Evocations - Improving on Monkey Leap Technique without going too far

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
    Make it Reflexive so that it can be used without counting as the character's movement.
    I don't know about you, but I already treat Monkey Leap Technique as supplementing the reflexive Move action, including any reflexive Move actions granted by successful Disengage or Rush actions. This is pretty much how Perfect Climbing Attitude works.

How did YOU interpret it?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

I mean, it is interesting to consider that Monkey Leap Technique might be mutually exclusive with a Rise From Prone, Rush, Disengage, Withdraw, or Take Cover action in the same way that Incense Smoke Ladder is incompatible with a Disengage or Withdraw action. Especially if this means Perfect Climbing Attitude is better than Monkey Leap Technique in some ways.

Comment

Monkey Leap is Supplemental, so I assume it supplements any one movement action, including the reflexive move. I think the part about it counting as the movement for the turn is just there to make it clear that it does not provide extra distance over the normal options

Comment

I believe I heard that the corebook was rushed out because of the playtest leak, and that's why it seems so oddly rough in places?

The Athletics rules and Charms seem to be one such victim. Monkey Leap Technique, Soaring Crane Leap, and Unbound Eagle Impulse.

And does anyone get Demon-Wasting Rush, rather than (or in addition to) Godspeed Steps?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
            I don't know about you, but I already treat Monkey Leap Technique as supplementing the reflexive Move action, including any reflexive Move actions granted by successful Disengage or Rush actions. This is pretty much how Perfect Climbing Attitude works.

How did YOU interpret it?
            By the book...

Monkey Leap only supplements the reflexive Move action, so you get one and only one per turn and can't combine it with non-Move actions. You don't get any bonus distance, but you get to disregard any terrain that can be leapt over.

As a Reflexvive...

All that above, but you can also use it to supplement your normal action. If you add a Monkey Leap to an attack, for instance, you could leap directly into the attack, after having already taken your reflexive Move (which could also be Monkey-Leapt). You could also add it to a Thunderbolt Attack. Or you could take a second Move as a flurry with a defense or something.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
              By the book...

Monkey Leap only supplements the reflexive Move action
              False.

The Exalt leaps with the speed and grace of a striking hawk. Using this technique, a Solar may automatically leap forward or straight up one range band. A Solar using this Charm can easily leap to the top of a twenty foot wall or cross a Nexus street over rooftops, without having to roll. This Charm counts as the Solar’s movement for the turn. If the Solar continues to leap to a different range band each turn, the cost is reduced to one mote after the first activation.

It references the one movement action a character gets each turn.

The types of movement actions a character make take includes the reflexive Move action, the normal Disengage action which basically creates an immediate reflexive Move action if it succeeds, a Rush action which is granted the special exception of being used together with a Move action in the same turn, a Withdraw action, a Rise From Prone action, and a Take Cover action.

"Move action" and "movement action" are related but separate concepts, with "Move" being but one form of "movement".

By the rules as written, you cannot use Monkey Leap Technique with any of the listed movement actions (not even Move, though the Charm renders the point moot), while Perfect Climbing Attitude and Incense Smoke Ladder may be.

Which seems fairly absurd and not intentional.

As a Reflexvive...
              It would still have the same problem. It's not the type that hinders it, but the wording regarding movement actions.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                Maybe being able to jump 2 range bands over 2 turns without stopping? It doesn't make it faster, but it lets you cross big gorges, etc.
                This is what Soaring Crane Leap allows you to do, I believe.

Flare really helped with the idea that web-lines could be used to essentially "hover" in the air after using Monkey Leap Technique or Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique to launch one's self into the empty air, since this isn't something that Solar Charms allow, and it's really tricky and expensive for Dragon-Blooded.

Soaring Crane Leap and Unbound Eagle Impulse present the new complication, not least of which because they seem roughly written, like they were caught between drafts, just like Monkey Leap Technique.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  I would have it call for an ammunition check after (Essence) uses in that case.
                  This is the tricky part of adaptation.
                  Are we putting Crescent Rose into Creation or representing RWBY in Exalted? Because the availability of bullets in Creation is a complication.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                  Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                    This is the tricky part of adaptation.
                    Are we putting Crescent Rose into Creation or representing RWBY in Exalted? Because the availability of bullets in Creation is a complication.
                    I know, right?

Yang's Ember Celica ammunition is easier to just rule as Creation's firedust, especially for the short-range rounds, with Evocations or Righteous Devil Charms filling in for the long-range explosive rounds.

Comment

No response for these questions in the Ask Devs thread:

There are no written rules for climbing. Monkey Leap Technique and Perfect Climbing Attitude suggest that you need to succeed on an Athletics roll to climb a wall or a tree, though no mention is made of ladders or walls with steps and handholds built in, as far as determining the minimum level of difficulty. Like, is there any sort of ascent that you can make without a Charm and without a roll?

Does Monkey Leap Technique allow you to cross (context-appropriate forms of) difficult terrain with one action? Does it allow you to ignore difficulty terrain penalties when performing a Rush or Disengage action with a leap?

Does climbing a wall or tree, on top of requiring an Athletics roll, count as difficult terrain? Or can you Rush or Disengage without penalty as long as you beat the Athletics roll?

Would Verdant Dragon's Footprints help with climbing a tree or other plantlife in a manner similar to how Perfect Climbing Attitude works with stone?

Comment

Like, is there any sort of ascent that you can make without a Charm and without a roll?
                        Per the Core book, you can often perform actions without a roll as long as it's not especially difficult. As such, it seems reasonable to not call for a roll to climb a ladder or rock face with lots of handholds unless there were other factors involved, like someone shooting arrows at you, or climbing during a hurricane.

Does climbing a wall or tree, on top of requiring an Athletics roll, count as difficult terrain?
                        In part I'd say that depends on the tree.

Comment

Working...
                        X