Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Art of What Fire Has Wrought

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
    Counterpoint: the core's art, as somebody very observantly put it in one of the early review threads, looks like Prince Diamond is having a stroke. I much prefer the deeb cover.
    That’s 100% fair. It’s probably close to my initial impression but then I thought maybe it’s someone Exalting and it became awesome.

    Comment


    • #47
      Looking through the book again, I think they've done a good job of showing how, well, visually Chinese the Scarlet Dynasty is. Architecture, clothes, ethnicity*, etc. That's something that's frequently not been done very consistently.
      (And artists aren't always good at drawing Asians, tbh. They're not all perfect in here, but better than before. Probably because Gunship Revolution is a South-East Asian art studio. And some of the credited artists are Asian-American.)

      *Not that the main ethnicity in the Realm actually does look exactly like Han Chinese. But it looks somewhat East Asian.

      It is a bit inconsistent with Lookshy; Greek or Japanese? But then, Lookshy has always been a bit unsure which one it's supposed to look like.

      Anyway, the stuff I really like:
      Page 9: intro
      Page 11: nice to see some Mesoamerican stuff
      17: Cool power armour
      19: Great depiction of a kid exalting at a Dynastic school
      22+23: A nice presentation of the Dynasty; it looks clearly Chinese-inspired, but showing you that not every Dynast has to be Asian-looking. The women being in front (and being the combat ones, with the men as the courtier and monk) shows you subtly that this is a society where women lead, but not massively so.
      27: Very clearly shows the difference between the two clans.
      38: Just a nice battle scene against beastmen (or barbarians?) There's no elemental stuff per-se, but you can see that it's obviously a Fire Aspect.
      56: Nice and dramatic, good pictures of beastmen, and tells you what Pelleps is about.
      60: Yep, this is Ragara. It's good to have some non-action shots of Dragonblood oppressing people, in this case via financial exploitation.
      63: I'll admit, this looks a lot like Clan Scorpion. But like the previous two I mentioned, it does a good job of telling you what the House is about (now).
      71: A really nice depiction of the Empress at court (and again, does a good job of showing you what's going on with V'neef)
      81: I mostly like this because it just shows you very well what Realm architecture looks like
      87: Frankly, I'm loving the hair styles.
      109: I just like it. There's a DB, and he's in a pub, but he still looks cool.
      128: Exalts vs giant monsters is always good.
      135: Fear-Eater looks great. And the expressions are great. I'm a Solar, how is this happening!
      183: It very much shows you a Dragonblood in charge of a society.
      191: Just a really dynamic way to show off this Athletics charm.
      249: It's a picture that inspires you to play an Earth Aspect, essentially.
      281: It's a great picture of a DB general wrecking the enemy with elemental force... but it still looks like his army is going to matter. He's not just nuking the enemy, he's softening them up for his own army.
      285: A DB monk punching an evil spirit? Classic.
      303: I'm not sure what the demon is, but it looks great, and the charm is really well depicted.
      322: I see Isator's point about being a simple monk weapon... but I found the pictures of the artefact weapons in the Core a bit bland, so this looks really cool.
      327: Again, I see Isator's point about the lightning. But it's a pretty rad picture.
      333: Not a DB thing, but I'm delighted to see a Lunar with silver tats that don't look the same design as every other silver tattoos in the game ever. I guess that's the same with the ones in 339, but this Lunar looks better.
      351: I don't like most of the pictures of Mnemon in this book, but I do like this one. I'm not quite sure why... I think it's because she most looks like an ancient and powerful sorceress who you absolutely don't want to cross.
      354: Not sure why I like it, I think I just like the pose. It immediately tells me that this is a detective of some kind.




      Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 12-21-2018, 05:16 PM.


      "Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        It is a bit inconsistent with Lookshy; Greek or Japanese? But then, Lookshy has always been a bit unsure which one it's supposed to look like.
        Lookshy is a synthesis of Greek and Japanese aesthetics in the same way that the Realm is a synthesis of Chinese and Roman aesthetics.


        Developer for Exalted

        Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

        Robert Vance's Patreon

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post


          Counterpoint: the core's art, as somebody very observantly put it in one of the early review threads, looks like Prince Diamond is having a stroke. I much prefer the deeb cover.
          Counterpoint:the deeb cover looks like Swift is going to stab her biceps or triceps with her own shoulder guard if she tried to block a strike from above.

          Her armor looks like it comes out of a cosplay fair. The clothes from Diamond could be worn on a catwalk, which isn't bad for a would-be diplomat I think.

          I use a kind of armor for sport weekly (Kendo), just looking at Swift's makes my arm ache. And some of my club definitely look like they are having a stroke when they take off their men after training .

          So yeah, to each one its own, right?

