No announcement yet.

RWBY Volume 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I've got a LOT of predictions how Volume 7 is going to go down.

Pre-Volume Trailer

Just as Ilia basically stole Blake's trailer before Volume 5, and Adam got the only trailer before Volume 6, we might get a trailer focused only on revealing the backstory and motivations of Cinder or Dr. Arthur Watts. We've been left in the dark about Cinder's motivations for too long, and Watts is going to need some fleshing out before he can serve as a principle antagonist this Volume. We know that he's a disgraced Atlesian scientist and doctor, so his past is especially relevant to the next Volume, but Cinder Fall might also come from Atlas for all we know.

We don't know anything about Tyrian's background, but he's been extremely obvious about his motivations. He wants to serve Salem because he sees her as a goddess. That's more than we know about Cinder, who wants to become powerful and feared because... of unknown reasons. Salem is a means to that end, for her, not the end in and of itself.

With Watts, we don't even know what he is trying to get out of this relationship, or why he wants it. He only comes across as better-handled than Cinder because we haven't known him as long, and he's that same kind of snarky, charming villain we lost when Roman Torchwick died.

Since we know Watts has plot-relevant connections to Atlas, we can easily learn more about his past and his desires as the plot progresses, so my money is on Cinder getting the character trailer.

Volume Itself

Our heroes can't land in Atlas City without getting arrested for illegal possession of Atlas equipment. Now that Atlas' military has spotted their approach, they can't attempt to flee, either. They're in jail, and Ironwood is not happy. After he takes the Relic of Knowledge away and locks it up, and sits down without heroes to get some answers, he's furious.

He's also the one in total control, and the one who needs to keep up public appearances by not letting our heroes get away with what they did without punishment.

As the adult nominally in charge, most of the blame falls on Qrow, whom Ironwood consigns to the drunk tank and mandates some time with an alcoholism therapist. If Qrow, on heels of his Volume 6 experiences, agrees that's fair and that he's got a problem he needs help with, Ironwood whips out his scroll in a panic, demanding the therapist appear immediately. Qrow may be cooling his heels a lot this Volume, because detoxing from alcohol is not only terrible for the patient, they also stink to high heavens such that no one wants to be around them. (If we're particularly lucky, Qrow attends the same AAA meeting as Weiss' mother.)

Maria, as a little old blind lady and a virtual stranger to the group, is not held very if at all accountable for their actions, especially if her identity as the Grimm Reaper (and the pilot of the stolen plane) can be kept secret, so she might get off scot-free. Oscar, who can be passed off as Maria's grandson if necessary for any reason, could avoid punishment entirely due to being a minor under Qrow's supervision.

Teams RWBY and JN_R are still in trouble, but Ironwood can actually make that work out for everyone's good (especially Weiss') by enrolling them all in Atlas Academy as part of a juvenile delinquent rehabilitation program. After all, he can vouch that all seven of them are great potential hunters that Remnant desperately needs, and play to Atlesian pride by suggesting that there's no better academy for teaching them how to behave themselves like proper, law-abiding adults.

So, we might not get severe-weather outfits for our heroes as such, but we're could get them wearing Atlas Academy uniforms (which at least are designed somewhat for the cold). It will be an interesting opportunity to see how well their inherent colorfulness is expressed while wearing such colorless clothing.

Since Weiss Schnee should be legally an adult at this point, and would be effectively a criminal against the state, Ironwood's authority over her life finally eclipses that of her parents, so that Jacques cannot simply take her away from Atlas Academy. This might be the straw that finally breaks the back of the two mens' friendship.

Ironwood can convince our teenaged heroes that enrolling in Atlas Academy has other benefits. Now that they've secured the Lamp of Knowledge, where else would they go? They don't know how to take the fight to Salem, so they're stuck playing defensively like always. None of them are licensed hunters, so they won't be allowed to help take Beacon back from the Grimm, so why not do what Team CFVY did and try to finish their formal education? Licenses aside, their skills still need improvement before they can take on the likes of Hazel or Tyrian, and Atlas is now one of the only two hunting academies still operating.

