Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First circle demons as teachers and sensei?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An idea for another demon. What about a demon that allows you to gain background dots or merits?

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      An idea for another demon. What about a demon that allows you to gain background dots or merits?
      Not sure what you mean by background dots. But merits, sure. Should probably not be a "merit demon" though but rather a demon capable of granting a specific, or a few specific merits. With either a significant drawback or for xp.

Comment

I like demons as traditional tutors- peronelles as translators and language instructors, chrysogenae as political advisors, etc. Injecting knowledge directly seems too easy-most things from the Demon City can't create without cost.

Maybe a demonic tree that eats scholars and bears fruit dripping with their knowledge? Requires you to find someone with the required skill set and make 'em into fertilizer.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
        -Roger Zelazny

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post
          Injecting knowledge directly seems too easy-most things from the Demon City can't create without cost.
          That's why I phrased it in terms of sucking out ignorance, and presented that as something that can be dangerous when it's around people that are a good deal more ignorant.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

That's why I phrased it in terms of sucking out ignorance, and presented that as something that can be dangerous when it's around people that are a good deal more ignorant.
            I like that.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
            -Roger Zelazny

Comment

I think there are two main types of "weird" you sign up for when you get tutored by demons. They're not going to try to trick you or whatever, spirit-of-the-agreement and all that. But there are some things they can't help.

First, you're going to learn whatever you learn from them within their idiom. A blood ape CAN tutor you in Brawl, but you're not going to learn Queensbury Rules pugilism, you're going to learn brutal, gouging-and-joint-snapping dirty fighting. Mechanically the same but potentially different narratively speaking. Ditto learning Craft from a hopping puppetteer, Perform from a Gilmyne, etc.

Second, and particularly if you've summoned them to teach children, spending time with demons might give you some personality quirks. Sure, your kids are learning Lore from the Chrysogonae, but they're also spending two or three hours per day with a demon that loves betrayal and usurpation. Their sense of right and wrong might get a bit slanted?

Comment

In other words, they fit perfectly within dynastic society?

Comment

Working...
                X