RWBY Volume 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aquillion View Post
    tl;dr: Jaune's real semblance is manpain.
    Could have gone with a better paragraph, but yeah.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
    Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

• Also, another thing that your post reminded me I hate is how... generic the villains are? They feel like broad caricatures that never really got filled in. Their plot arcs are boring generic anime plot arcs with nothing interesting or unique to them, all of it telegraphed years in advance.

Honestly, Roman was a better villain than these people. I mean, yes, his motivation was also just "is Chaotic Evil", but at least he had a bit more style than them.

I think part of the reason I focus on how utterly reprehensible their demon-gods is is because it's the place where the story went from "following the rails with minimal self-awareness" to "so little awareness of the actual implications and meaning of what's happening onscreen that it jumped the rails and smashed into the proverbial wall."

I seriously do think there was no more thought put into the God of Light than "he shines yellow, calls himself a god, and talks in a deep soothing voice, therefore he is axiomatically right and people need to win his approval again." And the thinking behind the God of Darkness was "what if evil dark monster god, but, twist, not evil because The Balance." And they also wanted to give Salem an angsty backstory so they also had their stupid gods do stupid terrible stuff to her and her entire world with virtually no provocation, and nobody involved in the project was actually bothering to put enough thought into it to consider how it looked as a whole.

Sort of like how the entire cast freaking out about Salem not being killable to death feels like it's there because there was an "everyone freaks out and is mad at Ozpin and sad here" spot written in the overarching plan, but nobody really thought it through in any detail.

Like... even putting aside the fact that there's other solutions, they weren't even actually talking about killing Salem until this season. Her name was only mentioned to the heroes for the first time last season. They barely know who she is and don't even know what her plan is - for that matter, why do they want to kill her? All they ever got out of Ozpin, that I can recall, is "she wants the relics because mumblemumble. And we have to stop her because mumblemumble." Even the vision barely touched on it.

At one point in this episode, what's-her-name asked why they couldn't just go do other stuff, and that's a very good question. Whatever vague evil plot Salem is trying to do, she's been trying to do it for a long time without success. Right now, she doesn't even seem that much closer to it than she ever did before - I guess she still has the Fall Maiden? And one of the relics is outside the vault? But the fall of Beacon doesn't actually seem to have helped her. If they hunted down Cinder and killed her (and maybe Emerald, too, who is the only plausible person on Team Salem who could inherit the Fall Maiden power) Salem would be almost back at square zero. They'd have to hide one relic again, but so what, Ozpin managed it once already, starting from less than this.

This is probably a plotting issue - they're saving the big reveal of Salem's evil plot for later, and, yes, of course it will be genocide because the writers have no subtly and no self-awareness. But the heroes don't seem to have caught on to that. And at the same time, the writers also want to shift focus towards Salem so the overarching plot can move forwards, but... these two things don't work together?

(Also, this would be more acceptable if it was just the kids who were freaking out - they're kids, ok, fine, they can be dumb. Qrow is an experienced hunter and doesn't have any such excuse, yet he's hit the hardest because the plot demands it.)

Comment

• So it turns out the base commander of Argus is a better villain than most.

Also, oh yeah, Adam's here.
        Last edited by ArcaneArts; 01-06-2019, 03:22 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
          stuff
          Dude, spoilers.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
            Dude, spoilers.
            Right, forgot.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              So it turns out the base commander of Argus is a better villain than most.

Also, oh yeah, Adam's here.
              She's still just an antagonist, not a villain. I mean... she might be laughing and cackling manically, but she did fire a non-lethal shot first, and they did try to hijack a plane. And they haven't really given her any reason to trust them beyond telling her it's really important (but they can't say why.)

And, I mean... White could take the relic alone. Her refusal to do so is as much about emotional / plot reasons as it is about logic. Keep in mind, they could all fail and get arrested or even killed here. We know they won't, but it's a real possibility. Yes, there are risks to her going alone, too - although I doubt Adam would have been able to easily ambush her on a direct Atlus military flight - but it wasn't a completely rational decision. The base commander is entirely justified in being skeptical about what sort of mission could be so vital that they want her to violate the blockade, but not so vital that White is willing to keep going alone to carry a message ahead or whatever.

Like, from her perspective White wants to bring a lot of guests Because Friendship, and she's not entirely wrong.
              Last edited by Aquillion; 01-06-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Once again, I'm browsing a RWBY thread

And once again it's giving me PTSD flashbacks to Star Wars threads I've been in

Comment

• Know the feeling

Comment

• Originally posted by Aquillion View Post
                    (Also, this would be more acceptable if it was just the kids who were freaking out - they're kids, ok, fine, they can be dumb. Qrow is an experienced hunter and doesn't have any such excuse, yet he's hit the hardest because the plot demands it.)
                    Yes the depressive alcholic with low self worth issues freaking out after being lied about the point of his mission--and is existential consequences--makes no sense. I mean the weird depression drop in the team is odd--They don't consider other plans yet, besides "kill her", which is either reflective of being taught about problem solving Grimm with "kill it" and not thiking outside the box or lazy writing--but Qrow's like, the most believable "I'm an alcholic adult who's friends all died and family left me over a mission that now seems impossible to win so I'm going to drink until i forget my mistakes.".

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

Yes the depressive alcholic with low self worth issues freaking out after being lied about the point of his mission--and is existential consequences--makes no sense. I mean the weird depression drop in the team is odd--They don't consider other plans yet, besides "kill her", which is either reflective of being taught about problem solving Grimm with "kill it" and not thiking outside the box or lazy writing--but Qrow's like, the most believable "I'm an alcholic adult who's friends all died and family left me over a mission that now seems impossible to win so I'm going to drink until i forget my mistakes.".
                      Qrow’s reaction is very believable to me, especially if he could be brought back around by someone reminding him that everything he did was valuable because of the lives he protected.

I’m just waiting very impatiently for someone to give Qrow and Yang that reality check.

Weiss, Yang, and Blake had this conversation back in Mountain Glenn. Keeping the world safe isn’t a fun, easy, glamorous job. It’s a career that they take on for the sake of the people, and what Oobleck called “a heightened form of extermination.”

Ruby was the only one unbothered by the monotony that day because she knew exactly what she was signing up for.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                        Once again, I'm browsing a RWBY thread

And once again it's giving me PTSD flashbacks to Star Wars threads I've been in
                        Apologies, that was not my intention.

Comment

• wow, there's fans out there who actually think Blake is the abusive one towards Adam. And that the stuff he's done is ok because of her abuse.

Well, at least I got my disgust in humanity recharged

Comment

• Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                            wow, there's fans out there who actually think Blake is the abusive one towards Adam. And that the stuff he's done is ok because of her abuse.

Well, at least I got my disgust in humanity recharged
                            Seems rare enough at least. That said,
                            damn those fights

Comment

• And people were cheering hoping Adam would cut off Yang's other arm

Comment

• found this, it's something someone sent to another blogger who says Adam isn't justified:

https://rwby-analysis.tumblr.com/pos...love-her-until

Comment

Working...
                                X