Gen:Lock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, the new episode dropped, and:

Union General: I just remembered why we started this war!

Union Aide: You do?

Union General: We have a critical supply shortage of fucks and chill! SMASH EVERYTHING!

So, apparently our Chase is the clone, too. That's actually rather cool. I'm having Cheery SOMA vibes.

As for the Union, they increasingly seem like a good inspiration for Authocthonian invaders. Methodical, ruthless, advanced, masters of magic that exchanges glory for reliability (albeit with large flaws) and always adapting to the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

Union General: We have a critical supply shortage of fucks and chill! SMASH EVERYTHING!

So, apparently our Chase is the clone, too. That's actually rather cool. I'm having Cheery SOMA vibes.

As for the Union, they increasingly seem like a good inspiration for Authocthonian invaders. Methodical, ruthless, advanced, masters of magic that exchanges glory for reliability (albeit with large flaws) and always adapting to the circumstances.
      And they're taking everything to shit just how I like it. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Comment

Yeah Nemesis or whatever they're calling the multiarmed thing is definitely something with Gremlin Syndrome.
        The start of the episode confused me, since I couldn't make out much of what Nemesis said or really make out its voice, so the whole thing complaining about it seeming so much like Chase at the begining didn't really make sense to me. Particularly since I didn't really see that thing as fighting much like we've seen Chase fight, aside from being good at it. My assumption had actually just been an amalgamation of a bunch of people the Union had tried use to make their own of the Holons, or what happens if someone's outside the body too long.

Lioness When did they name the multiarmed zombie mech thing Nemesis?

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
          Yeah Nemesis or whatever they're calling the multiarmed thing is definitely something with Gremlin Syndrome.
          The start of the episode confused me, since I couldn't make out much of what Nemesis said or really make out its voice, so the whole thing complaining about it seeming so much like Chase at the begining didn't really make sense to me. Particularly since I didn't really see that thing as fighting much like we've seen Chase fight, aside from being good at it. My assumption had actually just been an amalgamation of a bunch of people the Union had tried use to make their own of the Holons, or what happens if someone's outside the body too long.

Lioness When did they name the multiarmed zombie mech thing Nemesis?
          I think it was shown on some concept art in the credits after episode 4.

But yeah, that episode 6, huh.

I suppose that's one way to not have to pay Tennant's fees next season.

The question is how many died in that attack. I believe that Dr. Weller is gone (he did say he had a plan, but I'm not sure that wasn't just talk to get the team going and not worry about him). The rest is a classic case of "they didn't show them dead". While the nanobots drenched the facility, they have countermeasures for that. I think most of our named cast probably will return; certainly Miranda, probably Jodie and Leon.

I'm a bit surprised they went own so easily, though. Wasn't this outpost supposed to be the strongest hold the Vanguard had? That's why Gen:Lock was located there? The Union might not have won, per se, but neither did the Vanguard.

I'm slightly disappointed we don't get more time on base. I liked the potential for developing the Chase-Miranda-Jodie triangle drama. I also really wanted to see Chase's condition explored more; I mean, what does not having a body do to your personality? A lot of out selves are tied to our bodies, and I'm still hoping the show will delve into that a bit. It also probably means the Gen:Lock tech will not be further developed, at least not in the near future. I was really thinking Miranda might be able to get in on the action.

Oh, just struck me: what about the spare Holon in the hangar? I'm not sure how the Union operates, but they might be willing to toss people at it until someone clicks.
          Last edited by Weimann; 02-24-2019, 02:23 PM.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post

I put subtitles on whenever Nemesis is on screen. It really helps when dealing with the glitches in Nemesis Chase's speech.

Comment

Episode 7 dropped:

Holy crap, they made Weller's death stick. I was not expecting that. Say hi to Caliban, the Doctor's dorky robot son, everyone!

