Lunars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Well, basically most RPGs, other than DnD (ie the one with the most money), get Kickstarted now. I assume this is because of economic and advertising reasons.
    Onyx Path, at least, maintains that publication isn't dependant on Kickstarter success, and the funding is for the high quality prestige printings. I see no reason to dispute that assertion.

The commensurate increase in making those printings, well... I want to say it's somewhere between taking advantage of an opportunity and a perceived need to maintain the esteem of the brand.

Still, there are a few reasons that I'd like some more books that would have been soft covers in the past. Primarily just for the content they would entail.

If you have me the choice between kickstarting Lunars and regular publishing two or three sixty page setting books, I'd actually want the latter first, just from a sense that almost nothing but Exalted hardbacks both makes the whole thing feel a bit too heavy to me, and kind of does make it feel like attention can't be spared for that setting development.

I think there's a lot good in Adversaries and Hundred Devils, but think some of them are missing a bit of context.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

It helps that now the funding also goes towards producing a second book.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

I agree, it's not like a production thing, it's more like a hype cycle thing. Right now my brain is mulling all over ideas for DB campaigns and I'm super excited for the Realm to come to us so I can get even more ideas and launch into an awesome campaign for elemental samurai. Or maybe a mortal campaign under the boot heel of imperial oppression. Then after than we can play Lunars and tear it all down. Or build something better. First one then the other, yeah...that one...
        Kind of like how we got a few years with nothing but Solars to play with?

But at least with Lunars coming out sooner after Dragon-Blooded than Dragon-Blooded after Lunars, storytellers will have a better idea of the Silver Anathema that their players are more likely to confront.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

Based on prior history, it means Lunars are next - they've got the final KS art in, and are now preparing the Kickstarter. Should be sometime in the next few weeks.
          Keep in mind that the Lunars manuscript is still in Development and needs to go through approval before the KS and that can take a month and might produce problems that need addressing which can take additional time. I doubt OP is going to push back a KS by more than a week or two, so they might just put another project in place and juggle the schedule a bit. And there are three other things that could get KSs at about the same level as Lunars, so....

It really all depends on what gets done first.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Onyx Path, at least, maintains that publication isn't dependant on Kickstarter success, and the funding is for the high quality prestige printings. I see no reason to dispute that assertion.

The commensurate increase in making those printings, well... I want to say it's somewhere between taking advantage of an opportunity and a perceived need to maintain the esteem of the brand.

Still, there are a few reasons that I'd like some more books that would have been soft covers in the past. Primarily just for the content they would entail.

If you have me the choice between kickstarting Lunars and regular publishing two or three sixty page setting books, I'd actually want the latter first, just from a sense that almost nothing but Exalted hardbacks both makes the whole thing feel a bit too heavy to me, and kind of does make it feel like attention can't be spared for that setting development.

I think there's a lot good in Adversaries and Hundred Devils, but think some of them are missing a bit of context.
            As far as it goes, The Realm is in layout and is getting art as we speak. So that’s probably a few months, but it should be out this year. And Across the Eight Directions is being actively worked on alongside Lunars, so maybe next year for that one. By then we might have a compiled Hundred Devils book too.

So, they are working on the setting stuff and it is coming and the gameline will probably feel much more substantial in 2020. Which doesn’t exactly help right now, I get it, but short of finding some way to get a text only version of The Realm, there’s really not much they can do but keep working.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
              So, they are working on the setting stuff and it is coming and the gameline will probably feel much more substantial in 2020.
              One more reason to look forward to 2020.

Can anyone lend me a time machine?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                One more reason to look forward to 2020.

Can anyone lend me a time machine?
                And miss one of America's two major political parties dying a messy death in real time? Possibly even both of them?

Fine, but I'll be taking your share of the popcorn.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                  Kind of like how we got a few years with nothing but Solars to play with?

But at least with Lunars coming out sooner after Dragon-Blooded than Dragon-Blooded after Lunars, storytellers will have a better idea of the Silver Anathema that their players are more likely to confront.
                  Yeaaah hopefully not quite so long as the exclusively Solar run. Although it did give me a chance to run/play in 4 campaigns with Solars only and let me do a lot of what you can only really do with Solars, so it wasn't so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

This makes me think of a weird kind of layering in Exalted consumers. If you took part in the Kickstarter, you've had Dragon Blooded for about a year, and are ready for Lunars. If you didn't, you're still waiting on that release by the time all of the hype and attention shifts to Lunars, and have only had little releases of enemies to tide you over in the meantime. It feels a bit fragmentary.
                    This is what I'm dealing with. I'm so far behind everyone else now as far as knowing anything about the game I may have to give up on it

Comment

Isn't there a way to get the DB book on the KS page? I'm sure someone said that.
                      If not, well, I think it should be out in a few months at most.

My characters:
                      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Yep, you can preorder here: https://what-fire-has-wrought.backer...sted_preorders

Gives you the pdf when you do.

The Kickstarter hype is there to draw attention to the game and get the word out. While also allowing for expanding of wordcount and supplements. Just by kickstarting 5 dollars you get access to the manuscript. Onyx Path then puts the product up on backerkit when the Kickstarter is finished so people can preorder and grab the books after its over. Outside of monetary issues there's no reason anyone can't get caught up.
                        Last edited by Monghani; 01-22-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

So, the new update for the Dragon-Blooded Kickstarter is suggesting rather subtly that Lunars will be the next Kickstarter, and comments on the Monday Meeting Notes made by RichT seem to indicate the same.

My body is ready, my wallet isn't.

Comment

i guess I should get in on this one

Comment

A threshold question for me: does Lunars still use the stunt-based excellency structure from the core book? (Of course, I understand if that's not allowed to be answered at this point.

I really want to recreate my 2E lunar martial artist, literally my favorite RPG character ever, but that excellency loses me for the lunar kickstarter and likely the book itself.

Comment

Obviously we haven't seen the book yet, but I'm 90% sure it will do. Eska of the Seven Blades, the Lunar character in Antagonists of the Righteous (whom I guess is partly there to preview Lunars) still uses the same stunt-based excellency. She also can raise her soak by her Stamina/2, or (Stamina+appropriate Attribute)/2 with a stunt.

Personally, I dislike it too (though not as much as you, by the sound of it; it's an annoyance but wouldn't put me off Lunars), but it seems quite popular generally. I have a feeling there was a mention that it was popular with playtesters. So I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if it doesn't make it into the book.

(I can understand why it's popular. We used to love stunts back in the day. Not anymore though.)

I hope to run a Lunars game in future (probably next year I guess, as our group has 3 games that I think will finish late this year), so I may houserule it or something. Not sure.

What my players did with Lunar PCs (we have a few) is just picking an attribute they think that makes sense, and using that for the cap without telling me. Which arguably is a bit dodgy, but it certainly saved time.

My characters:
                                Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                                Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Working...
                                X