Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New for 3E: Ashen Heart Style

Ashen Heart Style

Ashen Heart Style is the last living remnant of a long-forgotten tragedy, born of an ill-starred love that crossed the border into obsession. Ruan Yu was her name when she first met him in that remote village on the edge of creation, though she has taken many names since. Newly ordained as a Maiden of Creation, she had been left mentorless by the war and was adrift, helping however she could. His was Hesiesh, the Immaculate Dragon incarnate, and he came to that village to work what miracles he could. Years ago, his power had washed over the world in a conflagration not seen since the Three Spheres Cataclysm and, now, he had none left to give but the strength of his arms. They became traveling companions, and she grew to love the Dragon as she never had before. But Hesiesh, he spurned her again and again until one stormy night he cut ties completely.

Ruan Yu was adrift again. The Sidereals called her back to service, but she was unfocused. Absentminded. She rose in prominence and took students, lovers, and each one she tried to mould into her half-remembered lost love. It was during this time, her heart aching, that she created Ashen Heart Style - hoping beyond hope that some student may take it to heart and become the man she had not gone a day without thinking of for a thousand years. But they were not, could not be the Dragon, and each student failed her.

Today Ashen Heart Style is almost extinct, considered deeply heretical by the Immaculate Order for its twisted veneration of the Dragon seen through a broken woman’s mind. What few practitioners are left are almost exclusively orders of thieves and assassins who find it's mundane utilities useful in their dark line of work. There has not been a true master in generations, and in a few more Ruan Yu's anguished declaration of love will fade completely from the world.

Ashen Heart Style Weapons: None
    Armor: None

The Path Walked Alone
    Cost: 3m, 2i; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Uniform, Perilous
    Duration: One Round
    Perquisite Charms: None

For all of his travels and all of his good works, Ruan Yu never knew Hesiesh to love anyone - even his fellow Dragons. Instead he traveled alone, always alone. Ashen Heart stylists learn to emulate this loneliness with every action, letting none close without meaning to.

When an opponent moves into Close Range of the stylist, she may activate this charm to make a contested (Wits + Martial Arts) roll between her and her opponent. Any threshold successes are added as automatic successes to Parry attempts vs. that opponent.

Sudden Pyrolysis Kata
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Withering-Only
    Duration: Instant
    Perquisite Charms: None

When accosted on the road by the truly foolish, Hesiesh would not hesitate to act, but neither would he waste what power was left to him. The stylist’s blows explode outwards in a barrage of strictly linear attacks that allow no motion outside the strike.

The stylist doubles up to (Dexterity) 9's on her damage roll. If the supplemented attack is successful, the target's Parry is lowered by (Essence) until the end of the stylist’s next turn.

Ashen Heart Form
    Cost: 8m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 1
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Form
    Duration: Indefinite
    Perquisite Charms: The Path Walked Alone, Sudden Pyrolysis Kata

Hesiesh was perhaps most renowned for his careful husbanding of power, and as part of their teachings Ashen Heart Stylists learn complicated and intense breathing exercises that allow them to somewhat emulate Ruan Yu’s beloved. It is a parody, but an effective one.

Any time the stylist would gain a level of anima she may instead gain a point of Inner Fire, keeping her anima at its current level. Inner Fire may be spent to gain an automatic success on any roll, or to add one to a static value per point spent in the same manner as Willpower. She may spend multiple points of Inner Fire on the same roll. Spending Inner Fire raises her anima by a number of levels equal to the amount of inner fire spent; she may not gain Inner Fire from these levels. If the stylist is at the Bonfire anima level, she may no longer gain new points of Inner Fire but may continue spending them. She may not have more than (Essence x2) Inner Fire stored at once and any Inner Fire stored is consumed when she leaves Ashen Heart form, raising her anima level appropriately.

Special: This charm may be activated Reflexively any time the stylist would gain a level of anima. That level may be used to gain a point of Inner Fire.

Unexpected Reignition
    Cost: 3m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2
    Keywords: None
    Perquisite Charms: Ashen Heart Form

Embers fade, and the heart forgets only to have some singular sight or sound or smell bring the fire roaring back to life. For Ruan Yu, it was the smell of cinnamon. The stylist expels her reservoir of stored power in a single exhalation, and she is renewed.

