Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Bears, Riding Bugs, and Forge Goddesses: New Hundred Devils!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might have gotten the wrong impression for how wide-spread or regular the use of armored bears was supposed to be.

I thought it was being implied that the bears were domesticated, as opposed to the far greater effort and rarity of taming a wild predator.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
      One could argue that the benthic knifetooth and other purely water-breathing creatures only have the 0-dot version of the Gills merit
      Don't look at merits designed for human characters when looking at animals. Birds don't have the Wings merit, they're just understood to have wings, just as they lack a Flaw to represent a lack of hands and opposable thumbs.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post

But it doesn't explicitly say they breath both in and out of water, it says "Gills in their necks allow them to dive for long periods to hunt fish that live in caves deep below the water’s surface, or to evade human hunters’ spears and harpoons," which reads to me like they do need to surface like whales.

Gills are a physical structure that allow a creature to extract oxygen from water. If the bears were like whales, and needed to surface periodically, I'd expect the description to talk about their ability to hold their breath for long periods instead. The bears can have the ability to breathe underwater indefinitely without the desire to live there permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

Gills are a physical structure that allow a creature to extract oxygen from water. If the bears were like whales, and needed to surface periodically, I'd expect the description to talk about their ability to hold their breath for long periods instead. The bears can have the ability to breathe underwater indefinitely without the desire to live there permanently.
          Yes, because looking at things in the entirely basic l magic based setting of Exalted solely in relation to real world physics, biology, and chemistry has certainly never led to any problems in the past 😉 *coughfiredustcough*

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post

Yes, because looking at things in the entirely basic l magic based setting of Exalted solely in relation to real world physics, biology, and chemistry has certainly never led to any problems in the past 😉 *coughfiredustcough*

This isn't really a question of "biological plausibility", though. This is a question of "what do words mean?". If the authors wrote "gills" but intended it to mean "able to hold their breath for a long time", that's just bad writing, because "gills" has a widely accepted meaning, and if you don't specify otherwise, that's what people are going to assume. If I write "this bird flies using its wings from tree to tree", it would be a failure of communication on my part if I actually meant "this mammal glides from tree to tree on flaps of skin, and can't gain altitude, just stay level or go downwards". "It's magic!" doesn't explain poorer capability from things we know exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
              I might have gotten the wrong impression for how wide-spread or regular the use of armored bears was supposed to be.

I thought it was being implied that the bears were domesticated, as opposed to the far greater effort and rarity of taming a wild predator.
              I think that in a case such as this, rarity is relative. If every member of a community that only consists of a few thousand people trains falcons to assist in hunting, as a matter of tradition and even livelihood, it's rare in the overall scheme of things, but still pervasive to that society.

I'm not sure if every member of the tribes that worship the proper avatar are expected to tame a bear, but it might still be enough to be a major factor in their own society, and significant to their interactions with others. That armour doesn't need to be mass produced to be a consideration.

It might be time consuming, but societies like that can often have time to spare. Even more so if your regular hunting can be assisted by an apex predator.

Think about it; you kill one Ursid, composed of enough meat to feed your family for a month, that's a month you can spare to taming another.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I'd probably have just a handful of characters in the tribe actually riding them (as oppose to a battle group) but grouping them together like shock cavalry so that the poor bastard they dogpile on gets a sense of what the Tepet Legions went through.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Presumably they're a species of polar bear that got a bit too close to the wyld one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakesandsuns View Post
                    Aww man, when I seen water bears I thought it was going to be giant Tardigrades.
                    Yeah I clicked just to see if that is what they did. But hey I love polar bears too!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                    X