Personal version of Creation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal version of Creation

You ever get pissed off, and then, like, make your own version of Creation because the one in canon has some things that you don't like? Yeah. This is the thread for this.

1. Yes. There are general excellencies for everything, anyone. In fact, anyone that can channel essence can use excellencies. Its just the way things work. Anything with essence has an advantage over those without. Even demons have general excellencies.

2. Sorcery is a lot more easier than the book lets on. Ok, fine, its hard. But if you were to go into a city, there's at least 1 or 3 sorcerers inside. All busy doing sorcerous workings or summoning elementals or casting spells. Basically, Creation is really, really, magical.

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    You ever get pissed off, and then, like, make your own version of Creation because the one in canon has some things that you don't like? Yeah. This is the thread for this.
    There's already a thread for this. It's called "Your Headcanon."

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      There's already a thread for this. It's called "Your Headcanon."
      Aw man. Really?

I thought that one was meant for fluff.

Comment

It kinda is. Like, maybe the sorcery thing would fit there but not the "everything gets excellencies" one.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
          It kinda is. Like, maybe the sorcery thing would fit there but not the "everything gets excellencies" one.
          Ok.

Um....

The difficulty for sorcerous workings in my personal headcanon is easier. lower the difficulty by 2 and add 2 extra means.

Comment

I don't know if this is exactly the same, but in the 3rd ed game I ran:
            Demons could only be summoned at Calibration;
            The Neverborn slumbered too deeply to give orders, so the Deathlords just did what they wanted;
            The Gates to Yu-Shan were blocked and Heaven had little influence over Creation;
            The Guild was only a Scavenger Lands thing, other regions had other cartels;
            Lytek knew how to turn Abyssals into Solars;
            Luna and the Unconquered Sun were dead;
            All 8 Autocthonian natios had returned, in different parts of the world.

This isn't quite the same, because it was 26 years after the canon start date, and these were all after-effects of things the PCs had done or at least been involved in. They destroyed the Guild's HQ, they used the Realm Defence Grid to put a barrier between Heaven and Creation, etc. It wasn't an alternate canon per-se, it was just the development of the game, but I guess it ended up with key differences.

But they were things I facilitated because of stuff that irritated me or I was bored by. For example, I'd done a ton of Abyssal plot and didn't want to do anymore. I wanted PCs to be able to play the reincarnations of past characters who'd become Abyssals. I don't like god-plot (ghosts and elementals are fine, but I don't like plot about gods). I knew I'd have no rules for Sidereals. I'd seen demons used so much that they overshadowed PCs. Etc, etc.
            Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 11-23-2018, 07:15 PM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
              It could fit if there's a statement of intent for how he envisions that affecting the setting, It's certainly a move towards mortals as moving scenery.

The Freedom Stone is back, help it to live again.

Comment

Currently running a game of 2nd/homebrew and was a bit bored with the original setting (been running campaigns in it for nearly a decade now on and off). So placed it probably at least a thousand years further down the road where most people appearing in canon are safely dead and gone, basically only keeping the mechanics and how the world works and nothing of its canon characters and nations. Its refreshing and so far the only canon characters to appear do so as mumified corpses or in ancient and confused historic texts even the unconquered sun seems to be a younger less capable version then the original so far perhaps it has something to do with the heavenly bureucracy having fallen and Yu-Shan being turned into kingdoms warring over worship, maybe the disapperance of the maidens is part of it who knows.

While at it I decided to change a few things. The first two mostly becuase the early adventures of my players shouldn't have an exalt poping up behind every rock they turned over.
                - Mortal heroics are not really limited to essence 3, they just rarely archive higher.
                - Circles of sorcery are available for more creatures at high essence then normal.
                - Demons are not bound when summoned you have to negotiate with them and most are eminently willing to negotiate if the work is right. Some however just go directly to join battle.
                Last edited by chance; 11-24-2018, 07:16 AM.

Comment

What did you do for the nations then, just completely made up your own? Or did you have some that had evolved and changed over a millenium?

