Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you want to see in Lunars: Fangs at the Gate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want to see in Lunars: Fangs at the Gate?

What do you want to see in Lunars: Fangs at the Gate? In terms of mechanics, thematics, lore, and whatever else interests you, what do you want to get out of Lunars?

Please, be as specific as possible. I think that it could be interesting to compare hopes and expectations to the material and reactions once things start to be released.

As for me: what I want is to be able to rebuild my favorite RPG character, a monkey-totem lunar martial artists (unabashedly inspired by the aesthetics of DBZ). 2E Lunars were mechanically fraught, to be sure, but the combination of DBT (SSJ4 ), Relentless Lunar Fury (and the fury keyword system, which I quite enjoyed), attribute charms, and martial arts was a ton of fun. Obviously, the character would be mechanically quite different in a 3E incarnation, but if I can recapture the feel of how that character worked, I will likely be quite happy overall with Lunars.

(Bonus: if Lunars also doesn't make the Realm seem even more randomly evil and totally ineffectual, I will be impressed as well as happy!)

So, what do you want out of Lunars: Fangs at the Gate?

I want to see lots of canonical Lunar "Half-Castes"; the Moon-Touched. Previous editions have always given Lunar rulers beastmen followers, but have rather shied away from those who also (or only) inherited the less-physical, more-magical gifts of the Lunar Exalted.

I also want to see God-Blooded princes and princesses, born of romantic or political unions with mighty spirits; Elementals, terrestrial gods, stray Celestial gods, demons, Fair Folk, anything.

These magical children would never stand a chance against Dragon-Blooded, but they would more useful agents than mere mortals.

I also want to see a lot more sorcerous workings used on peoples, territories, edifices, and tools passed down among mortals, as Lunar Exalted make use of Terrestrial and Celestial sorcery to bolster the power of their holdings and followers, with none of the Realm’s distrust of the art.

Full Moon kings who never become sorcerers can trade favors across the Silver Pact to acquire the services of Celestial sorcerers.

Halta is cute, with people living in trees with talking animals, but that really seems to be only scratching the surface of the kind of fantasy societies and enchanted environments that Lunars could create which are inimical and resistant to invasion or assimilation by the Realm, Lookshy, or Prasad.

“I have ensorcelled the land to produce bountiful crops, but even if you take it from my people, good luck maintaining the blessing without performing the spiritual rites which would blaspheme your phony religion!”

“Oh, you turned my transformed people against me? Will you still enjoy their loyalty after following the rites of the Immaculate faith robs them of the strength I gave them within a generation?”

Whether by inheritance, Charms, or simply sorcerous workings, the Lunar Exalted will not lack for methods to make their progeny and followers super-human, to varying degrees proportionate to the rarity and importance of the minion.

The question isn’t the how or the why, and all of the most impressive methods won’t be available until at least Essence 3, anyway.

The question is whether or not Third Edition will actually deliver on them, as past Editions never did.

The fact that the core book bothered to tell us more about Yena’s Daughters than directly about Yena Bone-Breaker herself is promising. It showed us that a Lunar’s children can be heroes themselves; political actors who go out, do things, make names for themselves.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Animals:

1) Thunder Lizard (brontosaurus)
      2) Terror Wing (pterodactyl)
      3) Giant Octopus/Squid
      5) Whale
      6) Dolphin
      7) Giant Spider
      8) Mountain Goat

Sorcerous Initiations:

1) Song-casting, spell-singing

2) Seasonal cycles, day/night cycles, lunar cycles, cooperation from two assistants in different stages of life than you (maiden, mother, crone / son, father, grandfather)

3) In the vein of "Pact with an Ifrit Lord", "Mentored by a Forge-God", because maybe I'd like to play League of Legends' Ornn as a Mountain Goat Lunar, and I imagine plenty of Solar players would appreciate an initiation that helps with crafting

Comment

Shapeshifting and animal stuff as a facet of a larger whole rather than the central focus of their powers; ideally mystical ‘outsider’ types, representing what is untamed and unknown rather than animal Exalted. Err, honestly I’m curious to see how the excellency pans out— don’t love the core book version where you can arbitrarily have a solar dice-cap provided you perform cursory stunts. Chiefly because this sort of trivializes stunting and makes it ‘mandatory’ rather than something engaged in chiefly for a more enjoyable game experience. I’m sure the authors will handle it neatly (was impressed by the terrestrial one). Less body horror— I hope than previous editions.

