• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheCountAlucard
    started a topic [Ex3, PEACH] The Silent Heralds

[Ex3, PEACH] The Silent Heralds

Lajhar, the Silent Heralds

The constant clangor of the Demon City may keep the Silent Wind at bay, but sometimes delivering a message above the clamor is desired. For this reason the Lajhar were created.

A silent herald resembles a hairless, gray-skinned tree sloth with no mouth; standing, it is four to five feet tall, with long arms ending in long clawed fingers. Despite the claws' fearsome appearance, these are suited for climbing, not combat. They can walk on the ground, albeit slowly, but prefer clinging to high places to make their proclamations.

Lacking mouths to speak, Lajhar communicate by a sort of telepathy intrinsic to their kind; they may "speak" in this fashion to any number of creatures it can see, or cast broadly out to all creatures within its range. These thoughts are generally recognizable as coming from some other source; though it lacks a "voice," few would mistake a silent herald's message for a thought of their own. A Lajhar can send its messages even while dematerialized.

Some residents of the Demon City view silent heralds as an annoyance. Though some of their thoughts are important decrees from citizens or the Unquestionable, or warn of the onset of a more dangerous Yozi, many Lajhar take bribes to speak a given message or promote a demon's products or services, and many more find pleasure in spreading gossip.

No means of shutting a Lajhar out of one's mind has been discovered yet, as their thoughts cut right through louder noises or stopped ears; however, an occultist in Great Forks has made theories about the use of tin to block out the Lajhar's intrusive thoughts.

The creator of the Lajhar is the Tree Who Climbs. Every Lajhar who ventures beyond her branches is blessed by her so that it may return safely. A blessed Lajhar need only call on its mother to receive protection from blade, bow, fire, and poison.

Sorcerers seldom call Lajhar across the Endless Desert in the Age of Sorrows; it is an obscure demon, but some find use as immaterial sentries.

Lajhar, the Silent Heralds

Essence:
    3; Willpower: 8; Essence pool: 80 motes; Join Battle: 6 dice
    Health Levels: -0/-1x4/-2x4/-4/Incap.
    Actions:
    Climb: 9 dice; Bargain: 8 dice; Rumor-mongering: 11 dice; Inspire: 7 dice; Instill: 8 dice; Intimidate: 8 dice; Persuade: 8 dice; Read Intentions: 8 dice; Resist poison: 10 dice; Senses: 6 dice; Stealth: 8 dice; Swim: 8 dice;
    Appearance 3 (Hideous), Resolve 3, Guile 5

Combat
    Attack (Claws): 6 dice (Damage 10L); can only attack every other round.
    Attack (Grapple): 4 dice (2 dice to control); can only attack every other round.

Combat Movement: 6 dice (9 climbing, 8 swimming, see Sloth Movement, below)
    Evasion: 2; Parry 3
    Soak/Hardness: 8/0 (See Mother-Tree's Aegis, below)

Merits

Sloth Movement: The Lajhar uses its Stamina instead of its Strength or Dexterity on rolls to climb or swim, but treats all other forms of movement as difficult terrain. A silent herald may only attack every other round in combat.

Telepathy: The Lajhar can cast its thoughts out into the heads of others; it can freely send a single message out to any creatures it can see. It also has the option to send to all within long range; even creatures the Lajhar is unaware of will be made to hear the silent herald's thought. A Lajhar can also spend a mote of Essence to send a thought to one person it cannot see, as long as the Lajhar is familiar with the recipient and within a mile of her.

Offensive Charms

Foul the Mind's Waters (15m, 1wp; Simple; Instantaneous; Essence 3): The Lajhar concentrates its most toxic whispers into a potent weapon, which exudes from its body like an invisible cloud. The Lajhar must be materialized to use this Charm. Enemies out to medium range are exposed to a nauseating psychic poison with the following traits:
    Fetid Psyche Miasma
    Damage/Interval: 3i/round (B in Crash)
    Duration: 5 rounds
    Penalty: -4
    Vector: Proximity
    Special: Resisted with Wits+Integrity instead of Stamina+Resistance.