This charm may only be used when the stylist is in initiative crash and has at least one point of Inner Fire stored. She consumes her entire store of Inner Fire in a surge of terrible energy, and her initiative resets to base plus the amount of Inner Fire spent.

Hesiesh's Crown
    Cost: -; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Mastery
    Duration: Permanent
    Perquisite Charms: Ashen Heart Form

Hesiesh never wore a crown, never demanded worship or recognition for his mighty deeds. If only his descendents were as humble as he.
    Any attempt to discern the stylist's Essence level fails, and she appears as nothing more than a mortal to even the most discerning eye - until she starts moving.

Mastery: Whenever an attempt is made to discern the Essence level of the stylist, she may choose the results of the attempt.

Flame-Deadened Palms
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2
    Keywords: Perilous
    Duration: Scenelong
    Perquisite Charms: Unexpected Reignition

In pursuit of Hesiesh’s perfection, the stylist’s essence pathways have been expanded and shaped by the fire always flickering away inside her. Her strikes become far more powerful than expected, driven by power straining always against its leash.

The Overwhelming value of the stylist's unarmed strikes increases by the amount of Inner Fire she has stored or according to her anima level, whichever is higher. If her anima is Dim, the value does not increase. If she is at Glowing, it increases by two, at Burning four, and at Bonfire six.

Prana of Purgative Flame
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3
    Keywords: None
    Perquisite Charms: Hesiesh’s Crown

Fire consumes the stylist from the inside out, purging her body of disease even as Hesiesh purged Creation.

The stylist reduces the remaining intervals of any disease or poison affecting her by the amount of Inner Fire consumed by this charm.

The Flames of Destruction
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3
    Keywords: Terrestrial, Mastery
    Duration: Indefinite
    Perquisite Charms: Flame-Deadened Palms

The stylist vents all of his accumulated power in a flare to blind the sun, the very air trembling and breaking apart under the weight of her wrath. The stylist’s anima immediately jumps to the bonfire level. While her anima is at the bonfire level, for every point of Inner Fire consumed by this charm she rolls one die of withering damage against all characters within close range of her (including allies) at the start of each turn. She does not gain initiative from this. Crashed characters and trivial enemies instead suffer one dice of lethal damage per point of Inner Fire. This is in addition to any damage or other effects the stylist’s anima may already cause, and this may affect the scenery if dramatically appropriate.

This charm ends when the stylist’s anima is reduced below the bonfire level.

Terrestrial: While The Flames of Destruction is maintained, the stylists anima flux affects characters with hardness, though hardness may lower or negate the damage done as usual. If the stylist has access to the Mastery effect of this charm, the range increase applies to her anima flux as well.
    Mastery: For every point of Inner Fire consumed by this charm the stylist may additionally increase the range of this effect by one range band.

The Flames of Creation
    Cost: 10m, 2A; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 4
    Keywords: Aggravated, Mastery
    Perquisite Charms: Prana of Purgative Flame, The Flames of Destruction

Hesiesh was not a violent man. He is remembered most for the rush of elemental power that swept over all the fields and the rivers of Creation, but that is not what Ruan Yu remembers him for. Instead she remembers him walking through the aftermath of his war, lending a healing hand wherever he could. Rebuilding what was broken, and correcting Creation’s path.

Laying a palm over her own heart or the heart of another living being, The stylist may heal herself or another living being of a number of levels of bashing or lethal damage equal to the amount of Inner Fire consumed. Additionally, the target of this charm becomes permanently immune to the deleterious effects of the stylist's anima.

Mastery: This charm may heal Aggravated damage.

And that's that. Hi there folks, it's been a while! As usual, I'd love to hear any thoughts or criticism you might have - this is my first style that isn't based on a pre-existing 2E martial art, so I'd especially appreciate any balance concerns out there.

If you're interested, you can also check out my other homebrew MAs here:
    Last edited by pfm1995; 02-07-2019, 09:05 PM.