It might be a prison (or a prison away from prison, in the case of Weiss and her family's estate), but at least it's one that is dedicated to making them stronger warriors, and there are worse places to stay while they try to figure out what to do next. (And we, the audience, know that they aren't going to be staying for longer than two or three Volumes, maximum. Vacuo will be a major breath of fresh air, after this arc.)

Oscar especially needs more training, and being forced to enroll at Atlas Academy would be the perfect impetuous for him to become the new P of Team JNPR. He'll be joining Atlas younger than Ruby joined Beacon, but Ozpin's muscle memories and his own field experience should help him qualify, especially with Ironwood's approval.

Ironwood has particular reasons to keep Oscar close and under house-arrest. First of all, because he wants to keep Ozpin close when Ozpin won't force and maybe can't convince Oscar to stay in Atlas. Second of all, because he would like for Ozpin's successor to sympathize more with how Atlas and Ironwood operates, and Atlas Academy is the perfect place to impress upon the boy the superiority of Atlas' methods.

Being in Atlas Academy, of course, brings our heroes into contact with a number of faces we want to see again. Starting with Flynt Coal and Neon Katt. Because if anyone can help our Beacon babies (and Blake in particular, as the only faunus) survive the pressure-cooker that is Atlas Academy, it's Team FNKI, who can show them all the best places on and around (and far from) the campus for letting off steam.

Winter might transfer into the faculty to spend time with Weiss and help her refine her skills offscreen. In a similar way, Maria might have some tips for how Ruby can fight with her scythe and Gravity Rounds. If we meet the two remaining members of Team FNKI, K and I might have tricks or styles relating to other characters. Maybe Nora and Ren, so someone might finally teach Nora how to use Lightning Dust for herself.

Ciel Soleil might return as the opposite of Team FNKI; a teacher's pet trying to make our rule-breaking heroes toe the line. Her screentime might be vanishingly brief; she wasn't even a friend of a friend, and we don't know if Penny was her partner or only suddenly placed on her team just for the Vytal Tournament, but we do know that Ciel and her team were not trusted enough to know about Penny's nature. We might not even meet the rest of Ciel's team. Really, there's only two obvious ways to expand Ciel's potential as an antagonist/obstacle: (1) if she has a new Penny as a partner, whether it is merely a lookalike or the same Penny but with her memories of Ruby missing for whatever reason, with Ciel eager to keep her charge away from a "questionable" influence like Ruby. (2) Ciel's become the Winter Maiden after the Fall of Beacon. Without either of these conditions, Ciel is a footnote at best, and not worthy of revealed weapons, fighting style, or combat Semblance.

If Penny (or a replacement) isn't already active, then we need to see Doctor Polendina directly first, and this is where Yang and Maria come in. Yang's replacement arm was hinted to be made by Polendina, on the Argus Limited she was reading a magazine of prosthestic limbs like she was considering her future options, and her arm was damaged by Adam. Maria was going to Atlas expressly to get her eyes repaired. When they go to see the doctor, Ruby goes with them to learn more about how her sister's and grandmother's parts work, and meets Penny's father.

Depending on how this meeting goes and what Ruby learns, she could finally face a moral dilemma (for that vaunted "character growth" people claim they want to see) if bringing Penny back demands knowledge only Jinn's final answer can provide. Ruby could be forced to choose between saving the world and saving her friend. Even more so if she needs to steal the Staff of Creation, which might have a cost like Equivalent Exchange or an opportunity cost like the Lamp.

It seems unlikely that Ruby would have a subplot of temptation to steal and use the Jinn's last answer for personal gain FOLLOWED by a subplot of dealing with the new Penny being amnesiac or someone completely new, so if she goes through with it, I think she should either totally succeed or totally fail. I'm leaning on "totally fail", as punishment for putting herself before everyone else in the world like Salem did, and so that Penny is spared the guilt of being brought back to life at the cost of everyone else's chances for victory.

