with the people tasked with saving the world has come back to bite him in the ass. This is exactly the payoff I was hoping for, drama and consequences arising from character actions. I'm very excited to see where this goes.
          Last edited by Sorcerous Overlord; 11-11-2018, 07:04 AM.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

HAHAHA... Oh, Salem. Spoilers for Episode 3!

So she was Perfect Soul this whole dang time? Hilarious! *threads fingers* I'm no fan of the Jiaran Bruce Almighty, but I can get behind her as a villain easily enough

Honestly though, I'm a liiitle conflicted here. I'm not too big a fan of some of the tropes in Salem's backstory, love the basic principle of her challenging the gods, but 'it was all for love' is... uuugh. And having her Crossing The Line moment in the new world be related to Oz and the kids doesn't help. *taps* I'm interested to see her take on things, her philosophy, what she's trying to accomplish and the like. I feel this is a reasonable background, with the potential to make her an excellent villain, just feel we need a little more on where she's at right now.

Also, am I the only one wondering why Oz has kept all this so damn secret? I mean... he doesn't trust people, and sharing the God of Creation's mission with Salem was what led to them parting ways, but.... IDK, I feel like we're still in the dark on something with him too. Ruby asking 'what is he hiding' rather than 'why is Oz keeping secrets' may come back to bite the party.

Comment

Originally posted by Croakamancer View Post

So she was Perfect Soul this whole dang time? Hilarious! *threads fingers* I'm no fan of the Jiaran Bruce Almighty, but I can get behind her as a villain easily enough

Honestly though, I'm a liiitle conflicted here. I'm not too big a fan of some of the tropes in Salem's backstory, love the basic principle of her challenging the gods, but 'it was all for love' is... uuugh. And having her Crossing The Line moment in the new world be related to Oz and the kids doesn't help. *taps* I'm interested to see her take on things, her philosophy, what she's trying to accomplish and the like. I feel this is a reasonable background, with the potential to make her an excellent villain, just feel we need a little more on where she's at right now.

Also, am I the only one wondering why Oz has kept all this so damn secret? I mean... he doesn't trust people, and sharing the God of Creation's mission with Salem was what led to them parting ways, but.... IDK, I feel like we're still in the dark on something with him too. Ruby asking 'what is he hiding' rather than 'why is Oz keeping secrets' may come back to bite the party.
              Discussing episode 3 spoilers
              I don't really feel like Salem's original challenge was for love. That struck me as far more of trying to destroy them because she felt they were assholes and had no right to the power they had. Remember her objection to the light brother saying he wouldn't bring back the dead because it goes against the natural order and rules was to call him out on not being fair. Probably not helped by the time she had to ponder afterwords that Ozma had freaked out when he was brought back from the dead the first time, followed by doing it all again in under five minutes ostensibly because darkness was miffed at his brother for destroying a gift to ,what he thought was, his worshipper and then annoyed at her for lying about going to him second. That they were clearly fallible meant she probably felt she was more deserving of the title of god than they were.

Not that I don't think getting her love back was part of the objective, just that it was probably more of a fringe benefit by the time she makes the challenge.

Comment

They made a mistake in Volume 5 with the three character shorts leaving them without time and resources for more important fights. So this time, they kept it down to one short.

I liked Volume 5, but Volume 6 seems to be Rooster Teeth hitting a whole new stride.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Croakamancer View Post

I'm pretty sure the bit at the very end where Oz asks Djinn how to beat Salem and she says its impossible is why he hid this. The two people we know betrayed him did so because they believed Salem was unbeatable and apparently they were at least partially right.

Comment

Salem never once cared about "Other People".

She definitely loved Ozma, but she was otherwise extremely self-centered.

The Light God tries to explain why all humanity needs to accept death; Salem doesn't care about what other people have to suffer. She wants to be the exception.

The Light God tries to explain that Ozma is resting. She doesn't care.

(When the Light God later offered Ozma the chance to walk the world again, Ozma preferred to stay in the afterlife and find Salem, before he was told she wasn't among the new arrivals and never would be. So the afterlife is not oblivion or unpleasant or lonely, and bringing him back just rips him away from all of that. This explains why, given that Ozma died peacefully the first time, he reacting so badly to being resurrected the first time. Also, the Light God made sure that Ozma wouldn't go back to his rest only to be repeatedly ripped away from it, but ensured that he would always go straight to the next person whom would help him and give him company on his long, long quest.)

The Light God breaking his rules might provoke his brother to break their agreement entirely, when that agreement is the only reason the Dark God hasn't destroyed everything? She doesn't care.

