Speculating on God-Blooded Exalts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculating on God-Blooded Exalts

Had a bit of a brainstorm on how I'd handle God-Blooded Exalts, and similarly divine inheritances.

Rareified Inheritance (••• to •••••) — Innate
    The character descends from a potent supernatural being, and can draw upon that heritage in myriad ways.

Characters with this Merit may purchase Evocations, representing the influence of their parentage. In general, more potent supernatural lineages and closer relations will allow access to more powerful Evocations, but such things are not certain; most God-Blooded children have nothing more than a wispy trace of the divine made manifest in them, while others may suddenly come into a blood of power they never knew from a long distant ancestor.

Mortals with this merit gain a personal mote pool of 10 motes, and are treated as having Essence 1 for the purpose of any Evocations making use of her Essence. Exalts and other characters who naturally have Essence do not gain this benefit.

What about the Golden Children, the Moon-Touched, and the Star-Kissed?

The power of Celestial Exaltation is generally too potent to be transferred through the blood. Even so, the children of the Solars, Lunars, and Sidereals often bear clear marks of their heritage, and a small number inherit a small measure of their parents power.

A tinkering effort at bringing Raksha into Ex3: Fair Folk: The Beautiful Thieves

A tinkering effort at bringing fate ninjas into Ex3: Sidereals: Where Fate Has Led - Album of the Charm Trees thereof.

You don't need to treat mortals as having essence 1. They really do have it.

Comment

Well, i did think of about the same thing - using the artifact & evocations system to portray god-blooded Inheritance as a whole, a few years ago.
      Kind of a natural step for one to house rule things into when one thinks of the "background/merit parity" and such stuff, i guess.

It also lead me to the idea of keeping the heritages separate, unlike in previous editions, much like artifacts don't (usually, inadvertently) gel into one super-artifact just because.

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
      You don't need to treat mortals as having essence 1. They really do have it.
      I think the OP's point is focused more on the matter of being able to channel essence in artifact use, much like an Ess 1 exalt/spirit/etc, but unlike your run-of-the-mill mortal.
      Last edited by Baaldam; 02-09-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

For God-Blooded Exalted, what about something like...say, a Merit (call it Divine Inheritance or something) that allows the Exalt the potential to learn up to one spirit Charm per dot? (Only for Charms appropriate to their divine parent, and they would still have to spend XP or starting Charm picks on the actual Charms.)

Probably it would allow the Exalt to learn powers and traits on par with what a Solar might have learned by devouring their divine parent with Carnal Spirit Rending. (If someone wants to learn "greater miracles" as referenced in Divine Mantle, it should probably cost more than one dot each, if you'd allow that for a God-Blood at all. I'm not sure I would.)

I don't know if this is really balanced. I'm pretty sure any effect that allows the Exalted to learn spirit powers is going to require a lot of case-by-case balancing, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by wastevens View Post
          Characters with this Merit may purchase Evocations, representing the influence of their parentage.

In general, more potent supernatural lineages and closer relations will allow access to more powerful Evocations, but such things are not certain; most God-Blooded children have nothing more than a wispy trace of the divine made manifest in them, while others may suddenly come into a blood of power they never knew from a long distant ancestor.
          That... is an incredible idea in its simplicity, its scope, and its versatility while also not being something that can be wildly too powerful.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

We might need to add rules for getting essence higher than one, mind you, cos one of the canon godblooded is essence 3.

Comment

While I think yours is elegant in its simplicity, but apparently we will be getting some official rules here soon:

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              God-blooded Exalted will be discussed in Heirs to the Shogunate — a bit earlier than we'd expected, but between Ledaal Kebok Coren and Clan Akatha, we just had to.

We're planning to address god-blooded more generally in future books.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-devs/page1035
              Last edited by Snakesandsuns; 02-09-2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Feel up to statting up an example of one of these to sort of better feel around how it would work in practice? Grab a sig Godblooded DB or something?

Comment

One issue that came up in 2e was that, if you create a merit that increases the general power level of a character, it becomes a “must buy” and distorts the game. Defining Rarified Inheritance as a trait that god blooded just get at a specific rating, depending on desired power level, rather than something they buy with merit dots would be less prone to abuse.

Like, I think it would work fine as a merit for an Exalt, because it’s basically a reskin of the Artifact merit. However, if you have a group of God Blooded PCs, having this as a merit they have to buy is either a tax to soak up their merit dots or a trap they can accidentally fall into. Either way, if they don’t all buy the same level, you can end up with characters who have vastly different amounts of power, which is problematic if not done on purpose.
                  Last edited by BrilliantRain; 02-09-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

The most balanced way to do a Solar (or, possibly, Lunar) Godblood with spirit charms is to play an Eclipse and take some Eclipse-okay spirit charms at character gen, representing your heritage.

You already know the powers are balanced yet iconic.

Of course, that's not much good if you're a Zenith or a Fire Aspect.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      The most balanced way to do a Solar (or, possibly, Lunar) Godblood with spirit charms is to play an Eclipse and take some Eclipse-okay spirit charms at character gen, representing your heritage.

You already know the powers are balanced yet iconic.

Of course, that's not much good if you're a Zenith or a Fire Aspect.
                      You could always take Divine Mantle with a Principle of "I want to be just like my dad!" Then you're not limited to Eclipse-okay Charms (or to being an Eclipse).

...I'm really surprised the writers went to the trouble of marking appropriate spirit Charms as Eclipse-okay, and then added Charms by which Solars could get access to other spirit Charms anyway.

Comment

Well, it's not exactly like they are easy to pick up, plus the ST still has to approve them for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                          We might need to add rules for getting essence higher than one, mind you, cos one of the canon godblooded is essence 3.

Which character is that?

A tinkering effort at bringing Raksha into Ex3: Fair Folk: The Beautiful Thieves

A tinkering effort at bringing fate ninjas into Ex3: Sidereals: Where Fate Has Led - Album of the Charm Trees thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
                            Feel up to statting up an example of one of these to sort of better feel around how it would work in practice? Grab a sig Godblooded DB or something?
                            I'll try and put together a stab (heh) at Ledaal Kebok Coren using Stormcaller- plus, I hadn't thought about how Resonant/Dissonant concepts would work within this framework. Gonna take a think.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                              One issue that came up in 2e was that, if you create a merit that increases the general power level of a character, it becomes a “must buy” and distorts the game. Defining Rarified Inheritance as a trait that god blooded just get at a specific rating, depending on desired power level, rather than something they buy with merit dots would be less prone to abuse.

Like, I think it would work fine as a merit for an Exalt, because it’s basically a reskin of the Artifact merit. However, if you have a group of God Blooded PCs, having this as a merit they have to buy is either a tax to soak up their merit dots or a trap they can accidentally fall into. Either way, if they don’t all buy the same level, you can end up with characters who have vastly different amounts of power, which is problematic if not done on purpose.
                              True; on the other hand, because the Essence and motes don't increase with more merit dots (only the potential power of the evocations), it's less impactful than Inheritance aka the Background That Keeps Giving (more backgrounds).

And I'm more interested in finding a solution for Exalted godblooded that can also work as a way to stat up NPCs.

Comment

Working...
                              X