Speaking of old magical relics and moral dilemmas, let us return to Ozpin. Atlas Academy is the opportunity that Ozpin has been waiting for since he reincarnated into Oscar. He thought that when he arrived at Haven, he could reconnect with Leonardo and start getting on top of the declining global situation, only for Leo to prove suspiciously shifty and then be revealed as the worst sort of traitor. Then Ozpin lost whatever influence he could have with Ruby's group when he lost their trust and they proved untrustworthy in return. But now he's in Atlas, and Ironwood is no traitor, nor someone who would alienate Ozpin even after learning the truth about Salem, because Ironwood would rather have as much information as possible, even if he takes every word Ozpin says with a grain of salt.

As long as everyone remains in Atlas, under Ironwood's control, Ozpin doesn't need to worry about Oscar choosing to go whichever inadvisably dangerous place Ruby goes; Oscar is finally someplace safe from Salem's assassins, where he can continue training to become the next Wizard. Ozpin probably would have preferred that training to happen in Vale and Beacon, but beggars can't be choosers. And even if Ironwood never trusts Ozpin is telling the whole truth ever again, at least the two of them trust each other enough to cooperate and plan together how they can keep Remnant from falling apart.

Descending from that top-down view, we go to the ground level of Remnant's woes, Team FNKI can take Yang and Blake down into Mantle where free-spirits and faunus can find some fun. This is an opportunity to explore the class divide between Mantle and Atlas City (which I suspect will pay homage to A Tale of Two Cities, though I know nothing about the book besides "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times").

It's also here that our heroes can run into whatever their enemies are doing. Because if Cinder and Neo went anywhere to disappear and look for an opportunity, it would be Mantle first. Tyrian might also be working apart from Watts down in Mantle, seeking out the local White Fang. With Sienna Khan and Adam Taurus dead, the international organization is leaderless, leaving the Atlesian branch answering only to itself and wondering if they should make contact with Ghira Belladonna. Tyrian might instead convince them to serve Salem as Hazel attempted to do with Sienna Khan.

Whatever Watts ends up doing, I'm hoping for a battle of SCIENCE! between him and Doctor Polendina. One wonders if Watts was at all involved in making Penny. If Penny returns, could Watts infect her with a control virus and make her fight Ruby?

Weiss' mother, Willow Schnee, might finally rouse herself from her depressed, drunken stupor to go visit Weiss at the academy to berate her for bringing shame on her mother and the family name. I can't imagine what else Willow cares about, considering that she didn't care enough about her children to be part of their lives.

This confrontation might also finally reveal more about the history of the Schnee family and provide an explanation about why their Semblance is hereditary. I suspect that the snowflake glyphs belonged to a royal or noble family that Nicholas Schnee married into when he became rich (old blood and nouveau riche marrying is an old story).

I might get my wish about Willow attending the same AAA meetings as Qrow if she makes such a disruptive public scene that Ironwood has her arrested as well. If his alliance with Jacques is already broken because of custody over Weiss, then Ironwood has little left to lose by incarcerating the man's wife.

(It would be hilarious if, by the end of the Atlas Arc, Willow divorces her husband and starts a relationship with Qrow, for maximum humiliation against Jacques and lots of amusing awkwardness among our heroes.)

Speaking of Jacques, that's definitely one high-class avenue for civil war that Watts can exploit without getting his hands dirty like Tyrian. And if Jacques does get involved with Salem's schemes, then we could end up having a battle at the Schnee Manor that leaves the building utterly destroyed and Jacques arrested for treason, leaving Willow Schnee in control of her father's company.

Free from Jacques at last, the Schnee family members all reconcile their differences. It is made clear that Whitley, whatever his faults, isn’t to blame for Weiss getting herself disinherited with her own outbursts, and he doesn’t like his father any more than the rest of the family. Weiss is confident that her mother and little brother will straighten the company out and redeem the family name without her, so she can focus on saving the world as a huntress with her team.

But Weiss does take the family yacht, because our heroes need their own air-ship without stealing from the military again. Klein goes along with her to serve as her personal cabin-boy.

Neo is going to manage to steal at least one Relic; possibly the Relic of Creation, so that our heroes won't get to enjoy whatever advantage it could give them. At least with the Lamp, they can't use it for fear of having no more answers for another 100 years or so.