          Edit: I probably look as if I am having a stroke, as well!
          Last edited by HoardAndSue; 12-22-2018, 08:18 AM.

          Comment


          • #50
            I found the art in the DB book to be a real treat, especially in contrast to the core book. Core did have some stunning pieces in it, but they were rare and the quality was all over the place. In particular I found the opening full page art on page 10 to be wonderful, and was glad to see that style in several places. The dev team and art house really stepped it up over core and deserve praise for that. Thanks for all the hard work!

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by HoardAndSue View Post
              Counterpoint:the deeb cover looks like Swift is going to stab her biceps or triceps with her own shoulder guard if she tried to block a strike from above.

              Her armor looks like it comes out of a cosplay fair.
              Historically, Pauldrons were mainly restricted to full plate armour used for jousting exactly because they restricted mobility as a trade off for protection. But, yeah, videogames and rpg models use them over more realistic Spaulding because they are more visually impressive.
              Last edited by Greyman; 12-22-2018, 09:46 PM.

              Comment


              • #52
                I'm pretty sure that's jade armour, so just chalk it up to magic.

                Comment


                • #53
                  I’m pretty sure that one of the earlier books noted that Artifacts can build up dangerous charges of essence, so many of them include various fins and projections to discharge such buildups before they become dangerous. Which is likely the in world reason they have giant anime shoulderpads.


                  ....

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    That was like, 1e, wasn't it?

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                      That was like, 1e, wasn't it?
                      2E still touches on it.

                      ARTIFACT ARMOR
                      Just as they forge weapons from steel alloyed with the five magical materials[...]
                      The armor is unmistakably magical. Most of it glitters and gleams with the color of the magical material used to forge it, and the heavier armors typically have fins or long, flat spikes that protrude from the back and shoulders to prevent uncomfortable Essence buildup between the plates and the wearer’s skin.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I think the art of WFHW has improved over what we saw in Ex3. The overall style has taken a defined route and is now more consistent. I'm sure a lot of guys and gals will like it. However, I don't.

                        In my opinion, all these digital paintings still lack most of the dynamic aura that drew me to the game in 2001. Most of the illustrations look very static to me... even the ones in which there's some action. Also, I can't differentiate between the illustration from one artist to the other, meaning that my eye registers most of them as very flat and a bit boring. I think its a matter of budget and talent combined, but whenever I see generic kimonos, or even generic swords with no detail, I think... "meh another one of those cases in which the artist compensated the lack of creativity/research with fancy digital color and texture..."

                        When I'm sketching, or when I'm not getting paid, I usually draw with less details on weapons, accesories and clothing. That's because designing those things can sometimes be as hard and as challenging to design as characters are. So I tend to dislike when colors try to fool my eye to oversee the fact that I'm looking at a painted sketch, and not a well drawn illustration.

                        I think Exalted looks bad lately. Generic fantasy games at least have a decent established "medieval-cliche-aesthetic". But exalted... it had achieved some visual identity, and now it has been changed into a more sobber, almost static lower quality style.

                        I'm sorry, but I still can't praise this edition's visual style. :/

                        Feel free to disagree with me.


                        Join the Strife

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                          I think the art of WFHW has improved over what we saw in Ex3. The overall style has taken a defined route and is now more consistent. I'm sure a lot of guys and gals will like it. However, I don't.

                          In my opinion, all these digital paintings still lack most of the dynamic aura that drew me to the game in 2001. Most of the illustrations look very static to me... even the ones in which there's some action. Also, I can't differentiate between the illustration from one artist to the other, meaning that my eye registers most of them as very flat and a bit boring. I think its a matter of budget and talent combined, but whenever I see generic kimonos, or even generic swords with no detail, I think... "meh another one of those cases in which the artist compensated the lack of creativity/research with fancy digital color and texture..."

                          When I'm sketching, or when I'm not getting paid, I usually draw with less details on weapons, accesories and clothing. That's because designing those things can sometimes be as hard and as challenging to design as characters are. So I tend to dislike when colors try to fool my eye to oversee the fact that I'm looking at a painted sketch, and not a well drawn illustration.

                          I think Exalted looks bad lately. Generic fantasy games at least have a decent established "medieval-cliche-aesthetic". But exalted... it had achieved some visual identity, and now it has been changed into a more sobber, almost static lower quality style.

                          I'm sorry, but I still can't praise this edition's visual style. :/

                          Feel free to disagree with me.
                          I prefer the previous style too, but at least Mel Uran continues to be excellent.

                          Edit: I will also say that the art in this book does look better than the core. Can we get like a remastered version of the core later on down the line you think?

                          Oh goodness I just opened up the possibility of a third edition "revised." Please forgive me.
                          Last edited by Prometheus878; 12-27-2018, 08:22 PM.


                          Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

                          Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X