Defensive Charms

Mother-Tree's Aegis (15m, 1wp; Reflexive; Decisive-only; One scene; Essence 3): The Lajhar invokes the name of its mother, drawing on her potent protection. For the rest of the scene, any damage the silent herald takes from a bashing or lethal decisive attack is reduced to a single die. This protection is equally applicable to environmental hazards and poison. Moreover, the Lajhar cannot fall or be dislodged from a surface it climbs, even by an attack that kills it.

Miscellaneous Charms

Materialize (40m; Simple; Instant; Essence 1): Claws manifest, gripping at something; a second later, the Lajhar follows.

Measure the Wind (5m; Simple; Instant; Essence 1): The Lajhar can discern the nature of any being who asks it to deliver a message.
    (Thanks to Isator Levi, GenericMaleNPC01, Chronos12, and others for occasional feedback and references when I was away from books.)
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 12-02-2018, 10:11 AM.

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    And I’m not the one who “invented this notion” I’m commenting an idea brought up earlier.
    I didn't say you came up with it; that said, you have been perpetuating it, after I already said that it doesn't work like that.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
    Sending one to “haunt” an opponent with unearthly moans or screams might be more feasible than summoning a ghost to do it for some sorcerers.
    Comment such as this.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    I didn’t even say that. But I could certainly see it with mortals happening. People have beaten their family for less and have had insomnia for less.

And I’m not the one who “invented this notion” I’m commenting an idea brought up earlier.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    It's not your criticism that I am tired of; it's the invented notion that it's somehow specially capable of preventing people from recovering willpower, and/or causing mental illness. That's not what it does. That's not what it's there for.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    No not in 3rd ed, I just mean the storytelling system in general, like for instance Scion had knacks for it.

There is a difference between a farmer who is standing the room and you can tell to shut up because they aren’t magic mind controlled to do a task as a motivation and who you can also kill, and a spirit who can hide immaterial and doesn’t need to eat or sleep but bother you all the time. When my cat goes in heat she isn’t particularly loud but she’s persistent, and her saying meow nonstop is quite frustrating, same with the stereotypical example of parents in a car and kids asking are we there yet. Or the whispers background which literally whisper too your mind. Somebody Bluetooth accessing your mind 24/7 isn’t the same as a tv, I can sleep with a tv on but I can’t sleep with someone specifically whispering in my ear I can see you I am watching I know you are there.

All serfs and slaves are owned yet they butcher and abuse each other all the time, they are constantly punished for it. Demons who can die or be tortured to death any moment have different decision making capabilities then you or I and they also have different tempers for acts of passion.

I don’t see anything absurd about Octavian Braining some rando, demons kill each other, comics can be weird. And there is a difference between Vance saying we should consider Demons as pitiable people and the setting acknowledging they don’t care about cruelty towards demons.

They haven’t handled the demon breeding issue yet so I’ll let the developers handle that, but I do wish they would address it. But It’s not unreasonable they stick with it. It was more fitting then the hellbeast idea.

But I’m sensing the criticism is unappreciated or unwanted so I’ll dip out as I have expressed my opinion. I’m just giving my two cents because I thought that was the point of the thread. But I am saying I rather like the idea and execution.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Yeah but that is only because you don’t need to roll to close your ears…
    No, it isn't.

and they’ve had rolls for things like ignore noise while concentrating on something.
    In third edition? Mind citing that, please?

I mean distraction.
    And I'm saying that aside from its larger dice pool and inability to raise its voice, it's not meaningfully different from Joe Farmer trying to do the same. Do you, in your games, leverage penalties on players because someone is talking to them?

But if you stay one could be hidden anywhere and can essentially drive you nutzo by badgering you nonstop all night every night.
    No, it can't.

