[Ex3, PEACH] The Silent Heralds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    I’m saying g like some others have pointed out the demons power is more effective as a demon to haunt and harry ones prey…
    The only thing it can do while dematerialized is talk to you, and it moves like a sloth.

and I’d imagine you could drive up quite the penalty if you had one, or Hell a squad of them, scream in nonsense in someone’s head for a few days, or even a few hours.
    I have covered this; they can't "scream" anything, because they don't have any control over their telepathic "volume."

What was brought up I think is the idea you can ignore the chatter with a roll.
    And, as I've said, I'm not going to do that, because it doesn't jibe with my ideas. You don't roll to ignore Joe Farmer talking to you, either.

Comment

Yeah but that is only because you don’t need to roll to close your ears, and they’ve had rolls for things like ignore noise while concentrating on something.

I guess I didn’t mean scream, it’s soundless after all I mean distraction. You can avoid it if you leave true. But if you stay one could be hidden anywhere and can essentially drive you nutzo by badgering you nonstop all night every night. I see that as it’s most significant power. Telepathically bothering you while hidden, though it’s a nice touché you can deduce where they are because they like to climb high up.

But I’m pointing out it’s effective to hack into someone’s thoughts and just annoying them nonestop.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Yeah but that is only because you don’t need to roll to close your ears…
        No, it isn't.

and they’ve had rolls for things like ignore noise while concentrating on something.
        In third edition? Mind citing that, please?

I mean distraction.
        And I'm saying that aside from its larger dice pool and inability to raise its voice, it's not meaningfully different from Joe Farmer trying to do the same. Do you, in your games, leverage penalties on players because someone is talking to them?

But if you stay one could be hidden anywhere and can essentially drive you nutzo by badgering you nonstop all night every night.
        No, it can't.

Have you ever left your TV on while you slept? Did it manage to do meaningful damage to your sanity? Did you have to puncture your eardrums with a knitting needle to escape the noise?

I mean otherwise maybe add something about these demons being natural food source because if there was something that could annoy more people in a small area and was slow, if I was another demon I would eat em.
        How many Roman town criers do you think got eaten by the smallfolk because they were annoyed by the message? Why should the demonic Octavian be any more forgiving of serfs eating the guy who officially speaks with his voice than his Roman counterpart? I get the feeling that any demon who devours a Lajhar in a citizen's employ is going to be shown the error of his ways very swiftly and very publicly.

All Demons have a method of reproduction, even when they are made by a broodmother, I mean most are made from a progenitor.
        This was something that we managed to get by just fine without for just shy of two and a half editions of the gameline. Dean Shomshak introduced the idea that all First Circles had a non-sexual means of reproducing themselves in CoCD:Malfeas, but I'm starting to feel like this was something of a mistake.

(CoCD:Malfeas also had not one, but two chapter comics of a named character casually murdering an unnamed lesser demon, which I'm beginning to think was also a mistake. The Demon City is not a nonstop Dethklok concert on Metalocalypse. It's a brutal place, but not cartoonishly so.)
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 12-02-2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

No not in 3rd ed, I just mean the storytelling system in general, like for instance Scion had knacks for it.

There is a difference between a farmer who is standing the room and you can tell to shut up because they aren’t magic mind controlled to do a task as a motivation and who you can also kill, and a spirit who can hide immaterial and doesn’t need to eat or sleep but bother you all the time. When my cat goes in heat she isn’t particularly loud but she’s persistent, and her saying meow nonstop is quite frustrating, same with the stereotypical example of parents in a car and kids asking are we there yet. Or the whispers background which literally whisper too your mind. Somebody Bluetooth accessing your mind 24/7 isn’t the same as a tv, I can sleep with a tv on but I can’t sleep with someone specifically whispering in my ear I can see you I am watching I know you are there.

All serfs and slaves are owned yet they butcher and abuse each other all the time, they are constantly punished for it. Demons who can die or be tortured to death any moment have different decision making capabilities then you or I and they also have different tempers for acts of passion.

I don’t see anything absurd about Octavian Braining some rando, demons kill each other, comics can be weird. And there is a difference between Vance saying we should consider Demons as pitiable people and the setting acknowledging they don’t care about cruelty towards demons.

They haven’t handled the demon breeding issue yet so I’ll let the developers handle that, but I do wish they would address it. But It’s not unreasonable they stick with it. It was more fitting then the hellbeast idea.

But I’m sensing the criticism is unappreciated or unwanted so I’ll dip out as I have expressed my opinion. I’m just giving my two cents because I thought that was the point of the thread. But I am saying I rather like the idea and execution.

Comment

It's not your criticism that I am tired of; it's the invented notion that it's somehow specially capable of preventing people from recovering willpower, and/or causing mental illness. That's not what it does. That's not what it's there for.

Comment

I didn’t even say that. But I could certainly see it with mortals happening. People have beaten their family for less and have had insomnia for less.

And I’m not the one who “invented this notion” I’m commenting an idea brought up earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                Sending one to “haunt” an opponent with unearthly moans or screams might be more feasible than summoning a ghost to do it for some sorcerers.
                Comment such as this.

Comment

And I’m not the one who “invented this notion” I’m commenting an idea brought up earlier.
                  I didn't say you came up with it; that said, you have been perpetuating it, after I already said that it doesn't work like that.

Comment

Working...
                  X