If Cinder manages to kill the Winter Maiden and steal her power, then Atlas Vault is left as unsecure as Mistral's, and our heroes have to transport the Lamp again, this time to Shade Academy in Vacuo. Because where else does a magical genie lamp belong but a desert kingdom? Where it might get stolen and used by Emerald (Aladdin / Cleopatra).

Ruby might get kidnapped by Flying Berlingels and taken into the Solitas wilderness, where Salem is hiding; close enough to control the Grimm to capture and not kill a specific target, but far enough to avoid being seen, and close enough that our heroes can rescue Ruby without having to find Salem's base to do it.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
      If Cinder manages to kill the Winter Maiden and steal her power, then Atlas Vault is left as unsecure as Mistral's, and our heroes have to transport the Lamp again, this time to Shade Academy in Vacuo.
      Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with everything else but I think we're only due for one season in Atlas.

Based tenuously on the needs of narrative pacing and the formula established thus far, I'm tentatively predicting that we're going to follow the season 4/5 structure going forward. By which I mean:

Season 4: Journey to Mistral
      Season 5: Mistral
      Season 6: Journey to Atlas
      Season 7: Atlas
      Season 8: Journey to Vacuo
      Season 9: Vacuo
      Season 10: Journey to Vale
      Season 11: Vale

I'm basically 100% sure the series will end where it began: in Vale. Full circle. Oh, there may be some sort of final confrontation at Salem's evil lair, but the last arc is gonna be back in Vale.

I have a lot more hope for season 7 than I did for 5. We got a more complete picture of Argus and its people in four, five episodes there than we got of Mistral in over a season there. I'm hoping Atlas is more than Mistral was, because Mistral was "one house, a deserted academy, and ten minutes of Qrow wandering alleys."

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

• Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
        Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with everything else
        Doesn't bother me. But I'd love to hear what other people think will happen.

Some posters over at SpaceBattles absolutely hate the idea that our teenage heroes might be forced to enroll at Atlas, but they don't offer any explanation for how Ironwood can get them out of trouble for stealing the airplane, or how they can avoid Ironwood making some effort to keep them under control when they cannot escape his control within his kingdom and still cooperate with him against their enemies. Just like when Weiss was back under her father's thumb, the patriarch holds all of the cards, and righteous anger isn't going to change that.

Ironwood's a good guy, but he's a military man in a militarized kingdom (which probably exercises universal conscription, like other tiny frozen real-world countries who need all the soldiers they can get). Dude is going to run a tight ship, and likely has a poor opinion of Team RWBY and JNPR's discipline. He definitely watched the doubles match with Team FNKI, which FNKI dominated up until the final moments thanks to better teamwork and excellent psychological manipulation. As for JNPR, they lost a lot with Pyrrha's death, and Oscar could use their help to catch up.

Chronologically, Team RNJR spent at least a month in Mistral City, including the time it took Qrow to recover before he introduced them to Leonardo. Even if they only spent a week in Atlas, I would expect plenty of that week to be spent in Atlas Academy uniforms, except when they have free-time to leave campus and see the city(ies) with Team FNKI. And while in Atlas City, where better than Atlas Academy to keep learning how to fight?

but I think we're only due for one season in Atlas.
        The possibility of which is why I didn't mention anything about Team STRQ.

Some fans are so eager for anything Team STRQ related now that Summer Rose has a model, but it just doesn't seem realistic. It seems highly unlikely that either Taiyang or Summer came from Solitas before attending Beacon, and we know the Branwen Twins didn't.

We may not flashback to how Taiyang reacted to Raven's return until after our heroes leave Atlas. Why chase after that plotline when there's already so many to cover in Atlas?

Now, if we have two Volumes in Atlas, then I fully expect something like this:
        Back at Patch Island, Taiyang goes looking for Raven at the barn (house?) where Yang went looking for her as a child. First he immediately asks how his daughters are doing, eventually he challenges her to grow up, and finally he invites her to come see him at his house when she’s done sulking.

After Taiyang feels he’s done what he can to convince Raven to grow up, he has her teleport him to Yang or Qrow, and we get to see Taiyang fight. Probably against Hazel, where Taiyang can demonstrate the wisdom of “sometimes the best path is around the obstacle rather than through it”.