Have you ever left your TV on while you slept? Did it manage to do meaningful damage to your sanity? Did you have to puncture your eardrums with a knitting needle to escape the noise?

I mean otherwise maybe add something about these demons being natural food source because if there was something that could annoy more people in a small area and was slow, if I was another demon I would eat em.
    How many Roman town criers do you think got eaten by the smallfolk because they were annoyed by the message? Why should the demonic Octavian be any more forgiving of serfs eating the guy who officially speaks with his voice than his Roman counterpart? I get the feeling that any demon who devours a Lajhar in a citizen's employ is going to be shown the error of his ways very swiftly and very publicly.

All Demons have a method of reproduction, even when they are made by a broodmother, I mean most are made from a progenitor.
    This was something that we managed to get by just fine without for just shy of two and a half editions of the gameline. Dean Shomshak introduced the idea that all First Circles had a non-sexual means of reproducing themselves in CoCD:Malfeas, but I'm starting to feel like this was something of a mistake.

(CoCD:Malfeas also had not one, but two chapter comics of a named character casually murdering an unnamed lesser demon, which I'm beginning to think was also a mistake. The Demon City is not a nonstop Dethklok concert on Metalocalypse. It's a brutal place, but not cartoonishly so.)
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 12-02-2018, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Yeah but that is only because you don’t need to roll to close your ears, and they’ve had rolls for things like ignore noise while concentrating on something.

I guess I didn’t mean scream, it’s soundless after all I mean distraction. You can avoid it if you leave true. But if you stay one could be hidden anywhere and can essentially drive you nutzo by badgering you nonstop all night every night. I see that as it’s most significant power. Telepathically bothering you while hidden, though it’s a nice touché you can deduce where they are because they like to climb high up.

But I’m pointing out it’s effective to hack into someone’s thoughts and just annoying them nonestop.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I’m saying g like some others have pointed out the demons power is more effective as a demon to haunt and harry ones prey…
    The only thing it can do while dematerialized is talk to you, and it moves like a sloth.

and I’d imagine you could drive up quite the penalty if you had one, or Hell a squad of them, scream in nonsense in someone’s head for a few days, or even a few hours.
    I have covered this; they can't "scream" anything, because they don't have any control over their telepathic "volume."

What was brought up I think is the idea you can ignore the chatter with a roll.
    And, as I've said, I'm not going to do that, because it doesn't jibe with my ideas. You don't roll to ignore Joe Farmer talking to you, either.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    I’m just assuming people already have tinhats, as well as all kinds of hats and someone put two and two together. That and rando lore/occultists but I guess the best are already more then 1st Circles.

Yes Tim... not a stupid phone autocorrect... >.>

And I’m not talking about convincing anybody of anything. I’m saying g like some others have pointed out the demons power is more effective as a demon to haunt and harry ones prey, and I’d imagine you could drive up quite the penalty if you had one, or Hell a squad of them, scream in nonsense in someone’s head for a few days, or even a few hours.

What was brought up I think is the idea you can ignore the chatter with a roll. I don’t think it was in response so much to things like intimacy building/erosion/persuasion. I’m thinking purely of somebody tuning out an annoying salesman or a demonic haunter.
    Last edited by Eldagusto; 12-02-2018, 03:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Okay you don’t have to have roll to ignore, I’m just mentioning I didn’t think it was that bad an idea after someone mentioned it. It’s the idea you still hear it but how effectively you tune it out I think the roll may have been thst was suggested.
    Take a look at the social rules in the Ex3 Core; after a target spends a Willpower to resist being persuaded/instilled/whatevered, you don't get to just try again endlessly. The target only needs to resist again if you switch tactics or present stronger evidence.

Also does that then always cause a permanent distraction penalty if in an area some people are chatting in your head to Eat at Jiu’s while you also hear Hell’s din?
    No, not more than anyone else talking would cause that penalty.

