Skills List by Attribute in 2e?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skills List by Attribute in 2e?

I'm lost on some of these folks. Is it broken down anywhere what the Wits traits (skills) are? Manipulation? I'm looking for Wits skills at the moment, but I figure at least somebody has had the question asked before? I'm looking for 2e

I don't think any such list exists, because in no edition of Exalted, as far as I know, are Abilities ever permanently attached to specific Attributes. The intent has always been that the Storyteller will choose the most appropriate combination of Attribute + Ability to form the pool, depending on the task.

Comment

Yeah, like you roll Wits+Awareness for Join Battle, but Perception+Awareness to notice stuff.

I mean, I guess you could make a list of all the Wits-based rolls suggested in the Core rules, but a lot of the time it's Storyteller choice so the rules won't say exactly. There aren't explicit rolls for, like, staring contests, playing Gateway, winning an eating competition, noticing the boy you like is wearing the necklace you bought him and he's trying to make you notice that he's wearing it, eating ice without puking, tattooing someone, etc, etc, etc, etc. The ST just chooses an Attribute+Ability they think makes sense, and the point is that you can mix and match to fit the specifics.

For example, writing a sarcastic parody might be Charisma+Linguistics while writing a science textbook might be Intelligence+Linguistics. There's no explicit rules for what to use, I just think it makes sense.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
        I don't think any such list exists, because in no edition of Exalted, as far as I know, are Abilities ever permanently attached to specific Attributes. The intent has always been that the Storyteller will choose the most appropriate combination of Attribute + Ability to form the pool, depending on the task.
        Or let the players negotiate alternative combinations on a case by case basis.

i.e. if the PCs are scrutinising sounds in the distance it'd normally be Perception + Awareness, but a player character with a particular gift for music (Performance) or language (Linguistics) might look for a pattern to suggest if it's one of those, while a character whose travelled the wilderness might use their knowledge of animals to try and identify the sounds (Survival) and so on.

The Freedom Stone is back, help it to live again.

Comment

Yeah, I occasionally let PCs do knowledge checks with a choice of abilities. Like, if they look at a ship and want to know about it, they could roll Per+Lore, Per+Sail, or Per+Craft. Some of the info they'll get (like what kind of ship it is, and where it's from) will be the same, though it might be described differently ("You recognise the flag as being the flag of Lookshy" vs "You recognise that it was built using shipbuilding techniques most popular in Lookshy")

And of course, the social system basically works that way; you generally get to choose whether to convince people in a charismatic or manipulative way, and whether to use normal presence or do some kind of performance, or even do it via a letter.
          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 11-13-2018, 03:56 PM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
            Yeah, I occasionally let PCs do knowledge checks with a choice of abilities. Like, if they look at a ship and want to know about it, they could roll Per+Lore, Per+Sail, or Per+Craft. Some of the info they'll get (like what kind of ship it is, and where it's from) will be the same, though it might be described differently ("You recognise the flag as being the flag of Lookshy" vs "You recognise that it was built using shipbuilding techniques most popular in Lookshy")

And of course, the social system basically works that way; you generally get to choose whether to convince people in a charismatic or manipulative way, and whether to use normal presence or do some kind of performance, or even do it via a letter.

this is how good STs run games

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Working...
            X