Portable Witch Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Witch Tools

If you're a shapeshifting witch that is more keen to kill with tooth and claw than sword or bow, what sort of artifacts might you be interested in?

Probably things too large to carry personally into battle, but small enough to truck around in your magical mobile home, or carry on your ox-back as you flee a a Wyld Hunt.

Moonsilver could probably lend itself to making oracular full-length mirrors.

Perhaps you could build the titular Silver Chair of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia novel. Strap someone to the Slave's Throne for a whole night, and from sunrise to sunset the next day they are enchanted to believe whatever you want, acting accordingly of their own beguiled will. The subject never suffers from lack of sleep, no matter how many times this cycle is repeated.

An alchemical cauldron that can produce one magical medical potion each week. It can provide a constant source of instantly-perishable (use it or lose it!) age-staving cordials from virtually nothing, but if you use it for that, you can't use it to produce anything of the many other useful substances it can brew. Access to expensive and/or hard-to-obtain ingredients can enable more potent or more enduring concoctions.

Builder Bug automatons that work like a magical 3D printer, completing certain crafting projects for you.

A transformation chrysalis/cocoon that allows you to combine two creatures into a single hybrid without needing a spell or the Lunar trial Charm(s). Maybe have surgical functions for medical treatment.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Is this linked to the lunar infrastructure thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      Is this linked to the lunar infrastructure thing?
      Not really, since infrastructure tends to refer to constructs which are impossible to pick up and move. Also, constructs that can be used by large numbers of people.

These artifacts, being artifacts, are things that only one person can use. A small group of people, at the very most.

But both things could be seen to arise from the same pressures. The desire for assets that one doesn't have to worry about leaving behind and having one's enemies making use of them.

Comment

Workshops, healing pools, gardens, all grown from onion like bulbs. In a pinch, they can be shrunken down and carried. An entire village, that can be carried in a box...

Comment

Re: The Cauldron, I am brought to mind of the Black Cauldron from Gaelic Myth and that series of novels I can’t remember the name of, (Also oracular pig)

So “Rare Ingredients” could be the corpses of all the Dragonblooded you assassinated. I suppose. You need to put them somewhere after all.

Comment

The necromantic Black Cauldron seems like a soulsteel artifact, but any sort of magical cauldron is a truckable witch tool.

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
              Re: The Cauldron, I am brought to mind of the Black Cauldron from Gaelic Myth and that series of novels I can’t remember the name of, (Also oracular pig)

So “Rare Ingredients” could be the corpses of all the Dragonblooded you assassinated. I suppose. You need to put them somewhere after all.
              Chronicles of Prydain.

Comment

Deleted. Misread.

Comment

Supergiant Games, makers of Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre, have produced a new game called Hades.

Among other things, it features the Mirror of Night.

Before this, I was never really sure how a moonsilver mirror could be used for meaningful "self-reflection", but the Mirror of Night gives me ideas.

Perhaps attuning to it allows you to gain a bonus Ability dot, which you lose if your attunement is broken, and which further mastery could allow you to reassign to a different Ability after more "self-reflection".

Maybe you could purchase native Exalted Charms through mirror as Evocations; Charms which you also lose access to, if your attunement to the mirror is broken. There's a soulsteel axe in Arms of the Chosen which does something similar with spells.

Exploring a different direction, you might also use such a mirror as an aid to recalling forgotten memories. Dwelling on emotional experiences could alter your own Intimacies as you remember the good times with a friend or forgive an antagonist of their actions. You might even be able to overcome Derangements.

Perhaps you could summon your reflection out of the mirror for a duel to the death; who proves stronger? If the reflection is strangely altered, or perhaps a reflection of a different path you had taken in life, or of a you that never existed, if that reflection wins, your character might have different base Attributes and Abilities and Intimacies, like a Solar Personae replacing the original.

Comment

Collapsible cauldron, that you can throw whatever you want inside, and it'll become tasty soup. As long as its among people you have a positive intimacy with.

Think of the 'stone soup' story.

Comment

Working...
                    X