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                    What did you do for the nations then, just completely made up your own? Or did you have some that had evolved and changed over a millenium?
                    Mostly made up ones but some carry a bit of flavor from earlier nations such as a version of the Immaculate faith having survived in a particular region. Mostly however being around exalts for 1000+ years means there is nothing recognizable except artifacts both magical, archeological and dimly remembered history. There have also been some fairly conclusive evidence uncovered by the players of a real apocalyptic-cataclysm happening somewhere around the time where the game breaks with the regular canon and while they have not uncovered what it was, it is obvious very little of what came before remained after it.

I started with a 18 page description of the players home nation inteded to be a bit of china under the first emperor.

Now two years later there is a multitude of nations as the players have become something of explorers in a world where few know what is over the next hill or at least beyond the next kingdom.

Comment

Not sure if it would be this or a shard but I sometimes ponder stuff like "What if everyone could use essence? What would that do to the setting?"

Like, not giving mortals charms, but letting them all attune to stuff and learn MA and shit like that.

Comment

I always interpret the "Headcanon" thread as having a lot about changes, usually minor ones, that generally add to things not nailed down in canon or change cultures and history slightly. Full of useful gameable stuff, but not a massive change from normal Creation assumptions. Rather than "I'm consciously gonna go left where canon goes right. For Very Big Deals. Because I wanna go left when canon goes right, cos I prefer that." stuff. Even where it can encompass both. This thread seems a bit different in intent.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          For example, I'd done a ton of Abyssal plot and didn't want to do anymore.
                          I can relate to this. When my game moved from 2nd to 3rd edition game I wanted to take a break from the Deathlords for the forseeable future.

Essentially there was a conclave in Stygia to decide what to do with the soul fragment that once empowered the Silver Prince. The PCs stole it out from under them and the Deathlords basically all thought one of the others was the mastermind behind this. So Stygia got destroyed in the crossfire and the Calendar of Setesh was badly damaged, reverting the Underworld to it's early First Age state rendering travel virtually impossible. Nobody really thinks they've seen the last of them but in the meantime they're hemorrhaging loyal followers and losing bases of operation.

The Freedom Stone is back, help it to live again.

Comment

Doing a big disaster like the destruction of the Calendar of Setesh also means you can use the new way the Underworld works if you want, with an explanation.

That's what I did with the Neverborn; because the Deathlords and the ghost of Chejop Kejak put them into deep slumber, the Underworld has been slowly losing its reflective nature, so a lot of it has become a dark sea.

Comment

I'm starting up a reworked version of Creation. The writeup for it is pretty poor yet. But the gist is that there is no single heaven, hell, or underworld. No celestial bureaucracy - at least not one that is correctly and authoritatively in charge of anything. No Games of Divinity, and no cabinet of Exaltations.

Instead, Creation has a number of adjacent worlds or other pocket realms, called Aeons. An Aeon may be like a Creation-spanning age (Age of Sorrows or the First Age or the like) or a particularly supernaturally potent empire, or a concept or pantheon. Gaia sheds the Aeons as they come to an end.... often cataclysmically. But not all of them drop into the void and vanish. Some remain stuck, held in place by the passions and power of its denizens.

As there is no bureaucracy assigning Exaltations, the Exaltations themselves vary in number as Aeons come and go. Some ages may have a handful of Solars, ruling empires enough to span the world. Some may have hundreds standing shoulder to shoulder to fight a single foe. The Exaltations are attracted by the will and resolve of mortals. Some of them are new, created in the moment. Some may be drawn up from the dead Aeons, as heroes of prior ages reborn into a troubled world.

Some of the Chosen, or sometimes powerful gods, dwell on in their Aeons as they die and are shed. Their might keeps the Aeon from dissolving entirely into the Void. With time and opportunity, these mighty beings seek ways to reach Creation - sometimes to carve their imprint upon the world anew, and sometimes to ressurrect their long-dead empires. Some of those who return are warped by the experience, becoming Abyssal or Infernal.

Other Aeons may be found by the intrepid Celestial traveler. There are heavens and hells, burrows, bridges, phantasms, and waypoints. Each Aeon has its own internal rules and rulers, which flow from the demiurgic Power sustaining them.

Of special note is the Underworld - or more properly the Common Underworld. This vast Aeon seems to be eternally attached to Creation, unable to be shed and fall away into the Void. It collects many lost things and lost souls, and connects to the Labyrinth and any number of terrifying pits and bolgias.

I'm trying to get it cleaned up in time for my players to discover it.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Working...
                              X