Comment

Well, firstly good mechanics, obviously. But I think everyone's going to say that.

Political factions that actually make sense (probably by being regional rather than about what Lunars should even be doing).
          Mechanics that aren't too complicated.
          Charms that let you do stuff, not just be better at stuff you can already do.
          No Moon charms that are as powerful and interesting as Full Moon and Changing Moon charms.
          A No Moon anima banner that's actually good.
          Casteless mechanically written in a way where the authors recognise that Casteless are often going to be played temporarily before getting a Caste.
          Sorcerous initiations that are nice and bizarre.
          Plenty of Celestial Spells (there's already plenty of Terrestrial spells).
          Moonsilver Tattoos that look unique, rather than the same as every other Lunar's.
          Charms for shamanism. Charms for trickery. Charms for body horror and mutation. Charms that let you lead packs of animals.
          Essence 2+ charms that are in no way copies of Solar charms, let alone underpowered copies. (Essence 1 charms are fine. I've no problem with Lunars using Ox-Body, Monkey Leap and Graceful Crane. As long as they're not weakened versions.)
          Examples of really weird barbarian societies that have been moulded by Lunars. Beastmen, sure, but more than that. It's no good if it's just Frog-person Nexus.
          Lunars actually straight-up ruling really weird barbarian societies.
          Lunar ancients who are obsessed with things that are not Solars.
          A Lunar history section that tells you what they did in the Shogunate, and it's not "they hid in the Wyld."
          Craft charms that are actually fun, not just more dice/craft xp/slots.
          A Silver Pact that is genuinely shocked the Solars have returned, rather than having spent ages acting as if the Solars would soon return.
          Some kind of advantage for practicing an Animal Style rather than other styles.
          An excellency not based on stunting. Or in fact, any charms based on stunting.

I actually expect to get most of these... except the last two. But you can't win them all.
          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 02-07-2019, 06:02 PM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold
            3) Giant Octopus/Squid
            There's already stats for a Kraken.

Which reminds me. I want Lunars to be able to turn into giant versions of their spirit shapes, and it actually be good. And be able to do it y Essence 3.
            You could do it in 2nd ed at Essence 5, but it was, frankly, rubbish. The bonuses you got were small enough that a Tyrant Lizard-sized spider was nowhere near as good as a Tyrant Lizard.

Comment

Artifacts:

Circe's sorcerous shepherd's-crook staff of transforming dudes into animals and bewitching their minds

A 5-dot cauldron which allows a Lunar to brew magical potions and ointments that retain their potency only as long as the Lunar commits the motes but which allows the user to bestow blessings on others through Evocations that Exalted Charms generally can't provide, and serves as a sorcerous means for works of empowerment

A bow that enchants an arrow to continue attacking the original target until it hits, as long as you continue to aim at that target. The better you get with it, the more an arrow can act on its own, like the Signature Air Thrown Charm, Persistent Hornet Attack.

A bow that inspires great terror within anyone who sees you aiming at them (which can be used to effectively interrogate someone you catch with a Hold At Bay situation), which peaks when you shoot at them with a successful withering attack, and which you can use to inspire berserker rage if you score a decisive attack that fails to kill them.

Lightning Torment Hatchets

Gauntlets of Distant Prowess

Ivy Valentine's chain-link whip-sword.

A yoyo where the ball is a robotic spider with a venomous bite, and which can be used as a remote-controlled spy on the end of an ever-extending string.

A shark-tooth sword that regenerates any teeth it loses, and which can behave like a chainsaw (which might be what costs it teeth in the first place).

A grand goremaul that flows as you swing it, leaving behind most of its mass so that your strike is faster and more accurate, with all of the mass catching up after you hit to land the full force of the head, but if you miss the snap-back throws you off balance if you can't recover into another swing at your opponent.

Spider-Man web-Shooters, either as bracelets or part of a whole-body suit which itself allows anyone to cling to walls (because Spider-Manning around becomes a lot more difficult if you can't cling to walls)

Ant-Man's shrinking/growing body-suit.

