Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First circle demons as teachers and sensei?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An idea for another demon. What about a demon that allows you to gain background dots or merits?

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      An idea for another demon. What about a demon that allows you to gain background dots or merits?
      Not sure what you mean by background dots. But merits, sure. Should probably not be a "merit demon" though but rather a demon capable of granting a specific, or a few specific merits. With either a significant drawback or for xp.

Comment

I like demons as traditional tutors- peronelles as translators and language instructors, chrysogenae as political advisors, etc. Injecting knowledge directly seems too easy-most things from the Demon City can't create without cost.

Maybe a demonic tree that eats scholars and bears fruit dripping with their knowledge? Requires you to find someone with the required skill set and make 'em into fertilizer.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
        -Roger Zelazny

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post
          Injecting knowledge directly seems too easy-most things from the Demon City can't create without cost.
          That's why I phrased it in terms of sucking out ignorance, and presented that as something that can be dangerous when it's around people that are a good deal more ignorant.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

That's why I phrased it in terms of sucking out ignorance, and presented that as something that can be dangerous when it's around people that are a good deal more ignorant.
            I like that.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
            -Roger Zelazny

Comment

I think there are two main types of "weird" you sign up for when you get tutored by demons. They're not going to try to trick you or whatever, spirit-of-the-agreement and all that. But there are some things they can't help.

First, you're going to learn whatever you learn from them within their idiom. A blood ape CAN tutor you in Brawl, but you're not going to learn Queensbury Rules pugilism, you're going to learn brutal, gouging-and-joint-snapping dirty fighting. Mechanically the same but potentially different narratively speaking. Ditto learning Craft from a hopping puppetteer, Perform from a Gilmyne, etc.

Second, and particularly if you've summoned them to teach children, spending time with demons might give you some personality quirks. Sure, your kids are learning Lore from the Chrysogonae, but they're also spending two or three hours per day with a demon that loves betrayal and usurpation. Their sense of right and wrong might get a bit slanted?

Comment

In other words, they fit perfectly within dynastic society?

Comment

A question on injecting knowledge. How many dots? How fast should it fade?

Comment

Fullankar, the textbook wasps.
                    Demon of the First Circle
                    Progeny of the Obsessive Scholar

The Obsessive Scholar is a patron of the arts and of knowledge, with a grand wish to spread understanding and enlightenment throughout Malfeas, the Underworld, Creation, and Heaven itself. Each beggar a poet. Each street urchin a weapons grandmaster. Each street sweeper an artist. Sadly, in these fallen times, most do not have the time nor the inclination to study his books, no matter how well-written or how comprehensive. Why read about the vagaries of the stars, when one is wondering where to find his next meal? Why read about the Treatises of Ahnschlus, when one is trying to till the field for the next harvest? And so, the Obsessive Scholar, with some hesitation, made the decision for them. He made the Fullankar.

The Fullankar, in their dormant form, appear as any form of information recording, and acts as a comprehensive guide and work on a single subject, whether it is melee, war, or medicine. Whether in first-age crystal tablet, paperback book, or silken scroll. In this form, they are near-indistinguishable from other, more mundane books. Using the Fullankar in this form allows one to train themselves up as if they were studying under a tutor, and reduce training times to a third. The knowledge and words themselves slotting themselves into a reader's mind, the pictures, inscriptions, and diagrams, seemingly coming alive on the page itself, the reader's body subconsciously twitching as the book describes how one swings a sword or how to carry out a surgical procedure.

In the other form, the book itself unfurls. Transforming into a Fullankar's full form. It is the size of a dog. A stinger, composed out of punctuation. Wings, made from pictures. Feet, made from adjectives. A shell composed out of nouns. Flickering in and out of existence with compound eyes made from verbs, the Fullankar has a stinger composed out of prepositions, dripping with venom. It is the venom that is key to its abilities. When the Fullankar stings, there is no pain. And then, enlightenment.

The venom of the Fullankar is composed out of liquified and materialized knowledge, an exact copy of the knowledge composed in its other form. It is not harsh. Not much worse than a bee sting. As the poison courses through one's veins, the information within can be accessed by the mind of the victim, allowing it to act as if it had been trained in it all his or her life. A peasant farmer can become a melee fighter that surpasses all but the greatest of mortals, specializing in the use of hoes. An untrained beggar can become the greatest mortal surgeon in the entire region. An newbie brat can become a general that wins against all but the greatest of forces arrayed against him***.

This comes with a price, though. It being poison, and the Obsessive Scholar not realizing the complications caused due to himself being a second circle demon, the poison itself hinders the victim, or beneficiary, of the Fullankar. A swordsman will find his tongue numb, his speech slurred. A surgeon would find that, although his fingers are now nimble and precise, his feet have become sluggish, forcing him to use a cane. A great general's skin now produces a horrible smell, forcing all but the bravest of courtesans to flee from him. *

And it being poison, the Fullankar's toxin does damage to the body, costing one lethal health level per week. After several weeks**, the poison runs its course, and is purged by the mortal's native defenses, and disappears. And with it, goes the knowledge and puissance it grants.****

*Never will the penalty of using the poison of a Fullankar ever negate the gifts of its venom.

** A month

*** Increased dots, plus specialty. War 5 with a specialty against being outnumbered is a hell of a thing

**** I think I should put a limit on how many times one can get stung by a Fullankar before they collapse into a puddle of nouns.

Comment

Were you saying Fullankar should collapse after it stings too many times or the subject being stung?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                        Were you saying Fullankar should collapse after it stings too many times or the subject being stung?
                        The subject.

Comment

I love the imagery, but I think the effect is a bit strong. I'd suggest pulling it back a little bit and/or having the Fullankar die when it stings; rather than being an exact copy of the demon's knowledge, the venom is the knowledge and the knowledge is the demon.

Comment

Aw come on. That means it's one use. Besides, it doesn't fit the imagery I had in my head.

Comment

A lone 1st Circle that can sting a whole legion up to Melee 5 + Specialty in a go seems broken to me, and slow-burn damage and some temporary social drawback don't make up for it. Then factor in that you can do the equivalent for any Ability + Specialty you want. That easily feels more like 3rd Circle scale power.

The way I see it, the any-subject training manual power is already strong enough to justify their existence. So the sting should be less powerful (say, just the Specialty) and/or less accessible (e.g. one-time use, or 1/week use, or high cost-per-use).

Comment

Wait wait wait. It's not any subject

Comment

Working...
                                X