[Ex3, PEACH] The Silent Heralds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the Lahjar even yell?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      Can the Lahjar even yell?
      Not really.

Comment

Perhaps give it something it avoids or wants, like Adorjan's aversion to noise. Then you can have some bit of folklore that to drive away earworms what you actually do is let fish burn on the fire, and occasionally someone meets a lahjar and realizes that they hate the stink of burning fish and thats how you get lahjar out of the village.

But sexually.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis View Post
          Perhaps give it something it avoids or wants, like Adorjan's aversion to noise. Then you can have some bit of folklore that to drive away earworms what you actually do is let fish burn on the fire, and occasionally someone meets a lahjar and realizes that they hate the stink of burning fish and thats how you get lahjar out of the village.
          That’s a good angle, yeah.

Comment

I'm probably biased because I helped contribute to the idea, but I find the need to figure out an overt and easy way to drive the creature away to not be in the spirit of things, nor was people looking at its basic ability and insisting on finding ways for that to not be merely annoying, but actively harmful in a way that it needs to be curtailed or dealt with to deal with a major problem that people are projecting on it.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Getting away from harrassing, the uses I can see for this are mostly as communicative--I'm not sure if it's actually incredibly useful, but situating these demons into relays seems very handy--after all, you can communicate over a mile with a thought!
              I did originally think of the haunting thing, but I think that'd be more "use the demon to imitate a higher power/feed someone lines" angle. I like the little buggers though.

The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5
              Patreon, with my own games, horror stories, and folklore research here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
              San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here
              My free folklore research and horror writing blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis View Post
                I agree, think that this is what would be most beneficial in fleshing the demon out.

I mean otherwise maybe add something about these demons being natural food source because if there was something that could annoy more people in a small area and was slow, if I was another demon I would eat em.

Accelerator should pop this in the demon thread if Count isn’t going to.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                  I agree, think that this is what would be most beneficial in fleshing the demon out.
                  I've already implied or stated a number of things the Lajhar likes (gossip, climbing, making announcements) - why does it need more to be fleshed out?

I mean otherwise maybe add something about these demons being natural food source because if there was something that could annoy more people in a small area and was slow, if I was another demon I would eat em.
                  They may be slow-moving, but given how one who ventures from its mother's tree is resistant to pretty much any source of damage save for aggravated attacks, I expect that eating one would be more effort than it's worth. I imagine it'd be like Achilles trying to deface Hector's corpse.

Accelerator should pop this in the demon thread if Count isn’t going to.
                  If my demon still needs fleshing out, I don't want to see it posted anywhere else just yet.
                  Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 12-01-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

It’s pretty fleshed out, the other things were optional suggestions.

But clams developed tough shells but critters still figure out how to eat them.

But maybe how they originated and how they procreate? Or did I miss them budding off the Mothertree. Like their official title is Lahjar, the Silent Heralds, Progeny of the Mothertree?

Comment

But clams developed tough shells but critters still figure out how to eat them.
                      Have you read the Iliad?

But maybe how they originated and how they procreate?
                      They were created by the Tree Who Climbs to make announcements over the general noise that pervades the Demon City. They don't really reproduce themselves.

Or did I miss them budding off the Mothertree.
                      They do indeed emerge from her. I'll make sure and provide the details when I flesh her out.

Like their official title is Lahjar, the Silent Heralds, Progeny of the Mothertree?
                      The Tree Who Climbs is her title; they call her mother.
                      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 12-01-2018, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Sorry read it earlier and responded while on break at work I mean the tree that climbs. What I mean is the standard format we see in the books is name, nickname and progeny of.

All Demons have a method of reproduction, even when they are made by a broodmother, I mean most are made from a progenitor.

But it looks well polished. I’d figure the Demons in Hell probably figured out the tinfoil hats trick first if it works as Tin Leaves is one of the more common materials found in Hell, in my last game one of the PCs were selling them trying to find interested customers.

But I don’t feel it undermines things if they also for instance are repelled by a scent like over cooked fish, or some sort of incense. But it’s not too bad if they don’t have something like that either. It seems like the write up is nice and too the point. You said you are working on the description of their creation so that will be covered. Someone mentioned an ignore them roll, that sounds interesting since you can’t stop up your ears to ignore them.