If Raven stays behind, as she likely will, we get to see her walking around Taiyang’s house, looking through his things. Also, Yang’s, Qrow’s, Summer’s, and Ruby’s things, and possibly ends at Summer’s cenotaph. Then she might teleport to Taiyang and rescue him from something. This may or may not lead to her death at Cinder’s hands.

I'm basically 100% sure the series will end where it began: in Vale. Full circle. Oh, there may be some sort of final confrontation at Salem's evil lair, but the last arc is gonna be back in Vale.
        Of course. The Academy that has already fallen. The Relic Crown of Choice that remains hidden and locked away somewhere on its grounds. The end-game, final-disc boss Wyvern monster waiting on the remains of Beacon Tower.

A monster that might be a Boss-Rush type boss, with its spawning ability. A great way for Rooster Teeth to really go all out and have our heroes cut their way through a series of the story's best and most interesting Grimm.

Beacon Academy is the most logical place for our heroes to finally go on the offensive. Right now, and probably until then, our heroes have been on the defensive, never knowing where to attack in order to strike a blow against their enemies. Beacon is the only place we know where they can attack to achieve an objective, whether to take Beacon back or just to retrieve the Relic.

I have a lot more hope for season 7 than I did for 5. We got a more complete picture of Argus and its people in four, five episodes there than we got of Mistral in over a season there. I'm hoping Atlas is more than Mistral was, because Mistral was "one house, a deserted academy, and ten minutes of Qrow wandering alleys."
        I won't say 5 was terrible, but it did disappoint. Volume 6 has also given me plenty of hope for Volume 7.

Obviously, judging by that massive post above.

Comment

Some posters over at SpaceBattles absolutely hate the idea that our teenage heroes might be forced to enroll at Atlas, but they don't offer any explanation for how Ironwood can get them out of trouble for stealing the airplane, or how they can avoid Ironwood making some effort to keep them under control when they cannot escape his control within his kingdom and still cooperate with him against their enemies.
          Well, this is all contingent on what the writers want to happen, because there's a lot of leeway here.

Your scenario is absolutely plausible and believable. However, if the writers don't want to go that way, it is also plausible and believable for Ironwood to cover everything up.

Right now, literally the only people who know that Manta 5-1 was stolen are the people manning Argus Base, and the only person there who knows FOR SURE who it was is Cordovin. Remember, comms can't reach from Anima to Solitas anymore. It is entirely possible that Qrow has Jimmy Jims personal private priority line on speed-dial and is pulling out his scroll the second the camera was off him at the end of the season (if Atlas ATC can communicate with them to say welcome home, that means they're within local tower range of Atlas) and is having a quiet word with him. Ironwood has them cleared to his private landing pad, and has the ship sent back to Argus with regular troops who deliver a sealed confidential pouch to Cordovin: "You did good letting them take the ship. As far as anyone else is concerned Manta 5-1 was dispatched to Atlas to return Weiss Schnee. Your records already reflect that; if they reflect ANYTHING else, or your men believe anything else happened, kindly correct that."

I am not saying this will happen. I'm saying if it did happen, it would be plausible. Ironwood might place more value in keeping this all very quiet and very off-book and minimizing everyones exposure. He might not want to have a big public brouhaha. Especially since as things stand now, the Ozluminati conspiracy is in shambles and Team RWBY and Team JN_R represent teams of assets who are flexible, deniable, and already fully briefed, which means he doesn't have to risk widening the circle of those in the know.

There are also a lot of middle-ground scenarios. What happens is going to be contingent on how much freedom they want the characters have and what conflicts and stories they want to tell. Maybe they don't give a shit about Academy stories anymore and have no interest in making Ironwood a giant pain in the ass for our heroes.

Or maybe you're absolutely right and they do.

Both are super plausible.

Dude is going to run a tight ship, and likely has a poor opinion of Team RWBY and JNPR's discipline.
          ???

Ironwood's one interaction with Ruby Rose was overwhelmingly positive and featured him complimenting her take-no-prisoners full-speed-ahead approach to Huntressing.

