No announcement yet.

DrLoveMonkey's Review of DB Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, is Stone Fist Strike no longer Withering-only? If that didn't change, it cannot possibly assist with Decisive-only Rolling Boulder Blow or Firmament-Shattering Strike.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
      Wait, is Stone Fist Strike no longer Withering-only? If that didn't change, it cannot possibly assist with Decisive-only Rolling Boulder Blow or Firmament-Shattering Strike.
      Indeed it is no longer withering only. However the only advantage to a decisive is that it adds the smashing tag.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
        Indeed it is no longer withering only. However the only advantage to a decisive is that it adds the smashing tag.
        So it takes 3m, 2i, and -1 Defense to make a smashing attack. Oh, and breaking any non-Earth Aura.

Does Earth Aura do anything for decisive uses of the Charm, at least?

Does the Charm not grant the possibility of smashing attacks to withering attacks?
        Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 01-16-2019, 09:51 PM.

Comment

So it takes 3m, 1i, and -1 Defense to make a smashing attack. Oh, and breaking any non-Earth Aura.

Does Earth Aura do anything for decisive uses of the Charm, at least?

Does the Charm not grant the possibility of smashing attacks to withering attacks?
          The charm also grants the smashing tag to withering attacks, but the bonus to the attack roll and, obviously, the overwhelming damage do not apply to decisive attacks. And yes, to make the smashing attack one must still pay the cost of smashing, which is actually -1D and 2i. It can actually be extremely powerful though. Knocking sombody prone makes them take a -1 to Parry and a -2 to Evasion* and then if they want to end that condition they have to flurry, which is a -1 to Defense in general and a -3 to any action they flurry it with. Or they could just waste an entire turn doing nothing but scrambling to their feet, that'd be cool too.

*As well as -3 to attacks

Comment

The charm also grants the smashing tag to withering attacks, but the bonus to the attack roll and, obviously, the overwhelming damage do not apply to decisive attacks.
            Yes, the Overwhelming benefit is pointless, but that doesn't mean any damage bonus is impossible.

I don't see why the automatic success on the attack roll is incompatible with a decisive attack dice-pool, either. It's not an Accuracy bonus, it's a Charm-die bonus worth two rolled dice.

which is actually -1D and 2i.
            I mistyped.

It can actually be extremely powerful though.
            I know knocking a target prone is powerful, but you can use the Charm for the same price to do it with a withering attack that will be more accurate from the accuracy bonus and the automatic success.

You're paying the SAME cost for the decisive attack, but with less effect.

While decisive smash attacks are still useful, it mostly just ends up being a tax on using Rolling Boulder Blow and Firmament-Shattering Strike barehanded, when either of those Charms could just enable the ability to make smashing attacks (with the usual cost) on their own. Especially FSS, which is a Simple-type Charm to begin with.

Comment

While decisive smash attacks are still useful, it mostly just ends up being a tax on using Rolling Boulder Blow and Firmament-Shattering Strike barehanded, when either of those Charms could just enable the ability to make smashing attacks (with the usual cost) on their own. Especially FSS, which is a Simple-type Charm to begin with.
              Yeah I think the effect could definitely stand to get at least the bonus success for decisives. That way it's not 100% just a copy of the excellency, just to be a bit different, and more worth the cost probably? Especially since I'm not sure that any of this can't just be done while wearing a cestus.

Comment

Especially since I'm not sure that any of this can't just be done while wearing a cestus.
                It totally can! Just a simple, makeshift cestus is all it takes to get the smashing tag on natural Brawl attacks.

Comment

It totally can! Just a simple, makeshift cestus is all it takes to get the smashing tag on natural Brawl attacks.
                  Actually, it MIGHT not. Oddly Stone Fist specifies unarmed attack, where looking through the other brawl charms they don’t. Perhaps Stone Fist Strike can only be used while truely unarmed?

This is important to me as DB brawler is one of my new favourite character concepts. Just something about a magistrate using stone chipping fists and water grapples to kill demons is awesome.

Comment

Actually, it MIGHT not. Oddly Stone Fist specifies unarmed attack
                    That would be absolute bullshit.

Comment

That would be absolute bullshit.
                      Looks like that is the case, that definitely encourages smash fists and stuff for those later charms.

Comment

Looks like that is the case, that definitely encourages smash fists and stuff for those later charms.
                        Are you saying that you can't use Stone Fist Strike with smashfists, or that SFS merely clarifies that its smashing effect only works for barehanded attacks?

That would make sense, as a way to clarify that SFS doesn't allow you to stack smashing effects with itself and a smashing attack enabled by a smashfist.

Comment

Are you saying that you can't use Stone Fist Strike with smashfists, or that SFS merely clarifies that its smashing effect only works for barehanded attacks?

That would make sense, as a way to clarify that SFS doesn't allow you to stack smashing effects with itself and a smashing attack enabled by a smashfist.
                          SFS only works with truly unarmed attacks period. If I were to wager a guess as to why, I'd imagine it's because stacking that with Pounding Surf Style on top of an already overwhelming 3 weapon would be considered too much?

There's actually a kind of interesting dynamic there. If you know your foe is going to reduce you to overwhelming damage anyway, then you can cut e damage adders, focus only on overwhelming, and also drop your full power excellency if you don't need it, since overflowing their defence doesn't do anything.

Not sure how I feel about it being such an important pre-req though. I kind of get it from a theme standpoint, but I might have made it an offshoot.
                          Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 01-17-2019, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X