No announcement yet.

Isator Levi reads Lunars: Fangs at the Gate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running through to the finale. Some more stuff for interacting with animals is next, something that I did start noting the absence of a while back. It’ll be interesting to see the extent of Animal Ken.

It begins with the Permanent Charm Pack Instinct Affirmation. That a Lunar walks the line between human and animal gives them an inherent affinity, causing animals to feel an instinctive loyalty that functions as equivalent to a Minor Tie, and ensures that Exalt doesn’t get penalty to influence rolls made for targeting several at once, nor is their Resolve improved for lacking common language, although animals with the pre-existing loyalty of the familiar bond won’t feel such an impulse, and magically enhanced creatures are apparently too dissimilar for it. It’s a Wits 1 Charm, but with Wits 3, it also allows a Lunar to spend Willpower in an animal shape to ensure that animals of the same kind feel the loyalty as a Major Tie for the scene, with the exception of narratively significant animals that have some reason to be distracted or have overriding impulses, such as hunger, mood-influencing disease or the draw of a spirit. It’s an interesting thing to start out with and make so basic that every Lunar could purchase it; the image that no matter where they are, the local animals feel a positive inclination, as well as being open to being convinced to help out the Lunar to the extent they plausibly can and doesn’t risk them much. I imagine a big thing it’s helpful for is wilderness survival without having to be bothered by predators or pest insects that might be a distraction or inconvenience.

I had been wondering if animal riding would be an element that Lunars would get power for, and Quicksilver Steen Unity answers that question handily, conveying an idea of a shared instinct between rider and steed. It’s an Instant Charm that provides a choice of three effects to apply at each activation: reflexively making a defend other action to protect a steed, reflexively making a distract gambit that the steed will benefit from (which doesn’t use up attack action but is only permitted once per turn), and allows the value of a positive Tie for the mount to be added to the difficulty of gambits to knock the rider off. As an alternative, the Lunar in the shape of a riding animal who is being mounted can use the Charm to make defend other or distract actions for the benefit for the benefit of that person, and make it more difficult for that rider to be knocked off. It’s a fun idea, that a Lunar can have equal facility for the role of rider and mount, applying the experience of one to benefiting action of the other. It certainly makes the flavour text of shared instincts feel very literal; I have a picture of a Lunar assuring their horse that they know first hand what it’s in for.

Start getting something to enhance their own familiars, as Guardian Fang Rebuke allows that animal to make a decisive counterattack in response to an enemy attacking a Lunar, which either uses up the familiar’s action for the round, or uses up the next round’s action early if they’ve already done something. It has an Initiative cost, but if the Lunar has assumed the shape of their familiar’s type of animal, that cost can be taken from the familiar’s rating (although before they get to roll for damage), which gives an interesting image of how the Lunar might fight in tandem with a closely bonded animal (especially if it’s something that already functions in a pack).

Gets into Essence 2 already, with Blessed Moon-Beast Empowerment. It’s an Instant Charm with a cost in motes, Willpower and one experience point to imbue a familiar with additional powers, one each time the Charm is applied: it can extend the Lunar’s tattoos to the animal, conferring the same protections and being able to hide them when the Lunar hides their own, the familiar becomes capable of undergoing the sacred hunt on the Lunar’s behalf, granting the Exalt the shape for the familiar’s kills (which has to be immensely useful for gathering the shapes of Tiny and Miniscule animals without having to go out of one’s way to hunt such insignificant creatures that a bird or cat will happily take care of), allows the animal to also be a subject of reverence for other animals in a similar manner to the first Charm (with the virtual Major Tie coming from one’s own species), or immediately forming a Defining Tie of loyalty for their master which makes any influence from any source besides the Exalt to act against it unacceptable. It says that the experience cost is waived the first time the Charm is used, but* I’m not sure if it means it’s only the very first time or the first use on any given familiar. In any case, familiars with experience invested in their development that die lead to those points being refunded. These are some very neat ways to represent an affinity between an animalistic shapeshifter and an animal companion, particularly for those parts that make the animal feel as though it can be something of an extension of the Lunar.

Beast-Power Awakening is a Reflexive Charm with no cost that allows a Lunar to use the familiar as a source for Essence to be fed back into empowering it; once a day when in short range of the animal, Wits + Presence, Ride, Survival or War can be rolled, with Essence in auto successes, which reaps a pool of motes for each success that persist for the scene that can be spent on Charms targeting the familiar or its own magical abilities. I wonder… yes, Solars have a similar ability, but their case is actually much more limited, as it requires one of their own Charms to imbue the capacity to draw motes into a familiar, and can only take up to five motes (albeit without need of a dice roll, and the use of the motes isn’t limited). Interesting to see a case in which a Lunar’s animalistic affinity allows a more ready and deeper tap into the energy of a familiar.

