Combo Stunts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo Stunts

Since Combos are no longer 'a thing' in Ex3, their descriptions have been taken over by stunts. Anyone care to give some examples of these 'combo stunts', preferably those seen in play?

Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
    Since Combos are no longer 'a thing' in Ex3, their descriptions have been taken over by stunts. Anyone care to give some examples of these 'combo stunts', preferably those seen in play?
    You just activate compatible Charms and describe them accordingly. For example, one player in my seafaring game used Double Attack Technique and then followed it up with a Steel Devil Strike, and narrated himself as a whirling dervish of dancing steel, laying into the enemy with such speed that he was already bleeding from three wounds before he could take another breath.

Likewise my Eclipse Caste was attacked by a battle group of dead things once, and used his Brawl Excellency plus Fists of Iron Technique to bury his fist in the face of one, and plow through the mass of them using its corpus as a sort of improvised cowcatcher.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 12-03-2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I like those descriptions, but what about more overt Essence displays?

Comment

Arrow Storm Technique +Fiery Arrow Attack + Dazzling Flare Attack + Shadow-Seeking Arrow.

You fire a half-dozen arrows high into the air, and they come down wreathed in sunfire, bursting into blinding radiance as they slam into their targets. The light itself is such that it sears the eyes and souls of any foes hiding in the shadows.

Spirit+Cutting Attack+Thunderclap Rush Attack+Phantom-Seizing Strike

Golden chains surge from your anima and seem to wrap around the empty air. Just as the unclean spirit materializes in its fetters, you are pulled into striking distance.

Steel Storm Descending+Joint-Wounding Attack+Call The Blade

You stab your longfang at a foe that still stands a dozen paces away, and before she can react, a spectral image of your spear flashes across the gap and skewers her shoulder.

Comment

Yeah, you can just describe your anima flaring in cool ways after you use a bunch of charms. If you want to keep the feeling of "combos", write down what combinations you'll use a lot, and come up with something that knits them together.

Functionally nothing has changed. You just don't need to pay for anything.

Comment

I believe shkspr1048 is referring to the fact that when combos were specific, proprietary things, they were described as always manifesting with unique and distinguishing special effects. Even if you combined Charms that did not natively have flashy displays, it was supposed to come with special energy effects that would give it away.

Because combos can be freely combined now, any given one is not a codified special move, but as Vance has pointed out, you can still stunt them in terms that have those displays.

So the question is about those, I think.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Exactly so!

Comment

Amayad has the right idea.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                X