But it sounds like if they are by themselves they would be prey for the silent wind so maybe something addressing that, or their need for company, or the eeriness of being in Creation where they can be silent. Some demons probably hate them more for distracting them from the noise because their distractions are soundless.

Comment

I’d figure the Demons in Hell probably figured out the tinfoil hats trick first if it works as Tin Leaves is one of the more common materials found in Hell…, in my last game one of the PCs were selling them trying to find interested customers.
                          Just because a thing exists in a place, doesn't mean the people who live in that place will be the first ones to figure out an obscure application of it.

Someone mentioned an ignore them roll, that sounds interesting since you can’t stop up your ears to ignore them.
                          I'm not going to implement a roll to ignore them, as that runs counter to my premise that demons are annoyed by them because they can't be ignored.

But it sounds like if they are by themselves they would be prey for the silent wind
                          They might be, if cymbals didn't exist.

Comment

Well if they had Cymbals they wouldn’t be Silent Heralds now would they? . Yes I know noise is everywhere too, but still demons die from the Demon Winds. Another thing I’d imagine specifically silent demons may bare stigma just for that, I’d imagine certain demons of shadows are untrusted for similar silence.

Okay you don’t have to have roll to ignore, I’m just mentioning I didn’t think it was that bad an idea after someone mentioned it. It’s the idea you still hear it but how effectively you tune it out I think the roll may have been thst was suggested. But it’s fine if you don’t like that idea. Also does that then always cause a permanent distraction penalty if in an area some people are chatting in your head to Eat at Jiu’s while you also hear Hell’s din? I’d imagine many could hate that as much as a punch in your face demon, or a bad touch demon.

I’m saying my guess is some demons would discover it first for a few reasons. One you are saying they are virtually unheard of in Creation in the present, and thus even in Hell they would have heard of exponentially more because that is where virtually all of them live and ply their mind commercials. Two I would say in general Tim is more common in Hell as it iterallg grows on trees along with a number of other useful metals. And three it seems more amusing and charming to have that as a local culture in Hell for people to buy or make tin hats, it’s a neat hook. Meanwhile if used in Creation it’s best used I guess as a nod to show you this random Savant might be crazy.

Comment

Okay you don’t have to have roll to ignore, I’m just mentioning I didn’t think it was that bad an idea after someone mentioned it. It’s the idea you still hear it but how effectively you tune it out I think the roll may have been thst was suggested.
                              Take a look at the social rules in the Ex3 Core; after a target spends a Willpower to resist being persuaded/instilled/whatevered, you don't get to just try again endlessly. The target only needs to resist again if you switch tactics or present stronger evidence.

Also does that then always cause a permanent distraction penalty if in an area some people are chatting in your head to Eat at Jiu’s while you also hear Hell’s din?
                              No, not more than anyone else talking would cause that penalty.

Two I would say in general Tim is more common in Hell
                              Is he an enchanter?

as it iterallg grows on trees along with a number of other useful metals.
                              It still has to occur to someone to fashion it into a hat.

And three it seems more amusing and charming to have that as a local culture in Hell for people to buy or make tin hats, it’s a neat hook.
                              Seems more like a quaint cultural detail than a hook, and the Demon City is full of both already; I thought it would make for an interesting session for a man in Great Forks to ask for volunteers in his demonic experiments!

Comment

I’m just assuming people already have tinhats, as well as all kinds of hats and someone put two and two together. That and rando lore/occultists but I guess the best are already more then 1st Circles.

Yes Tim... not a stupid phone autocorrect... >.>

And I’m not talking about convincing anybody of anything. I’m saying g like some others have pointed out the demons power is more effective as a demon to haunt and harry ones prey, and I’d imagine you could drive up quite the penalty if you had one, or Hell a squad of them, scream in nonsense in someone’s head for a few days, or even a few hours.

What was brought up I think is the idea you can ignore the chatter with a roll. I don’t think it was in response so much to things like intimacy building/erosion/persuasion. I’m thinking purely of somebody tuning out an annoying salesman or a demonic haunter.
                                Last edited by Eldagusto; 12-02-2018, 03:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X