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

• Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
            Your scenario is absolutely plausible and believable.
            Thank you. It's nice to have someone with a different opinion say so.

It is entirely possible that Qrow has Jimmy Jims personal private priority line on speed-dial and is pulling out his scroll the second the camera was off him at the end of the season (if Atlas ATC can communicate with them to say welcome home, that means they're within local tower range of Atlas) and is having a quiet word with him. Ironwood has them cleared to his private landing pad
            Thank you! Finally, someone offers a plausible and believable rebuttal to my scenario instead of expressing a purely emotional "I don't like that, I don't want that to happen".

Ironwood might place more value in keeping this all very quiet and very off-book and minimizing everyones exposure. He might not want to have a big public brouhaha.
            I'm sure he'd love to avoid one, but I was operating on the premise that keeping things so quiet was impossible. That the only option he had was damage control.

Especially since as things stand now, the Ozluminati conspiracy is in shambles and Team RWBY and Team JN_R represent teams of assets who are flexible, deniable, and already fully briefed, which means he doesn't have to risk widening the circle of those in the know.
            That's a good point.

Maybe they don't give a shit about Academy stories anymore
            I could argue that they stopped giving a shit about those as soon as Blake's arc in the first Volume, where she runs away from school (on a weekend, but still) to avoid consequences and then decides to become a vigilante. The next major story arc is about Blake leading her team into becoming vigilantes with her, as they wait for classes to end to go investigate more crimes.

For all that they were in school, very little of the story actually involved school. NARUTO had more emphasis on being in school, with students actually having training arcs to learn skills from their teachers, and he had graduated from his academy at the beginning of his story.

But my point is, if our heroes could be in school and still run around saving the world in their free time, they could do it again. Except this time, they're more eager to leave school and aren't happy to return when they're done for the day, because it's no longer a home away from home, but a juvie prison.

and have no interest in making Ironwood a giant pain in the ass for our heroes.
            This is one of those highly variable things that can go whichever way the writers want, depending on how many other obstacles they want to put before our heroes.

Can Ozpin get Ironwood to see reason? Will Ozpin even bother to appear after Ironwood learns the truth about Salem? Do our heroes hide the truth about Salem in the hopes that Ozpin will finally reappear, or does Yang still distrust him so much that she'd rather risk Ironwood going off the rails than ever give Ozpin breathing space?

Is it less that Ironwood is being unreasonable and more that there are serious threats within Atlas that he's trying to deal with, and he's happy to do whatever our heroes want as long as they can help him out?

???

Ironwood's one interaction with Ruby Rose was overwhelmingly positive and featured him complimenting her take-no-prisoners full-speed-ahead approach to Huntressing.
            His interaction with Yang after she broke Mercury's leg on global television was much more strained. He was sympathetic to her stress-induced hallucination (as he understood it), but not her dramatic reaction.

And appreciating Ruby's spirit and initiative is different from admiring her self-control. In any case, it's less about Ruby as a person and more about anything he might remember about Yang and Weiss' embarassing performance against Flynt and Neon, and Team JNPR's embarassing moments against Team BRNZ. All of which should be easily available footage for him to review to refresh his memories of what all of these teenagers are like before he passes a legal judgment.

Comment

His interaction with Yang after she broke Mercury's leg on global television was much more strained. He was sympathetic to her stress-induced hallucination (as he understood it), but not her dramatic reaction.
              It's been a long time since I saw that scene, so I might have to go back to refresh my memory, but I thought his response was more "yes, I can tell something is up, but it doesn't matter. The big picture is more important, and that means we have to deal with what people saw." (The big picture in this case being the risk of a catastrophic trust cascade failure leading to a massive Grimm invasion.)

And in retrospect he wasn't wrong. Yang got a raw deal, but she was still acting like a spoiled child and failing to see what was really at stake (ie. a lot more than her personal reputation.) Ironwood was basically telling her that he could tell something was up and that if she took the fall now in order to limit the potentially-catastrophic damage resulting from what happened, he'd make it good in the long term. And while later events made the damage to her reputation mostly immaterial, he did pay her back - he's the reason she has an arm, remember. That gift shows that he knows who she is and, despite her immaturity at the time, he did respect what she did.

