Single Point Shining Into the Void Style patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Point Shining Into the Void Style patch

So for a long time there's been somewhat of a consensus on the martial art with the ridiculously long name being pretty unbalanced, mostly centered around its form and the horrible things it does to action economy. I won't go deep into those criticisms here; both myself and others have talked about it at length elsewhere. Instead, I'm here to share and ask for feedback on my little homebrew fix. I tried to change as little as possible while still getting something I might actually let a player use in a game.

Single Point Shining Into the Void patch

Gathering Light Concentration:
    unchanged

Shining Starfall Execution:
    unchanged

Single Point Shining Into the Void Form:
    replace with:
    The martial artist is capable of entering a state of refined awareness called FOCUS.
    She enters FOCUS in the following ways:
    -when she activates this form
    -when she takes an aim action
    -when she causes a non-trivial enemy to go from having higher initiative than her to lower.
    She may expend the FOCUS state to perform one of the following:
    -as a reflexive effect, when making a withering attack, perform a second withering attack against the same target.
    -as a supplemental effect, when making a decisive attack, make two attack rolls and choose the best result.
    Other charms of this style gain additional effects when expending FOCUS.

Fatal Stroke Flash:
    unchanged

Liquid Steel Flow:
    replace second paragraph with:
    When expending FOCUS on a withering attack, this charm enhances both attacks at no additional cost.
    When expending FOCUS on a decisive attack, convert (Dexterity) damage dice into successes instead.

Void-Slicing Wind:
    instead of acting at the same time as her sword, the martial artist can perform Countless Strikes Sheathed by expending her FOCUS.

Horizon-Swallowed Star Flash:
    replace second paragraph with:
    if the martial artist expends her FOCUS as part of the decisive attack, double the amount of initiative gained.

Six-Demon Scabbard Binding:
    unchanged

Blinding Nova Flare:
    Cost: 6m 1w
    replace with:
    The martial artist must be in this style's form and must expend her FOCUS to activate this technique.
    Before making her decisive attack against an enemy with lower initiative, the martial artist rolls her current initiative without double 10s.
    Each success imposes a -1 penalty to the target's defense.
    If this penalty would reduce their base parry to 0 or lower, the attack becomes unblockable.
    If this penalty would reduce their base evasion to 0 or lower, the attack becomes undodgeable.

Terrestrial: a Dragon-Blooded practitioner can't make her attacks unblockable or undodgeable.
    Mastery: if the attack becomes both unblockable and undodgeable, leftover successes on the initiative roll increase the raw damage of the attack by 1 each.

I really like the idea behind this patch, speaking as someone who also really likes the original Single Point Style (though I also acknowledge its potential for shattering balance).

If I ever get to use Single Point again, I'll definitely ask if I can use this patch or something similar to it. I'll probably be adding my own twist to it, given how much I like tinkering.

Comment

-as a reflexive effect, when making a withering attack, perform a second withering attack against the same target.
      And gain the initiative of both?

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
      Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post

And gain the initiative of both?
        That's the idea. I wanted to keep the multiple attacks aspect of the original while making it less spamable. An alternative would be to give it the same effect as the decisive version, or to limit the initiative given by the second attack in some manner.

Comment

Might as well remove the style. No reason to pick this over Melee (Edit: ok Six-Demon Scabbard Binding is still an awesome shaping defence) and good reasons not to.
          Last edited by limaxophobiac; 01-17-2019, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post

That's the idea. I wanted to keep the multiple attacks aspect of the original while making it less spamable. An alternative would be to give it the same effect as the decisive version, or to limit the initiative given by the second attack in some manner.
            Getting initiative twice as fast on a single track is far more potent than two tracks with separate initiative. The latter has a hard damage cap that still requires two attacks to unload, the former allows a rapid buildup of initiative which is far harder to overcome.

Also when the sword track is crashed it's a bitch to get it reactivated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post

Getting initiative twice as fast on a single track is far more potent than two tracks with separate initiative. The latter has a hard damage cap that still requires two attacks to unload, the former allows a rapid buildup of initiative which is far harder to overcome.

Also when the sword track is crashed it's a bitch to get it reactivated.
              Point. But unlike the original its imposible to get two attacks every turn. At best you can do a double attack every two turns which is essentialy the same as normal, plus getting an extra with the same condition as One Weapon Two Blows. So you're not really gaining initiative twice as fast unless you're chaining crashes on increasingly-high initiative opponents.

Comment

About Focus. Is it like Charge (from Steel Devil Style) in that you have a pool, or is Focus a singular state that you gain, spend, and regain but do not have multiple points in a pool?

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
                  About Focus. Is it like Charge (from Steel Devil Style) in that you have a pool, or is Focus a singular state that you gain, spend, and regain but do not have multiple points in a pool?
                  The latter.

Comment

10m for the new form seems like quite a bit too much, and I feel like it could both be reduced in cost and given some extra benefits. Some parry or soak like other form charms, possibly, or a unique extra passive benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
                      I would label Focus a "binary condition".

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by nihnoz View Post
                        10m for the new form seems like quite a bit too much, and I feel like it could both be reduced in cost and given some extra benefits. Some parry or soak like other form charms, possibly, or a unique extra passive benefit.
                        That goes against the theme of Single Point: Offense to the extreme.

The soul defense charm in the style? Gathering Light? It isn't a defense charm, the primary purpose of it is supposed to be an offensive charm, as you can lower an opponent's defense with it.

Comment

Originally posted by nihnoz View Post
                          Really? I was worried about the opposite. There's what Sandact pointed out, and best-of-2 on decisives is really good, especially when clashing (either normally or through Horizon-Swallowed Star Flash.

Comment

The main problem I see with Focus is how it's going to interact with mechanics that reward Aim actions, most notably the attunement bonus of Shining Ice Mirror due to it not being a hypothetical problem.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                              The main problem I see with Focus is how it's going to interact with mechanics that reward Aim actions, most notably the attunement bonus of Shining Ice Mirror due to it not being a hypothetical problem.
                              Is there anything besides that sword? (aside from Archery and RDS stuff which are incompatible of course)
                              True, there could be future stuff, but I see that space for synergy mainly as a plus, not as a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X