Map-to-globe spherical Creation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map-to-globe spherical Creation

Rather than necro the last thread I found on this topic, I thought I'd share this incredibly cool website I found, and what turned out to be the near-perfect visualization for my/our image of a round Creation in the Third Age:

https://www.maptoglobe.com/ByPJDiA6X

Y'know that red banner on the left of the First Age map? It's perfect for the swath of Creation still held by the Wyld...if the borders are pushed back to roughly First Age levels, of course. The ice cap and fire cap (it's still a universe run by/on magic) are overrun in the Age of Sorrows, as are much of the regions around the poles of Wood and Water. I figure enough white space could do the same thing for a Second Age map on maptoglobe.com. (Great site, IMO.) This is really helpful to us, since our campaign is going to steal Shards stuff for the Outside Space portions of the campaign, and it'll let me threw maps from other game supplements onto this site for new worlds as the heroes find them.

So, is anyone else going to play with this?

Heroes die. Hope is a phoenix.

I'm not a fan of the gigantic wyld zone.
    To me the appeal of having Creation as a globe is that you connect the far west to the far east turning the 'empty' edge of the world into a major trade route and I can see a little wyld making things interesting, but this much makes the prospect of travel from Saigoth to Sperimin a "turn around and go the other way" deal, even to most Exalts.

The Freedom Stone is back, help it to live again.

Comment

Anyone think of bending it the other way? As in nake it on the inside surface of a hollow sphere. Kinda like Pelucidar or a Dyson Shell.
      Last edited by vampire hunter D; 11-19-2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I think one issue there is that the elemental poles are all wonky. If I was designing a spherical creation I'd probably place the outer poles at the corners of a tetrahedron within the planet, with Earth at the centre.

I mean sure, it takes some significance away from mount meru but it's not like it does all that much anyway.

Comment

https://www.maptoglobe.com/SJpdEVxRm

Tried it with the updated 3e map, I like this site.

Wisdom of the Ancient Sages (Homebrew sorcerous initiation based on anima) | Expanded spells & charm for Elemental summoning

Comment

Originally posted by MrFamiliar View Post

Certainly makes a much better globe in my opinion, I like how the Dreaming Sea connects pretty seamlessly to the great Western Ocean.

Comment

I thought the 3rd ed globe was very interesting, as it helps you compare distances to the real world (flat real-world maps are normally Mercator projections, which have misleading size).

But then I realised the world isn't exactly the same size as Creation, so I thought I'd compare them.

The real world is about 25000 miles around, and 12500 miles north-to-south (not exactly, of course; it's wider around the middle than north-to-south). That's north-to-south overland of course, not through the middle.

Creation, according to the 3rd ed map, is about 11000 miles North-to-South, and 17000 miles East-to-West. Though of course, that's just the map... obviously the edges are quite nebulous, as they bleed into the Wyld.

So, I think you can use this map to compare North-to-South distances pretty well, but East-to-West isn't quite as much as in the real world.

Obviously if you know all the numbers you can compare it anyway, but I think it's easier to visualise with pictures.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

The place where Wood and Water overlap would be an interesting region. Aquatic plants in profusion perhaps? I would be tempted to spread them out so that Earth, Wood, and Water are equidistant around the equator.

Which on this globe would put the Pole of Water somewhere north of the Caul, and the Pole of Wood around Ixcoatli
                Last edited by Exthalion; 11-19-2018, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I honestly really dislike that first age map from 2e, because it doesn't sell the idea of creation as larger in the first age much at all. In my opinion, each axis of the map should have gotten at least 50% longer (AKA 1 quarter on each end) for the first age map. Or rather, I believe that a 1/3 reduction in the overall dimensions of creation from its first age borders is the absolute least that should have come of a series of events like the Great Contagion and Balorian Crusade, after a thousand or so years of the most fragile borderlands wyld shaped in the first age being gradually eroded by a relative lack of global connectivity.

Comment

Originally posted by PlotVitalNPC View Post
                    I honestly really dislike that first age map from 2e, because it doesn't sell the idea of creation as larger in the first age much at all. In my opinion, each axis of the map should have gotten at least 50% longer (AKA 1 quarter on each end) for the first age map. Or rather, I believe that a 1/3 reduction in the overall dimensions of creation from its first age borders is the absolute least that should have come of a series of events like the Great Contagion and Balorian Crusade, after a thousand or so years of the most fragile borderlands wyld shaped in the first age being gradually eroded by a relative lack of global connectivity.
                    I've got mixed feelings on the map's size.
                    For DotFA as an alternate setting in the High First Age, it's horribly uninspired and makes all the talk about Creation before the Balorian Crusade seem like bluster and propaganda.
                    For DotFA as a collection of source books, it constrains the relevant locations to places that Age of Sorrows PCs can for the most part still interact with.

A more general complaint I have is how sparse it is, whatever the mindset towards the suppliment this should've been one of the most thorough maps of Creation that way people playing in this setting can look at the sheer number of cities and go "yes, it feels like 10 billion people live in this version of Creation" while people using DotFA as a source books could go "huh there used to be 4 First Age cities in the area where my game is going on, maybe I can send my PCs to one?"

Comment

Originally posted by MrFamiliar View Post

It’s all fun and games until the entire East Coast is a straight line.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                        whatever the mindset towards the suppliment this should've been one of the most thorough maps of Creation that way people playing in this setting can look at the sheer number of cities and go "yes, it feels like 10 billion people live in this version of Creation" while people using DotFA as a source books could go "huh there used to be 4 First Age cities in the area where my game is going on, maybe I can send my PCs to one?"
                        So like... a map that is just covered with lots of extra dots? Do they all need to be named?

I feel as though any kind of map at that scale that isn't colour-coded with a population key isn't really effective at conveying the kind of information that you're looking for there.

Although... no, there are angles I'm not considering properly there. If a sparse Creation is compared...

Part of the issue is that neither version has familiar nation states, although even those are limited in the kind of information they convey... what would be different in a map of China today from one sixty years ago...

It is way too late, and I have been sleeping terribly for more than a week.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I think you make fair points about cities.

Hmmm... One way to make it feel less sparse would be to expand the arable land. In some parts of the map that's been done, but the South basically looks the same; the desert with no cities (well, one) just extends further South, which actually makes the occupied coastal strip look smaller. If green land with cities extended further South, it'd be an obvious change from the Age of Sorrows.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Yeah, I'm not suggesting a random scattershot of dots to try and convey that there's 20 times as many people.

The East doesn't need more cities but like the South, The North could have also benefited from a visual indicator that it was once better cultivated for a human population and with international travel and commerce much easier, the West could do more with it's smaller islands.
                            Last edited by Lioness; 11-20-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Maybe a map that was colour coded with population density could work.

Comment

Working...
                              X