RWBY Volume 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aquillion View Post
    It's been a long time since I saw that scene, so I might have to go back to refresh my memory, but I thought his response was more "yes, I can tell something is up, but it doesn't matter.
    That doesn't jive with him talking about stress-induced hallucinations or his own experience with how those can happen even after the battle is over, and he's rubbing his robot arm as he says this.

Something really bad messed Ironwood up savagely in the past. Probably the thing that cost him half his body. The man is incredible for getting back in the saddle after being crippled so badly, but that doesn't mean he's ever completely recovered.

Yang got a raw deal, but she was still acting like a spoiled child and failing to see what was really at stake (ie. a lot more than her personal reputation.)
    Agreed. Weiss was making similar mistakes after her father took her back to Atlas, what with summoning the boar at the party and then going off on her father when he held all of the cards.

Neither one are to blame for their irrational states of mind. Yang had just been horribly set up and Weiss was in an abusive environment. Neither should their teenage lack of perspective be treated as a personal failing.

...all that aside, though, while I think having them enroll in Atlas would be fun (I thought the "Harry Potter" school scenes were the best parts of the show), I don't think it's in the cards, since it would feel like slowing things down and lowering the stakes, and the writers seem to be aiming more for escalation. Besides, there's already a ton of stuff to address in Atlas without also adding extensive school subplots in the academy.
    I never specified any extensive school subplots.

I offered the possibility that Penny might be back, but she doesn't remember Ruby, and Ciel Soleil is preventing Ruby from interacting with Penny, as well as also being a general pain in the ass for the other heroes. Also that Flynt and Neon might be giving Yang and Blake tips on how to handle an interracial relationship in the Kingdom of Atlas.

Other than that, I didn't see much happening on-screen in the school itself at all, save for maybe an exposition scene where a professor introduces some background and a plot point. Flynt and Neon would actually serve to get at least some of our heroes OUT of the school and into the city. Even the Penny subplot would lead away from the school and into the secret mad scientist labs of Dr. Polendina.

For the most part, I saw enrolling our heroes in Atlas Academy as a way to create tension and pressure within the cast and audience. "How can we/they save the world when they're being forced to go to school?" But beyond that, and the two possible subplots I mentioned, Atlas Academy would just be a way to justify our heroes getting stronger off-screen.

Oh, I just remembered another subplot. It is mandatory that Weiss sings on stage at another concert, with Flynt providing musical accompaniment (possibly with the rest of his team; maybe Neon is a drummer) as she sings another "Fuck You, Dad" song, and this time REALLY spills the tea on him in front of all of Atlas. Because what's he going to do? Double-disown her?

The issue was that Season 5 split its focus across a bunch of plot threads. Between glimpses of Atlas, Raven's bandit camp, and the entire Menagerie plotline, we didn't actually get much time at Mistral.
    And the time we did have at Mistral, it wouldn't have made sense to leave the house. Especially not for the super-secret discussions.

Though, come to think of it, we did see a lot of Kuo Kuana. So in a sense, Volumes 4 and 5 were the Mistral AND Kuo Kuana volumes, and it makes sense that we didn't see as much of one of them as we wanted. (I mean, I wanted to see more of Kuo Kuana as well, but the parts I want to see are the parts of a kingdom we never get to see; the border defenses, the agricultural areas, and the industrial areas.)

Just about the only thing we didn't get to see in Kuo Kuana that we have seen elsewhere is a school.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
      Ember Celicia are arguably bracers and not smashfists.
      Boulders-as-Pebbles Attitude, and the general incompatibility of Lunar Strength Charms with firewand discharges, has got me thinking.

What if Ember Celica is a pair of firewands, built into bracers, which are designed to work together with a punching action so much that Yang's muscle-power contributes to the power of the shots?

Fire Aspect Charms prioritize Strength and Dexterity, Solar Brawlers favor Strength, and Strength-favoring Lunars would want to use their Strength Charms with projectile attacks.

Comment

• I'd just make them artifact bracers that have a projectile attack as the first evocation

Comment

• That seems the easiest way to do it, yes. Dunno how to balance it, though there's probably not much to do. At worst it has to be a Simple evo.

Comment

• That Evocation could require firedust instead of or in addition to pure motes of Essence.

But you don't think that the short-range, punch-assisting explosion would be the first Evocation? You'd start with the ranged attack, and then build into the close-range attack?

Comment

• vol 7 poster is out

I notice they all got new outfits. Weiss's inparticular has a military look to it. Ruby has a really short skirt. And Blake looks like she cut her hair.

Comment

• I really like Weiss' getup!

I have to finish volume 6 at some point. It wasn't even bad.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

• each time I notice, Ruby more or less wears the same style of outfit, whereas the others it was new ensembles. However, despite being a lot like her old ones, it gets a little less childish each time.

it's showing she's growing up

Comment

• meanwhile, the blogs I follow are going nuts over Blake's "bisexual haircut"

Comment

Working...
                    X