I think he might still be concerned that she's a bit immature (and he was totally right, Yang was immature and reckless back then), but he'd probably be open to the idea that she's grown.

...all that aside, though, while I think having them enroll in Atlas would be fun (I thought the "Harry Potter" school scenes were the best parts of the show), I don't think it's in the cards, since it would feel like slowing things down and lowering the stakes, and the writers seem to be aiming more for escalation. Besides, there's already a ton of stuff to address in Atlas without also adding extensive school subplots in the academy.

The issue was that Season 5 split its focus across a bunch of plot threads. Between glimpses of Atlas, Raven's bandit camp, and the entire Menagerie plotline, we didn't actually get much time at Mistral.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aquillion View Post
                It's been a long time since I saw that scene, so I might have to go back to refresh my memory, but I thought his response was more "yes, I can tell something is up, but it doesn't matter.
                That doesn't jive with him talking about stress-induced hallucinations or his own experience with how those can happen even after the battle is over, and he's rubbing his robot arm as he says this.

Something really bad messed Ironwood up savagely in the past. Probably the thing that cost him half his body. The man is incredible for getting back in the saddle after being crippled so badly, but that doesn't mean he's ever completely recovered.

Yang got a raw deal, but she was still acting like a spoiled child and failing to see what was really at stake (ie. a lot more than her personal reputation.)
                Agreed. Weiss was making similar mistakes after her father took her back to Atlas, what with summoning the boar at the party and then going off on her father when he held all of the cards.

Neither one are to blame for their irrational states of mind. Yang had just been horribly set up and Weiss was in an abusive environment. Neither should their teenage lack of perspective be treated as a personal failing.

...all that aside, though, while I think having them enroll in Atlas would be fun (I thought the "Harry Potter" school scenes were the best parts of the show), I don't think it's in the cards, since it would feel like slowing things down and lowering the stakes, and the writers seem to be aiming more for escalation. Besides, there's already a ton of stuff to address in Atlas without also adding extensive school subplots in the academy.
                I never specified any extensive school subplots.

I offered the possibility that Penny might be back, but she doesn't remember Ruby, and Ciel Soleil is preventing Ruby from interacting with Penny, as well as also being a general pain in the ass for the other heroes. Also that Flynt and Neon might be giving Yang and Blake tips on how to handle an interracial relationship in the Kingdom of Atlas.

Other than that, I didn't see much happening on-screen in the school itself at all, save for maybe an exposition scene where a professor introduces some background and a plot point. Flynt and Neon would actually serve to get at least some of our heroes OUT of the school and into the city. Even the Penny subplot would lead away from the school and into the secret mad scientist labs of Dr. Polendina.

For the most part, I saw enrolling our heroes in Atlas Academy as a way to create tension and pressure within the cast and audience. "How can we/they save the world when they're being forced to go to school?" But beyond that, and the two possible subplots I mentioned, Atlas Academy would just be a way to justify our heroes getting stronger off-screen.

Oh, I just remembered another subplot. It is mandatory that Weiss sings on stage at another concert, with Flynt providing musical accompaniment (possibly with the rest of his team; maybe Neon is a drummer) as she sings another "Fuck You, Dad" song, and this time REALLY spills the tea on him in front of all of Atlas. Because what's he going to do? Double-disown her?

The issue was that Season 5 split its focus across a bunch of plot threads. Between glimpses of Atlas, Raven's bandit camp, and the entire Menagerie plotline, we didn't actually get much time at Mistral.
                And the time we did have at Mistral, it wouldn't have made sense to leave the house. Especially not for the super-secret discussions.

Though, come to think of it, we did see a lot of Kuo Kuana. So in a sense, Volumes 4 and 5 were the Mistral AND Kuo Kuana volumes, and it makes sense that we didn't see as much of one of them as we wanted. (I mean, I wanted to see more of Kuo Kuana as well, but the parts I want to see are the parts of a kingdom we never get to see; the border defenses, the agricultural areas, and the industrial areas.)

Just about the only thing we didn't get to see in Kuo Kuana that we have seen elsewhere is a school.

Comment

Working...
                X