Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revamping mass combat: A case for making battle groups into active initiative users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting idea!

I'd been toying with the possibility of modeling a hive mind type of antagonist as being a battle group that can use Charms and has a functioning Initiative/Momentum score.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
      Personally, I value inert initiative and find it saves me a lot of time.

I think Battle Group lethality is a valid concern and one of the reasons why I think the Ex3 core shouldn't be lacking a Storyteller's section because as much as a Battle Group needs commanders to realise their full potential you're also going to want some punchable NPCs around for your PCs to recover Initiative not as sacrosanct rules of a good encounter, so much as acknowledging that their omission can present a serious challenge to some character builds if the Battle Group is formidable enough and should be factored into encounter design with "Legendary Size again!?" and "How much soak makes actions unsatisfactory as the fight drags itself from one round to another like its existence is agony and it craves only the sweet release of death?"
      I won't deny that battle groups are faster. Until I do a playtest I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet the battle groups will likely still be faster by some margin (Which I don't know until I test it).

Houserules I've thought up to make battle groups less lethal are here. Such things do dramatically some of the bit out of them tho, as RAW battle groups are pretty scary initiative toilet in which everything that goes into them are flushed down completely.
      • When a battle group deals damage in a crash instead of applying damage to health levels, roll their damage successes as health level damage. This is counted as a decisive attack for all intents and purposes. This helps as you can use anti-decisive charms against them.
      • Battle groups reward half the magnitude damage you do on withering attacks. Decisive attacks give nothing (Too easy to reset on some AoE attacks otherwise).
      This still makes them lethal and doesn't fix all of the problems I laid out in my beginning post, but I feel it does go a long way for helping.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
      Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Battle groups reward half the magnitude damage you do on withering attacks.
        That seems like a good way to make them less lethal, yeah.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

In my experiences it helps. It doesn't outright solve the massive initiative drain, but it does make it go down a lot more slowly. Dodge users especially love it as it allows their defense to remain high.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
          Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Working...
          X