No announcement yet.

Roles and casts in Lunar/Solar couples.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roles and casts in Lunar/Solar couples.

Just had an ague with a frIend about S/L couples and how Solars and Lunars supposed to mutch each other. I always thought that the couple must include Exalted with different casts and roles (e.g., Full Moon bodygard for Zenith preast-king or Half-moon adventurer and Twilight mage as his quest-giver). My friend thinks that couples should be more close in terms of area of expertise. We even compare them to super-heroes: I see as for example, Lunar-Alfred to Solar-Bats, while he insists that they should be more like Cap/Winter Solder. Who's right?

Since a lunar's caste can change between incarnations a given solar/lunar pair could fluctuate between matching and being wildly different.

Comment

Yeah, their doesn't really need to be any consistency. That'd be too limiting for character concepts.

Plus, at least 1 (possibly 3) of the current Lunar Castes literally did not exist in the First Age, so they couldn't be the same caste anyway.

In the game I ran:
      Dupree is a Twilight craftsman and doctor; his mate was Babar, a debauched Elephant-totem Full Moon heretical monk necromancer with 15 nun-wives who beat up tyrants with a wrackstaff made (by Dupree) of Chejop Kejak's ghost.
      Their previous incarnations were:
      Kerosh Wonder-Maker was a Twilight crafstman and doctor; his mater was Owl-Over-Moon, a curious Owl-totem No Moon sorcerer who ruled the Djala and did experiments on them to improve them genetically.

Brasidas was a Dawn caste mercenary warlord; his mate is Timid Silk Blossom, a once-gentle but now-hardened rabbit-totem beauty.
      Their previous incarnations were:
      Righteous Lion was general of the Deliberative's southern army; his mate was the Dread Wolf, a savage but honourable warrior.

Captain/Winter Soldier probably isn't a bad example for a Solar/Lunar actually.
      Captain America was an honourable leader, and Bucky Barnes was his good-hearted sidekick.
      Now Captain America is an honourable leader, the Winter Soldier is an assassin who does whatever it takes. But the bond is still there.

For Batman, maybe it's Batman/Batgirl.
      When Batgirl became Oracle, obviously she was very different. But they still had the bond.

Although, obviously Batman is the Lunar (can you guess his totem?) and Alfred is the Solar.
      Once, Alfred was the elder protector, while Bruce was an angry and tortured rich kid.
      Now Alfred is the older mentor, while Bruce is an infamous genius vigilante.

But this isn't really about whether they are similar or different to each other.
      Solars tend to be similar to their previous incarnation, while Lunars change a lot more between incarnatins, because mutability is the nature of the Lunars.

Of course, that's all genre-wise.

In terms of actual fluff, I imagine when the 300(ish) Solars first paired up with 300(ish) Lunars after the war, they decided on who to bond with based on personal relations, which themselves can be due to similarity or difference. They bonded with the person they thought they'd best get on with, not who'd either complement or support their power set.
      You know, some people marry people very similar to them, others marry those who are very different. And most marriages actually are between two people who are similar in some ways, and different in others.

My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
      Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        In terms of actual fluff, I imagine when the 300(ish) Solars first paired up with 300(ish) Lunars after the war, they decided on who to bond with based on personal relations, which themselves can be due to similarity or difference.
        Now I'm thinking of it being appropriately mythic for the original pairings to have been chosen by casting lots.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

That is also quite plausible.

My characters:
          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
          Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

The relationship progression in Memories of the Sword is the level of fantastic romance to which I aspire but doubt to ever reach. Add reincarnation to that, of course.

I think you're doing it right, if you can have a character discover the one person in all of Creation or beyond, who seems to be the center of their gravity. As partners, lovers, antagonists, a dynamic duo, or corners of a tragic love triangle.

Oh! Thought of this right before I hit Post... Something like that modern superhero remix movie would be an interesting twist. I forget the name, but it was the one where the heroes are drawn to each other, but become weaker and more defenseless in each others' presence. Choose your empire as a lonely living god or choose your love as a mortal.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Now I'm thinking of it being appropriately mythic for the original pairings to have been chosen by casting lots.
              "But I hate Ivanu Mother-of-All-Deaths! She tried to stab me in the eye like ten times in the war!"

"Suck it up buttercup, you drew her number. Now get in the ritual circle and make nice. This will take like ten hours."

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post

Oh! Thought of this right before I hit Post... Something like that modern superhero remix movie would be an interesting twist. I forget the name, but it was the one where the heroes are drawn to each other, but become weaker and more defenseless in each others' presence. Choose your empire as a lonely living god or choose your love as a mortal.
                Hancock. With Will Smith in, yeah?

Comment

Neither of you is “right.” There are no solid rules. Nor should there be.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post

Hancock. With Will Smith in, yeah?
                    That's the one!

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

I realised I made a terrible mistake.

Alfred isn't Batman's Solar Mate. It's obviously Robin.
                      And the next Robin.
                      And the next.
                      And the next.

My characters:

Comment

I realised I made a terrible mistake.

Alfred isn't Batman's Solar Mate. It's obviously Robin.
                        And the next Robin.
                        And the next.
                        And the next.
                        Every single one of the Robins has been alive at the same time.

One of them died, but he got over that after a while.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Eh, once they get replaced they're no longer really Robin.

(I think several have died and got better. And... I think maybe one is currently dead? It changes so often it's hard to keep track.)

My characters:

Comment

Eh, once they get replaced they're no longer really Robin.
                            They're still members of the Bat Family, and have frequently served alongside one another. It makes them a poor analogy for a continuous relationship with a reincarnating person.

Besides, phrasing it as you did insinuates that Batman keeps callously recruiting teenaged sidekicks as they continuously die, and by smokes I take exception to that!

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz
                            (I think several have died and got better. And... I think maybe one is currently dead? It changes so often it's hard to keep track.)
                            I'll admit, I haven't read Wikipedia articles about these things very much since about five years ago (which I think was maybe two continuities ago), but I know of five Robins: Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Damien Wayne.

As far as I know, Todd is the only one who definitively died and came back to life, at least in the function of serving as Robin (maybe Nightwing has had some shenanigans, I don't know). Stephanie Brown's tenure as Robin was short, but lots of people didn't like the way she was killed off, so it was eventually retconned that her death was faked, with her ultimately coming back to assume the mantle of Batgirl.

Sure, non-diegetically, in-character resurrection and out-of-character "was never really dead" serve the same purpose, but this is about comparing narratives, and also, the Animated series made me like Dr. Leslie enough to happily accept any backtracking away from her permitting a wounded teenager to die to teach Batman a lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                              I know of five Robins: Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Damien Wayne.
                              Don't forget about Batman himself. After the death of his parents but before he took up bat-imagery, he made the Robin costume for himself, so he could learn the ropes of detective work from Harvey Harris, helping him with a case without being recognized as Bruce Wayne.
                              Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 02-08-2019, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X