No announcement yet.

Florivet, Whim of the Wind, and Iyutha the Madling Hellstorm: Fan conversions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florivet is one of my favorite antagonists from any edition. Thanks!

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Perhaps he put it all in Charisma instead.

But sexually.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised to find that Florivet is that comparatively puny in terms of strength and attack stats. I'd have thought any second circle demon with any martial leanings at all would seriously overshadow the average first circle demon, though I figure Octavian is around the upper limit of such.

Comment

Florivet is really more of a wandering wastrel than a fighter.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

He is. And he can control the weather. Summoners mostly summon him for that, or to ask him about demonic Lore. (Perhaps he should have a charm for that?)

I should also say;
            A) Octavian is right at the top of the Second Circle in terms of combat... And also Resolve (and therefore summoning difficulty). He has a good Resolve and can pump it (and arguably apply his Defining intimacy). Florivet, by contrast, is easy to bind. So I based his power level on Alveua/Mara/Sigereth, not Octavian.

B) He's better at combat than he looks. Firstly, he has enormous soak. Second, he has a decent amount of health levels. Third, he's a flying archer, so can shoot close range fighters with impugnity.

In the fight I built them for, the Wyld Hunt attacked our Solar sorceress and co.
            They killed the sorceress's dragon, and Alveua. Florivet was hit with agg-dealing magic, normal attacks, etc, and walked away with minor wounds.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

People have commented a lot on Florivet. Any comments about Iyutha, or are people pretty happy with her?

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                People have commented a lot on Florivet. Any comments about Iyutha, or are people pretty happy with her?
                I'll be honest – I never paid that much attention to her. The fewer books I have to flip through to understand a thing, the more attention I generally pay to that thing.

When I played 2e, for instance, Octavian was statted in the Core book, with all his Abilities and Charms right there. I only needed the one book, so I referenced him fairly often.

The Frog Queen, though, had stats in The Books of Sorcery, vol. IV: Roll of Glorious Divinity - Gods and Elementals, where almost all the spirit Charms were stored… except the ones from the Core. So I only had to occasionally check the Core to make use of the Frog Queen in my game. Two books.

Makarios had his stats in The Books of Sorcery, vol. V: Roll of Glorious Divinity - Ghosts and Demons, but you still had to reference back to RoGD1 to know what his Charms actually did, as well as the Core for the basic stuff. Three books.*

Iyutha had been published in the Malfeas book, which meant I had to scour bits from CoCD:M, RoGD2, RoGD1, and the Core, every time I wanted to use her. That's too many books, dammit.

Of course, once the Fair Folk Errata was published, I just clutched my temples and screamed.

Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 11-23-2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

That's understandable. It's a pity, because Malfeas had a lot of interesting demons in, but the way spirit charms were written was a huge drag

Comment

She's one that I know less than Florivet, but give me a while and I'll get back to you.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

A) Octavian is right at the top of the Second Circle in terms of combat... And also Resolve (and therefore summoning difficulty). He has a good Resolve and can pump it (and arguably apply his Defining intimacy). Florivet, by contrast, is easy to bind. So I based his power level on Alveua/Mara/Sigereth, not Octavian.
                      Oh I'm not knocking your interpretation, it's in line with his published stats in Games of Divinity. I just hadn't paid much attention to them before, and had the mistaken impression that he (and all second circles not manifesting in some combat-inappropriate form like Sigereth) would be more physically imposing.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                        the mistaken impression that he (and all second circles not manifesting in some combat-inappropriate form like Sigereth) would be more physically imposing.
                        From what I can remember off-hand, basically all Second Circle Demons have one or two powers that can be used to impose themselves violently on people around them and put up at least a token effort if they're assaulted, like, say, Berengiere being able to draw back her veil and unleash a hail of rock and brimstone, but I never really got the impression that doing so was meant to be particularly threatening to Celestial Exalted that were decent at fighting.

Comment

My impression was that all the 2nd circles were good at combat compared to mortals just be virtue of being Essence 5-7*, but not that they were necessarily good at combat relative to their Essence.
                          Just like with Exalts, you get combat demons and non-combat demons.

Makarios for example, has Dex 6, Martial Arts 1, and no combat excellencies. Though I guess he can give people dreams and nightmares, even in combat. Gumela, like Makarios, is primarily a social demon, but he can snarl people with his jeweled threads.

*Obviously in 3rd ed their essence is lower, but I don't think they're actually less powerful. I'd argue Octavian and Mara are more of a combat threat than in 2nd edition!

Anyway:
                          basically all Second Circle Demons have one or two powers that can be used to impose themselves violently on people around them and put up at least a token effort if they're assaulted
                          This seems like a good rule of thumb.
                          Even Sigereth comes with a guy to carry her around who has decent stats and could punch someone in the face if they try to run off with her.

Alveua's probably a good example in 3rd ed; she has I think 1 offensive and 1 defensive charm, but she's not a fighter, she's a craft demon.

Comment

This seems like a good rule of thumb.
                            Even Sigereth comes with a guy to carry her around who has decent stats and could punch someone in the face if they try to run off with her.

Alveua's probably a good example in 3rd ed; she has I think 1 offensive and 1 defensive charm, but she's not a fighter, she's a craft demon.

If memory tricks me not, Alveua 1-2 charms each, of Essence requirement around half her Essence or slightly above that. Yes, does sound like a good rule of thumb/reference example in making up charms to round out a spirit's capacities while being somewhat outside their prefered arena.

Comment

Yeah, it could also apply to, say, social charms for a combat demon.

Comment

Makarios for example, has Dex 6, Martial Arts 1, and no combat excellencies. Though I guess he can give people dreams and nightmares, even in combat. Gumela, like Makarios, is primarily a social demon, but he can snarl people with his jeweled threads.
                                Makarios is one in which I think that he might have a better than many defensive Charm in the form of being able to become insubstantial and dreamlike, if not disappear entirely into a kind of dream state.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz
                                *Obviously in 3rd ed their essence is lower, but I don't think they're actually less powerful. I'd argue Octavian and Mara are more of a combat threat than in 2nd edition!
                                Yes, I'd say the Essence thing has been adjusted to make the demon hierarchy less top heavy, but it doesn't need to be too much of a concern when you've got a priority of giving the likes of Octavian a sophisticated combat suite, and Mara has a Martial Art that she can use with Mastery.

Yeah, it could also apply to, say, social charms for a combat demon.
                                Maybe in the case of somebody that one might expect to have a distinctly intimidating aura, or a bit of social prowess is inherent to the concept, but I otherwise think it doesn't need to go in the other direction very much, because social abilities tend to have less of the visual flesh or sense of applying their base power in a focused burst that some of the attack tricks do.

Anyway, I will definitely look at Iyutha a bit later on.

Comment

Working...
                                X