Lying to the Dark God, risking a cosmic battle between him and his brother, and giving him a whole new reason to hate created beings such that he might break his agreement? She doesn't care.

Tricking three whole nations of people into attempting to kill their gods, regardless of the actual possible consequences, and without caring how many of them would die or whether it was even possible for them to get what she promised them? Possibly finally provoking the Dark God to break the agreement and destroy everything? She doesn't care.

She just watched them all die with a Thanos finger-snap? She doesn't care, she'll just go get more and throw away as many armies as it takes until the gods give her what she wants.

The next three things we can only partially blame on her dip in the Pool of Annihilation and the desire for destruction that it gave her.

Ozma wants to unite the world? Okay, so she resorts to invasion and killing to conquer the entire planet.

Their kids have divine magic? Okay, time to replace the new humanity with their children.

Ozma tries to take the kids away? Okay, time to murder their kids and then him.

As for her actions BEFORE her dip in the black pool, some people have blamed her father's horrible parenting for her inability to think beyond herself. While that's definitely a consideration, ultimately Salem has to be held responsible for her own choices, and she was manipulating, dividing, and leading people to their deaths long before her black bath.

Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 11-17-2018, 12:22 PM. Reason: removed spoiler tags now that episode is out

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                      They made a mistake in Volume 5 with the three character shorts leaving them without time and resources for more important fights .
                      This doesn't sound right, Sunder. Of those three character shorts, Blake's was clearly itself under-resourced (that wasn't a "fight" and the shit they did with the wagon was frankly embarrassing) and Yang's was BARELY a fight. Weiss's was pretty great, but that was what, five minutes long?

If those character shorts didn't exist V5 wouldn't have had that much better fights, because the resources put into said shorts didn't amount to much. At BEST, it could have either salvaged the fight in Blake's house, or one-quarter of the "fight" at Haven.

Whereas this year, we had the Adam short, which was quality action end-to-end, which they then followed up with MORE quality action.

V5 was definitely under-resourced, but the character shorts can't be blamed for it, I don't think.

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
                        the resources put into said shorts didn't amount to much.
                        The Ursa, both environments, and the new model for Winter were all totally new assets not used again in Volume 5.

The effort taken to make those assets could instead have been put into doing more with the assets made for the Haven fight.

Comment

Maybe its just me, I'd say volume 5's issue was that it didn't feel like its own thing. Like volume 5 felt rather generic to me, and that was a bit of a problem in volume 4 as well just not as extreme, where I feel that 6 seems to be going well so far is that it feels like things to its own world. I'll need time and more to see where it goes, but volume 6 feels more like a story that is tied to its own setting than volume 5 felt to me. I mean at the risk of a minor spoiler we might actually get a proper explanation on why magic was met with skepticism as a thing that existed when we have Semblences in this setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraklitas View Post

I'm pretty sure the bit at the very end where Oz asks Djinn how to beat Salem and she says its impossible is why he hid this. The two people we know betrayed him did so because they believed Salem was unbeatable and apparently they were at least partially right.
                            Yep, gotta be careful in how you phrase a question or a request to a Genie.

“The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Heraklitas View Post
                              He asked for a way to destroy her, not beat her. Even if she's impossible to kill, it might be possible to imprison her.

For example, within one of the Vaults.

Originally posted by Trax View Post
                              Yep, gotta be careful in how you phrase a question or a request to a Genie.
                              In case you didn't notice, Jinn goes far behind answering the bare minimum of a question. She takes you on a full-blown VISION QUEST to show you EXACTLY what happened in the past, with your own eyes, and she even narrates to tell you what your eyes can't see.

She isn't designed to be a literal genie or a jackass genie. Her entire purpose is to give people knowledge, and she seems to go all-out in order to do so. She takes pride in it.

Furthermore, a perfectly acceptable answer to "How do I destroy Salem?" would be "Convince this person to do it for you", if any such person existed.

Keep in mind that Salem and her minions have dealt with Silver-Eyed Warriors before, and Salem actually wanted Ruby brought back to her ALIVE, without stipulating her eyes be gouged out. So Salem isn't afraid that Ruby's Eye Blasts can hurt her.

The gods themselves cursed Salem to be immortal, and if even the Relic of Destruction and the Pools of Annihilation weren't the answer to Ozma's question, then NOTHING short of the gods themselves COULD BE.
                              Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 11-17-2018, 12:23 PM. Reason: removed spoiler tags now that episode is out

Comment

Working...
                              X