Also, good way to show why you don't taunt your non-captive enemies over telepathy, Nemesis.
              Last edited by Leliel; 03-02-2019, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Episode 7 dropped:

Holy crap, they made Weller's death stick. I was not expecting that. Say high to Caliban, the Doctor's dorky robot son, everyone!

Also, good way to show why you don't taunt your non-captive enemies over telepathy, Nemesis.
                A necessary breather though. Season will probably end with Nemesis.

No surprise Weller's death stuck though. Remember: he tried to clone himself. As in, he failed.

Also, more tasty transhumanism! Memories, cognitive and motor, mixing up!

Comment

So, if Gen:Lock is an artifact separate from the Warstriders, as I suggested, then the ability to clone uploaded minds is either a now-forbidden Evocation of the Gen:Lock artifact, or a separate artifact that Sorcerer-Engineer Weller de-commissioned.

It definitely plays into how the Gen:Lock artifact plays with the advantages and disadvantages of being a Warstrider pilot. Your Warstrider can be destroyed or even captured, and the mind inside will shortly become incapable of returning to the body, but as long as you still have the body, you can upload the cloned mind to get something like the original character.

There is the additional wrinkle of Exaltation. For a Dragon-Blood, whose Exaltation arises from the body to begin with and is already capable of multiplication, there shouldn't be a problem.

For Celestial Exalted, it stands to reason that the original mind is the one that keeps the Exaltation, else no Celestial Exalt would want to use the Gen:Lock artifact.

I suppose that exceeding Uptime could effectively result in the "death" of the Celestial Exalted, costing them their Exaltation and turning them into a ghost with new Warstrider Evocations based on being a ghost that retains some of their former Exalted abilities.

Upon such a "death", their Exaltation immediately transfers to one of any cloned minds that might exist. Sort of a "Ayanami Rei" situation, where a number of physical clones floated around in stasis because they only had one soul to pass around.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Wow, how about that season finale then?

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                      Wow, how about that season finale then?
                      I liked it.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

I've not managed to catch it yet. Gonna watch it tonight.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Yeah, that was a pretty good season finale!

I really liked the way they made the combat have weight and importance. The fight wasn't particularly well coreographed (in fact, the lengthy mind-discussions kind of broke up the action a bit too long; even if they're supposed to be instant, the pace got messed up), but it had meaning as a struggle over Chase's identity. I liked how both sides suffer damage: Nemesis lost, of course, but Chase's hero complex made him exceed uptime and lose the remains of his body. It makes it feel like the show has stakes, and sets up a nice new status quo for next season. I'm also liking it because I was really hoping that the show would delve into what it's like to live without a body, and it seems we're going there.

While I was watching it, I remember thinking that combining minds of power-ups, but limiting active time and affecting the memories and personalities of those involved seems like a pretty neat RPG mechanic.What might the odds be that Rooster Teeth signs off on an RPG adaptation?

Also, some thoughts about the season as a whole.

In one way, this has been a tight season. They've really managed to establish and sell the main characters, and they've already gotten quite a bit of development in a way that, at least in my opinion, doesn't feel forced. Often, the characters are the most important part of a show, and I think it was wise that they focused on them. There's been a sense of tempo, each episoide has been self-contained while still progressing the season narrative. I'll take eight-episode seasons if they're this well-planned.

That said, they really do need to get into the world building. In particular, of course, the Union. Beyond their presentation assuring us that they're Very Evil, we know next to nothing about them, not even what their actual goal or motivation for their conquest is. They have to get into that next season, I think, or the world will feel hollow.

Also, there are some inconsistencies I'd like to see addressed. For example, in episode three, the Col. Marin told Dr. Weller that they expected the Union to have pushed the Polity out of North America in six months. But what was that estimation based on? We know that the Union MO is slow and creeping expansion, and judging by how far they got in the four years since their attack on New York, I'm not sure what motivates that analysis. Did they know about Nemesis? Or do they have other information? I'm hoping we get an explanation.

Overall, I'm hopeful for the next season.

Comment

Working...
                          X