Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(2e) The problem with Gunstar Autocthonia and Heavens Reach...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (2e) The problem with Gunstar Autocthonia and Heavens Reach...

Is that you can literally buy a helicopter faster than the spaceships on offer in either space shard in Exalted Modern.
    Space in alternate universe exalted must be a strange, densely filled place, if a ship experiences enough drag to give it a speed limit slower than the Bugati Veyron gets, as opposed to 'the speed reached by spending half of the ship's delta-v budget, leaving enough to stop the thing later.

Anyways, can someone help me figure out a way to de-stupid the spaceship speeds in Shards so that the top speed of the fastest spaceship shown isn't less than a hundredth of the orbital speed of the ISS?

Multiply the given speeds for spacecraft by ten.

Side note: If you're looking for realism, consider the possibility that Exalted may not be the game for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post
      Multiply the given speeds for spacecraft by ten.

Side note: If you're looking for realism, consider the possibility that Exalted may not be the game for you.
      The nonrealism in Exalted is meant to be in the service of awesomeness and cool shit.
      Not making spaceships slower than road vehicles somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by PlotVitalNPC View Post

The nonrealism in Exalted is meant to be in the service of awesomeness and cool shit.
        Not making spaceships slower than road vehicles somehow.
        Well the actual answer is that the developers working on it didn't really do the math and comparisons to hash out what those speeds would really be like. However I have an alternate suggestion about unrealistic numbers making for cool shit. That is that most space operas and softer sci-fi stuff that you see tend to have fights that are really really close when you try to use more realistic numbers, because it's visually cool and it allows for a lot more maneuvering and tactics and stuff. Using speeds and weapon ranges that take positioning out of the equation. Considering that I might double or triple the speeds, but I wouldn't personally go much beyond that.

Especially if you're talking about like, the 7.6 km/s that the ISS is going at. At that pace you'd go from one end of the other on the stupid stupid big Eclipse class Ultra-Mega-Hyper Star Destroyer from Star Wars in less than 2.5 seconds. Really narratively, generally, fighting a battle close to the surface of that kind of dreadnought would be something that might take a few combat scenes as you battle your way up it. Also when you've got access to speeds that large acceleration just can't be ignored. It's kind of sketchy going from 1-120 kmph instantly.

Of course you could also be looking to fight on this...uh...thing.

Comment

If you speed up spaceships, you're going to want to speed up non-spaceship forms of magical travel in space, so that an Infernal tanking voidfighters in a shintai isn't gonna get hilariously outsped by them.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

ya

plus, in the gunstar you have sentient planents and demonic stars, and demonic comet-people - and the UCS brain-slaved while flying the daystar digirible into space to hunt the exalted

I would argue that Gunstar runs on Disney's Treasure Planet logic. Space is breathable, 'ships' fly around in them on rocket engines powered by solar sails. Works perfectly for exalted IN SPACE

EDIT:

hell, Gunstar is basically Exalted: Treasure Planet edition

I mean, a solar doing stunts on a jet-powered space-board is pretty much as solar as it get: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD4HjmWLkq8
            Last edited by webkilla; 12-08-2018, 04:45 PM.

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Just use extended Sail rolls for travel when getting somewhere on time matters. That'll solve most egregious problems.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
              [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
              [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

I'm reminded of AD&D's Spelljammer having to use three separate travel modes in order to successfully mix legacy AD&D combat, interplanetary travel that was neither trivial nor interminable, and intersystem travel that wouldn't cause everyone to die of old age.

Comment

You could simply say that the voidcraft speeds are all relative speeds. Sure, you may be doing battle streaking across that system at 2/3 the speed of light, but relative to everyone you're doing battle with the listed speeds. If you have crazy characters doing battle outside of a voidcraft you can simply say they got dragged along for the ride by some magical spacial drag.

Comment

Working...
                  X