Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Lookshy has what like a hundred times the Concentration of Exalted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    My assumption is that a mortal child of a dynast at full progenitive potential is as likely to have a dragon blooded kid as the mortal child of an outcaste or a mortal who failed to exalt because their parent's essence was spent.
    Then what does it mean for Dragonblooded to have different levels of Breeding? Was the idea of Exaltation being more common in some Dynastic families than others retconned out of existence and I missed it?

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    The only thing that changes it is how far back your last dragon blooded ancestor was. "Well bred" for a mortal is about keeping that percentage of dragon blooded ancestors high and it doesn't matter how pure the bloodline of that ancestor was.
    I'm not quite sure how you would calculate that %. Would a child with 4 dragon-blooded grandparents and two mortal parents have the same odds as one with two DB parents (because all of their lines of descent hit DBs?)? Or do they go down because of the mortals in the middle?

Comment

• Ok, so I was modelling it like this: Say you have a mortal kid of a dragon blooded. If they have a kid with a mortal of no specific bloodline and the kid doesn't exalt, then their chances of having a kid who does will be lower than their parent's. If, however, that mortal has a kid with another child of a dragon blooded and their kid doesn't exalt, then that kid will have just as much chance to have a dragon blooded child as they did.

The dragon blooded themselves aren't affected by this. They can be thin blooded just fine, and that is the bulk of what determines how many scions a house produces.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackwell View Post
        Then what does it mean for Dragonblooded to have different levels of Breeding? Was the idea of Exaltation being more common in some Dynastic families than others retconned out of existence and I missed it?
        Not quite. It is still a setting detail, just not a game mechanic.

Your characters can follow the expectation, or be a statistical outlier, without needing dice rolls to make that determination.

See also: Pg 143, Ex3 Dragonblooded, Breeding and Exaltation bluebox.

Comment

• It's worth mentioning that the main thing progenitive essence does is preserve the integrity of the setting. It's there to stop the lone sorcerer with a neomah, or the outcaste king with many wives from having more Dragon-Blooded children than an entire Great House.

The Freedom Stone is back, help it to live again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lioness View Post
            It's worth mentioning that the main thing progenitive essence does is preserve the integrity of the setting. It's there to stop the lone sorcerer with a neomah, or the outcaste king with many wives from having more Dragon-Blooded children than an entire Great House.
            I'm actually curious if changing the setting will stop ideas of people already ignoring the setting.

Still at least it might stop those that argued it would work out of the mechanics, which was simplified and not how the setting worked; or it might mean those type of players finds a new way to game the mechanics (higher ratio of males in their breeding camps, perhaps?).

Comment

• Originally posted by Lundgren View Post
              I'm actually curious if changing the setting will stop ideas of people already ignoring the setting.
              I don't think they were ignoring the setting though. Most Dragon-Blooded breeding schemes I've seen over the years were a misguided attempt to give Lunars an acomplishment.

Originally posted by Lundgren
              or it might mean those type of players finds a new way to game the mechanics (higher ratio of males in their breeding camps, perhaps?).
              Some people are just very commited to rape.I don't care about those people.

The Freedom Stone is back, help it to live again.

Comment

• What is the Overall population of Lookshy I wonder? Just so I can compare the DB numbers to something.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

• If they have 3,000 DBs and DBs make up 1% of the population, that makes a population of 300,000.

Comment

• I have some thoughts.

And because the forum still doesn't work properly on my laptop browser and I have to do this on my phone, they'll be kind of piecemeal. Bear with me.

First off, I've changed my mind about leftover children. I can actually see a background in which fine knowledge of how that affects bloodline becomes distorted by fear and prejudice (helped along a bit by parties with agendas). I can also see how that never gets fixed if nobody is willing to risk their own bloodline for the sake of experiment.

For the sake of players and storytellers, I can actually see benefits to removing the complication from the actual function of breeding, and the main thing I liked about it (genealogy intrigue) would remain intact.

So I've no beef with that, and will endeavour to find erroneous references to assist the developers.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Before I say aught else, I want to reiterate a perspective on progenitive Essence:

If the only thing it did, or even primary thing, was cut off theorycrafting and/or close off holes in the lore, I would value it less, because I think that addressing observations like that shouldn't be the priority of any fiction, and is often likely to produce weak results.

I find the primary value of the concept is that it creates compelling drama of its own, by adding an additional social layer to the matter of how the Dragon Blooded pass on their power.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                        I find the primary value of the concept is that it creates compelling drama of its own, by adding an additional social layer to the matter of how the Dragon Blooded pass on their power.
                        Now, that is an argument I buy. While I personally don't find that particular drama to be compelling, that's just my personal preference.

Comment

• Re; progenitive essence for maintenance of the setting, I don't have a hate on it or anything, but I'm not too convinced it's needed as opposed to simpler and less impactful fixes like "Neomah (or other magic breeding methods) are not so good for Dragonblooded essence" or "If you're an outcaste who can get enough high breeding women around to do that, and keep all this show on the road despite the challenges of the setting, then "mazel tov". So far this hasn't happened.", that allow more rapid population expansions under the right conditions (but acknowledges those conditions as hard to achieve).

Comment

• For neomah, at least, I prefer where they came down because of the way that doesn't leave the mixed message of "the setting contains escapist elements such as sorcery to overcome various kinds of inability to conceive children" and saying that Terrestrial Exalted end up excluded from that and have a more strictly enforced heteronormativity.

I know there's an argument about the idea that the setting might lend itself to a certain unsentimental presentation, but I... don't care? It's not something I don't care about in all instances, but for something like this, and considering the last few years, I don't care.

Comment

• There are probably middle ways where you can alter the Neomah function to reduce sorcery baby factory type stuff while supporting same sex couple reproduction fantasy stuff to a degree that it's not hugely more or less difficult than the status quo.

Comment

• Now, I don't have the books close by. But as far as I know, a Neomah creates a child from bits it bites of from the parents. So a "normal" child of a neomah usually has a hundred parents or more.

While being a Dragon-Blood means faster healing rates, providing 50% of the material would mean some very serious wounds. Also, I can't see it increasing the chance of an exaltation. It definitely isn't a shortcut for producing offsprings.

So I don't see having them as a way for those not falling into the fertile heterosexual category to have kids in any way means a potential population explosion of exalts.

Comment

Working...
                                X