Exalted 3E "Let's Play" or easy intros

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted 3E "Let's Play" or easy intros

Am about to start running 3E, with a bunch of players mostly new to it. Most of them are pretty happy to get stuck in, but one is a bit "Not another system to learn..."

He's good with games, played a wide variety of stuff, so I think it's mostly a case of giving him a hand, examples etc.

Are there any good Exalted 'Lets play' or intro videos? Or any guides people have written that lay out the rough system concepts in a quick and accessible fashion? Over time he can pick up more in play, just something to make it easier for him to initially get into it.

How familiar is he with the storyteller system in general?

Comment

I'm very fond of this tutorial, it's both informative and fun to read:
      https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre...at-301.769761/

Full credits to Mengtzu

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
        How familiar is he with the storyteller system in general?

Not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by FearMeForIAmPink View Post

Not at all.
          Ah, that's really tough then. Learning a new system can be really hard to do all at once. Something I might recommend is to start out with a few mortal games? Or even one, that's unrelated to the chronicle you want to tell. Just getting your head around how Ex3's combat works and how dicepools are formed and that ground level stuff would be good. Then you can get into dicecaps, and charm combos, and the difference between reflexive and simple charms, and the two different mote pools.

Especially for Exalted, where if you don't understand the system you have no idea what any of the charms really do, because you're all like "This charm seems better, but it says Withering only...? And then here's one that says it lasts until the target's defense refreshes, is that a long time? Also this Presence charm here talks about descision points, is that something I want?" And you end up picking like at least 10 charms that you have no idea what they really do and you're trying to remember all of that while keeping in your head that you need to go higher in the turn order to actually deal damage.

I think it would help a lot anyway, I recently learned the new Star Trek: Adventure system, or am learning it anyway, when I can, and I can say that Let's Plays and tutorials are kind of helpful, but nothing in the world learns you a system faster than actually using it and introducing new pieces bit by bit.

EDIT: I will say the downside of starting with mortals is that you don't get right into the parrying a mountain being thrown at you gameplay that is one of Exalted's selling points, so you might need to tell people that part is coming later or something. It's a hard choice.
          Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 01-21-2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

When I started my current 3e campaign, I did a single session intro tutorial where I gave everyone a standard mortal statblock from the back of the corebook and had them fight a hellboar, just so we got the combat system figured out. And we learned that charging directly into massed arrow fire is really not a thing you want to do, even if you’re a giant murder pig.

Doing something like that to start with can be a nice way to introduce some things and can even be useful for helping set up the story. I mean, if you’re planning a game where the PCs are wandering heroes, doing a prelude session where they’re all playing as random mortal villagers out hunting and run into a monster allows them to practice the combat system and makes them care more about this village and the monster that presumably killed them, so it’ll be very satisfying when they kill it later.

Comment

Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
              I'm very fond of this tutorial, it's both informative and fun to read:
              https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre...at-301.769761/

Full credits to Mengtzu
              I second reading this. It helps a bunch.

Comment

I'd second the idea of playing a first 'throwaway' session (or two) that's not connected to the campaign that you're planning, so your players can fool around and get a handle on the mechanics.

This could entail playing as mortals, sure. But it might be even better if your players are playing as newly exalted Solars, with perhaps just one or two charms to their names.

Comment

Working...
                X