Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Expanded Lotus: Padoru Preview (Expanded MA Homebrew)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Expanded Lotus: Padoru Preview (Expanded MA Homebrew)

To continue with my tradition of writing something for every Christmas I give the following offering this year: A preview into my next work tentatively called The Expanded Lotus.

Ever wonder what it would be like if Martial Arts didn't stop beyond the currently listed styles? What if they could be expanded and fleshed out just like any other combat ability? The Path of the Expanded Lotus offers new and esoteric lessons and truths to those who walk the path of martial arts, allowing them to go above and beyond into a world of martial arts never seen before.

To the curious initiates who wish to learn more then they may view the scroll for themselves. Inside contains the expanded Tiger Style so that your Celestial Tiger may reach even greater heights of savagery and brutality.

Don't be shy, feedback is valued. Go ahead and post your questions and concerns down below.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
    Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Hm...my first concern is more conceptual--I recall it coming up a few times that you can add Martial Arts charms to styles? Either with esoteric scrolls or similiar material. Also the Expanded Lotus merit seems...

Charms, from my moderate grasp of mechanics

Steel Sundering Strike seems too good in concept of de-attuning artifacts, but I'd have to check Larceny to know if it actually is.
    Mastery of Predator relization should probably be (Essence or 3, which ever is higher). a straight -3 is a bit too good for essence 1 characters.
    Instant Throat Ripping references "non-supernatural ressurection" which...isn't a thing for most existence in exalted? From the example, I think you mean repairing automatons or reforming spirits, which seems a bit niche?

Otherwise neat! I look forward to more martial arts!

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

In terms of martial arts being infinitely expanded, yes some detail is already there. It is largely a "mother may I" affair however. This homebrew is designed to be used as part of a whole. After looking at my notes however it does seem that allowing expanded MA's to cross practice with each other would be a bad idea, the same reason why it would be bad to allow Melee and Brawl to share an ability.

Steel Sundering Strike is more or less from Earth Dragon,which I feel will become the metric for attuning artifacts in battle for many people.

Predator Realization was based on Joint Wounding Attack.Its easier to apply but on the downside the enemy can get rid of it far easier. If they do resist it, rip someone in two, reset social action, then again.

That ability of Throat Ripping is a little niche in its extra effects. The main meat of the charm is elsewhere, but I feel its a welcome extra just in case something tries to trigger it. A few nasty charms in 2.Xe had such conditions, so I'm making this charm to say such things ahead of time. Additionally the ability to instantly kill a character when the ST tries to make it so they're one step away from death is useful at times too. Welcome benefits, but the central meat of the charm (Auto-killing an opponent, resetting a social condition, and reflexive AoE social roll) should be enough in case those never happen.

Comment

Isn't Flowing Kata Form just how martial arts form charms already work?

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
          Isn't Flowing Kata Form just how martial arts form charms already work?
          Unless I misread. Which might be the case as I dont have the book on hand to check. I will admit it's an ancient part of 3e homebrew I made a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
          X