Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ailment-Rectifying Method: What am I missing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
    Is it possible that we're all reading this wrong, and that it's implied that the (Intelligence + Medicine) roll is meant to be treated as the standard (Int + Med) roll for mundane healing, and the Solar doctor is just so good that their treatment even has half of the overflow successes apply on the next roll as well?

    That somehow feels more right to me, especially since the Solar's assistants have to keep up care in order to keep that healing essence hanging around, and also just half of overflow successes is often a pretty small pool to just be adding additional dice for. I mean it doesn't SAY that it is, but could it be?
    That...could be right? When it says "the next interval" it could very well mean "the interval after the one for which you are currently treating them."

    On the other hand, although the Charm "represents an hour spent treating a patient" etc., it doesn't say anywhere that it actually shortens the time required for the normal benefits of treatment. So while it only takes an hour to add the dice bonus to the patient's roll on the next interval, it may well be that you still need to spend the usual amount of time (depending on disease interval) if you want the patient to be able to use your roll on the current interval.

    Or maybe I'm wrong. This Charm is a bit confusing. (Which is odd, because the rest of the Solar Medicine Charms seem pretty straightforward.)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Jefepato View Post

      That...could be right? When it says "the next interval" it could very well mean "the interval after the one for which you are currently treating them."

      On the other hand, although the Charm "represents an hour spent treating a patient" etc., it doesn't say anywhere that it actually shortens the time required for the normal benefits of treatment. So while it only takes an hour to add the dice bonus to the patient's roll on the next interval, it may well be that you still need to spend the usual amount of time (depending on disease interval) if you want the patient to be able to use your roll on the current interval.

      Or maybe I'm wrong. This Charm is a bit confusing. (Which is odd, because the rest of the Solar Medicine Charms seem pretty straightforward.)
      Yeah it could both shorten the time for treatment and add the bonus to the next interval that they make themselves.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

        Yeah it could both shorten the time for treatment and add the bonus to the next interval that they make themselves.

        I don't think shortening the treatment is supportable from the text, and the next charm in the tree, Plague-Banishing Incitation, is the one that lets you immediately remove a disease, so giving that to Ailment-Rectifying Method would make PBI pretty redundant.

        Personally, I don't find the "remember the dice you rolled" element of Ailment-Rectifying Method to be too onerous, but that's because, when it's come up for a bunch of minor NPCs, I've just relied heavily on average rolls. I just asked the Solar doctor how much essence she was willing to spend on each roll for things like Excellency, figured average rolls for each roll she made, and figured the NPCs' average (Stamina + Resistance) rolls based on that. Tracking exactly how many successes, and hence how many extra dice, were achieved on a particular ARM roll is something I'd only bother to track in the case of PCs or important NPCs.

        One benefit of the dice that ARM gives is that they're, if not non-charm, then at least cap-breaking. I assume that from the wording of the charm, which doesn't say anything about the dice being capped by the subject's normal limits. It would be kind of lame if the Solar doctor got 6 successes past the difficulty, and the ST had to say "Sorry, only two of those are going to apply, because this Dragon-Blood only has Resistance 2". So, cap-breaking dice are pretty good - it means if you're treating your Solar buddy with Stamina 2, Resistance 1, they can potentially get a lot more dice than they normally could add themselves.

        All that said, I do think that simply treating Ailment-Rectifying Method as a normal roll to treat the disease (that is, if your roll is better than the patient's, they get to use that instead), but without the need to treat them every day of the interval, probably won't break anything.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
          I don't think shortening the treatment is supportable from the text, and the next charm in the tree, Plague-Banishing Incitation, is the one that lets you immediately remove a disease, so giving that to Ailment-Rectifying Method would make PBI pretty redundant.
          Well, not really. "Less treatment time required to treat one interval of the disease" isn't redundant with "the disease immediately ends regardless of its current intensity."

          I do agree, though, that a plain-language reading of the text doesn't actually support shortening the treatment time.

          Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
          One benefit of the dice that ARM gives is that they're, if not non-charm, then at least cap-breaking. I assume that from the wording of the charm, which doesn't say anything about the dice being capped by the subject's normal limits. It would be kind of lame if the Solar doctor got 6 successes past the difficulty, and the ST had to say "Sorry, only two of those are going to apply, because this Dragon-Blood only has Resistance 2". So, cap-breaking dice are pretty good - it means if you're treating your Solar buddy with Stamina 2, Resistance 1, they can potentially get a lot more dice than they normally could add themselves.
          The dice pool limits are "absolute unless a Charm contradicts them" (page 252). As such, I'm pretty sure the normal limits do apply. The Charm doesn't need to say the dice are capped by the subject's normal limits, because that's how things normally work. (Solar dice caps apply even to effects used by other Exalted to aid the Solar, so I would assume the reverse is also true for other beings with stated dice caps.)

          ...I mean, personally I'd be inclined to let it slide. If the Solar's player seriously rolls 6 extra successes, I'd be perfectly happy to let the patient add 3 dice to the roll even if their own dice cap wouldn't allow it. But I don't think that's RAW. (I assume most patients are likely to be mortals anyway. Do mortals have a dice cap that applies to magical beings aiding them?)

          Comment

          Working...
          X