Two I would say in general Tim is more common in Hell
    Is he an enchanter?

as it iterallg grows on trees along with a number of other useful metals.
    It still has to occur to someone to fashion it into a hat.

And three it seems more amusing and charming to have that as a local culture in Hell for people to buy or make tin hats, it’s a neat hook.
    Seems more like a quaint cultural detail than a hook, and the Demon City is full of both already; I thought it would make for an interesting session for a man in Great Forks to ask for volunteers in his demonic experiments!

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Well if they had Cymbals they wouldn’t be Silent Heralds now would they? . Yes I know noise is everywhere too, but still demons die from the Demon Winds. Another thing I’d imagine specifically silent demons may bare stigma just for that, I’d imagine certain demons of shadows are untrusted for similar silence.

Okay you don’t have to have roll to ignore, I’m just mentioning I didn’t think it was that bad an idea after someone mentioned it. It’s the idea you still hear it but how effectively you tune it out I think the roll may have been thst was suggested. But it’s fine if you don’t like that idea. Also does that then always cause a permanent distraction penalty if in an area some people are chatting in your head to Eat at Jiu’s while you also hear Hell’s din? I’d imagine many could hate that as much as a punch in your face demon, or a bad touch demon.

I’m saying my guess is some demons would discover it first for a few reasons. One you are saying they are virtually unheard of in Creation in the present, and thus even in Hell they would have heard of exponentially more because that is where virtually all of them live and ply their mind commercials. Two I would say in general Tim is more common in Hell as it iterallg grows on trees along with a number of other useful metals. And three it seems more amusing and charming to have that as a local culture in Hell for people to buy or make tin hats, it’s a neat hook. Meanwhile if used in Creation it’s best used I guess as a nod to show you this random Savant might be crazy.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I’d figure the Demons in Hell probably figured out the tinfoil hats trick first if it works as Tin Leaves is one of the more common materials found in Hell…, in my last game one of the PCs were selling them trying to find interested customers.
    Just because a thing exists in a place, doesn't mean the people who live in that place will be the first ones to figure out an obscure application of it.

Someone mentioned an ignore them roll, that sounds interesting since you can’t stop up your ears to ignore them.
    I'm not going to implement a roll to ignore them, as that runs counter to my premise that demons are annoyed by them because they can't be ignored.

But it sounds like if they are by themselves they would be prey for the silent wind
    They might be, if cymbals didn't exist.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Sorry read it earlier and responded while on break at work I mean the tree that climbs. What I mean is the standard format we see in the books is name, nickname and progeny of.

All Demons have a method of reproduction, even when they are made by a broodmother, I mean most are made from a progenitor.

But it looks well polished. I’d figure the Demons in Hell probably figured out the tinfoil hats trick first if it works as Tin Leaves is one of the more common materials found in Hell, in my last game one of the PCs were selling them trying to find interested customers.

But I don’t feel it undermines things if they also for instance are repelled by a scent like over cooked fish, or some sort of incense. But it’s not too bad if they don’t have something like that either. It seems like the write up is nice and too the point. You said you are working on the description of their creation so that will be covered. Someone mentioned an ignore them roll, that sounds interesting since you can’t stop up your ears to ignore them.

But it sounds like if they are by themselves they would be prey for the silent wind so maybe something addressing that, or their need for company, or the eeriness of being in Creation where they can be silent. Some demons probably hate them more for distracting them from the noise because their distractions are soundless.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    But clams developed tough shells but critters still figure out how to eat them.
    Have you read the Iliad?

But maybe how they originated and how they procreate?
    They were created by the Tree Who Climbs to make announcements over the general noise that pervades the Demon City. They don't really reproduce themselves.

Or did I miss them budding off the Mothertree.
    They do indeed emerge from her. I'll make sure and provide the details when I flesh her out.

Like their official title is Lahjar, the Silent Heralds, Progeny of the Mothertree?
    The Tree Who Climbs is her title; they call her mother.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 12-01-2018, 11:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X