Death at the Root

A moonsilver version of the Scabbard of the Living Weapon, but with graduated levels of power through Evocations, and not as broken

The Bellerophon reins of Servant Rider (Medusa) from the Fate/Stay Night franchise; bridle, control, and enrage any beast for battle

A shapeshifting robe that becomes any set of clothing you need for any social context or disguise

Armor that works like the Warrior's "Dragon's Body And Scales" from Dragon Marked For Death, which can transform itself and its wearer to shield him and his allies against powerful, area-of-effect attacks, or transform his defense into offense to leave him vulnerable as he winds up for a single powerful strike.

A firewand that works like the Empress' "Dragon's Arms and Fangs", which works like razor claws and transforms for strong bites and fire-breath attacks.

God-Kicking boots that work like the Shinobi's "Dragon's Legs and Wings", which would be particularly dangerous with Swaying Grass Style, Centipede Style, and possibly Falcon Style.

Armor that fuses with you and transforms you to mimic the spell Incomparable Body Armor

Venom symbiote living armor

Comment

I'd like to see themes exploring the range of outsider to monstrosity.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Exalted mobile homes.

Comment

Originally posted by JiveX View Post
                    Shapeshifting and animal stuff as a facet of a larger whole rather than the central focus of their powers; ideally mystical ‘outsider’ types, representing what is untamed and unknown rather than animal Exalted. Err, honestly I’m curious to see how the excellency pans out— don’t love the core book version where you can arbitrarily have a solar dice-cap provided you perform cursory stunts. Chiefly because this sort of trivializes stunting and makes it ‘mandatory’ rather than something engaged in chiefly for a more enjoyable game experience. I’m sure the authors will handle it neatly (was impressed by the terrestrial one). Less body horror— I hope than previous editions.
                    Jive you’re back! Welcome!!

Yeah I am interested in them being more then just shapeshifting animal folks. I would like them to be more the Monsters and sacred beasts prowling the Hinterlands, like witches and wanderers. Sometimes beasts sometimes odd mystical folk hero’s and tricksters.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      There's already stats for a Kraken.

Which reminds me. I want Lunars to be able to turn into giant versions of their spirit shapes, and it actually be good. And be able to do it y Essence 3.
                      You could do it in 2nd ed at Essence 5, but it was, frankly, rubbish. The bonuses you got were small enough that a Tyrant Lizard-sized spider was nowhere near as good as a Tyrant Lizard.
                      IIrc, this was spoiled already. Getting Legendary Size is supposed to be an essence 1 thing, but it costs 4m per turn in combat/4m per hour out of combat, I think. In addition to any activation costs.

Comment

Unison was in Arms already. It could totally become Venom type armor, I think. Not sentient or clingy necessarily, but it sounds like it becomes one with you. Sprouting weapons a la Incomparable Body Armor would also seem legit for it, I think.

I think Circe's Staff will be much easier to build after we see what Lunar charms can do in regards to turning people into animals, whether or not it is in the book.
                        Last edited by BrilliantRain; 02-08-2019, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

IIrc, this was spoiled already. Getting Legendary Size is supposed to be an essence 1 thing, but it costs 4m per turn in combat/4m per hour out of combat, I think. In addition to any activation costs.
                          Nah, that's being able to tutn into Legendary Size creatures, like siege lizards and mammoths.

I'm talking about being able to turn into a Legendary Size version of your sprit shape, and for its stats to rival mammoths, etc.

Comment

Rules and especially charms that let me play a terrifying shape-stealing monster Exalt with the power that implies. I want to play Lunars and feel like they are badass, powerful, and to understand why the Realm fears them so much. Not just feel like I'm playing "weaker solars".
                            I would also love to see how Lunars handle social influence different that Solars and DB's.

Oh, and I don't want every Lunar to be intimidating. But I want them to wield power that strikes fear in the hearts of an empire of ten-thousand dragon-blooded.

Comment

Consistency with the previews?

Something emotionally resonant enough to make me cry a bit would be a plus. Especially if it's in an Artifact (I swear, that Cathak family sword).

I would be interested in seeing a character written up in a manner that completely shatters the previously designed image that I've long been attached to, which I end up liking better.

EDIT: Really, the most important thing I want to see is something I don't know that I want until I see it.
                              Last edited by Isator Levi; 02-08-2019, 03:57 AM.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                              X