Can't seem to fix the double-spoiler problem; the tags are being automatically inserted when I post. My apologies.

Comment

I love it! The flavor is is quite good and this style just seems to come out of nowhere!

I am very interested in the opinions of the more crunchy forumites, as I can see adding this style to my games.

How do you envision this style looks? Like what do mortals who use it look like? It’s used by assassins and it’s very concerned with shepherding essence, so is it something like a pressure point style? Any real life styles that would be good for visual comparison?

So when it says Ruan Yu became a Maiden of Creation do you mean she was a Sidereal?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        I love it! The flavor is is quite good and this style just seems to come out of nowhere!

I am very interested in the opinions of the more crunchy forumites, as I can see adding this style to my games.

How do you envision this style looks? Like what do mortals who use it look like? It’s used by assassins and it’s very concerned with shepherding essence, so is it something like a pressure point style? Any real life styles that would be good for visual comparison?

So when it says Ruan Yu became a Maiden of Creation do you mean she was a Sidereal?

Yup, she was a Sidereal, and may still be if you want to use her.

I picture the style as being essentially two extremes - quiet, defensive tranquility while coiled movements build momentum followed by a sudden, explosive, linear onslaught. Baguazhang is a good match for the first bit - see here. The momentum buildup mirrors, and helps prepare for, the essence buildup once you've mastered the form charm.

If you're looking for a pressure point style, you may like my Ill Lily conversion.

Comment

Should these be fire aspected, or have aura abilities? They have a fire theme and reference Hesiesh several times, so it seems thematically appropriate. Plus it would be cool if other martial arts could have the keyword, like Righteous devil style.

Comment

Originally posted by Nabirius View Post
            Should these be fire aspected, or have aura abilities? They have a fire theme and reference Hesiesh several times, so it seems thematically appropriate. Plus it would be cool if other martial arts could have the keyword, like Righteous devil style.
            Yes? I'm afraid I don't have access to any of the Dragonblooded previews; I was a broke college student when the kickstarter happened (the language for The Flames of Destruction was written using a friend's copy). I do plan on updating all of my styles to match once I do have a copy though!

Comment

Ah gotcha, the short version is that Dragonblooded have an aura state to keep track of. When they spend a turn only using charms of a single element they move into that Aura and leave it if they use charms. Charms with the balanced keyword will never disrupt aura. Lastly, some charms have an Aura keyword, which means that they have extra effects if you are in the appropriate Aura or expend an appropriate Aura as part of the charm. An easy version of this would be to allow DB's in Fire Aura access to the mastery keyword, but there are many other ways you could go about it if you so desired.

Comment

Originally posted by Nabirius View Post

I will note that the intent of the Immaculate Dragon Style having Aura as a key word is to reflect unique construction by sidereals to work very well with dragonblooded (and, froma Doylist perspective, give Dragonblooded a leg up in their signature styles). Unless Ashen Heart reflects an equal effort in tailoring, I'd be cautious about it.

The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5 , Vol 6
                Many Limbed Manual
                Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here
                My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

First off, the style is definitely Fire-aspected and should count as such for Aura purposes. I'll add that language in once I know what keywords and such to use.

I'll want to read through the Immaculate styles before saying decisively, but for the moment I think it's fair to give Dragonblooded access to the Mastery effects if they expand their aura as part of the charm - assuming that has no relation to their Anima levels. That said, the kids in the old Trix commercials were jerks - I don't like making cool things and telling players 'No no, these aren't for you." So, Dragonblooded in general and Fire Aspects in particular should have at least some way to access the mastery effects. If that's through just being in Fire Aura then I think I'd be fine with that - again, pending actually reading the Dragonblooded sourcebook.

Comment

So aura has a little bit of a relation to anima, but it's not much, any dragonblooded can enter any aura at any anima level, furthermore, there is always at least 1 charm of each type in each tree. However, when a DB enters bonfire anima they also immediately switch into the corresponding Aura if they aren't already. Some charms have you expend the Aura as a secondary cost, but this doesn't alter your anima level or effects in any way. I don't know if that changes your opinions any.

Comment

Working...
                    X