Chimeric Beast Companion is another Attribute Charm with a universal prerequisite, as this follows on and permanently enhances Perfected Hybrid Interaction, allowing it to apply mutations to a blessed familiar within medium range, not even needing to pay for them if the Lunar is themselves currently wearing those mutations through the Charm. Moon’s Hidden Face can also be used to hide those mutations on the familiar. It’s both tactically beneficial, and feels like a cute reference to the idea of pets looking like their owners.

Nature-Reinforcing Allocation allows a Lunar to greatly improve training an animal’s latent abilities or Merits, with invocation allowing the training to be made with specialty and in just a week, with double 8s on the training roll for teaching any latent ability that the Lunar knows themselves (a really fun idea of how turning into animals can allow Lunars to relate). At Essence 3, the Charm allows training of magical abilities at a cost of two xp a pop (also refunded if the beneficiary dies) for those that have received a Moon-Beast enhancement. The Charm has a Protean benefit in which spending the whole training period in the same shape as the familiar waives its Willpower cost (further adding fun to the idea of a special affinity between them, and the idea of teaching through personal demonstration; feels very Sword in the Stone to me, which was one of my favourite movies in childhood).

Erudite Beast-Mind Expansion is an enhancement to the prior Charm, allowing it to confer an alternative benefit on a Moon-Beast enhanced animal for a four xp surcharge; granting it a human-level intelligence and capacity for higher level complex and abstract thought, and understanding of any languages the Lunar knows (and even speaking them, if its anatomy would allow for such a thing; got to have some very talkative parrots), and even some decent dice pools for diagnosing ailment, investigation, reading intentions and strategic activity, as well as improved Willpower, Resolve and Guile. It can also be applied to familiars that might already be so intelligent, providing an extra die for pools for Intelligence-based actions and anything they could do beyond the animal’s natural faculties, up to a limit of 14 dice for any given pool, and still get the Will, Resolve and Guile bonuses. Like before, the first time it’s used the xp cost is waived (making me think the prior Charm is indeed only for the very first time it’s used), and the costs are refunded if the familiar is lost. It’s nice to think about the improved levels of companionship a Lunar might get from a familiar (as well as some special tactical uses, such as sending as a spy or scout), although the thing that intrigues me the most is granting a Strategy pool; my mind goes straight to the image of a vanguard army being led by a Lunar’s associated tiger or something (I’m assuming it could communicate orders through writing with claws).

Eternal Companion Endurance then helps them out by giving a familiar two -2 and one -4 health levels, which can be purchased up to Essence times for each familiar.

Now at Essence 3, with Instinctive Unity Approach, allowing a form of instantaneous spiritual communication between Lunar and familiar, in the form of letting the Lunar enhance the familiars dice actions at a cost of 2 motes to start, and one Initiative per added die, up to a limit of the Lunar’s Essence (which are non-Charm dice, for whatever that matters), as well as being able to improve static values up to half the Lunar’s Essence at a cost of 2 Initiative per added point. The concept of enhancement for a familiar from the Lunar is interesting, but I do think it’s a pity that it’s limited to combat situations. Still, at least it gets a Protean benefit of the Lunar who grants the enhancement while in a kin shape adding a free success or +1 to pool or value respectively.
    Watchful Hound Vigilance helps a Lunar and their familiar to be in synch when in dangerous situations, as when they both make a Join Battle or roll to detect concealed threats, they both get the benefit of whichever one rolled higher, and if both of them win Join Battle, the familiar gets to make a decisive attack on their first turn that won’t reset to base. I like the sense this conveys of being on the same wavelength in battle, or the image of the Lunar following the cue of their familiar’s alert response. Hmm, the Charm has the Protean keyword, but that’s either in error or a benefit has been inadvertently omitted.

Heh, and a familiar apparently gets to act as an even more fierce battle companion, with Throat-Ripping Guardian to allow a familiar to reflexively clash an attack directed at the Lunar with a decisive attack of their own, so long as they’re within range of the attacker (with that same condition from earlier on as taking either this rounds or next round’s action). If the familiar loses, the attacker gets the option to target the attack at the animal instead of the Lunar. If the Lunar is in the same shape at the time, they get to apply a bonus from Instinctive Unity Approach without needing to pay Initiative for it, which seems like a pretty good way to ensure the animal wins, and makes bringing a familiar to combat feel like a good choice all around; I’m picturing a Lunar in battle with a Wyld Hunt, each of whose members keeps being shadowed by a bonded animal (especially something small and stealthy, like a rabbit). Hmm, I need to check back on how quickly some of those Universal Charms allow a Lunar to shift shape…

Unleashed Primal Fury serves as a Permanent enhancement to the prior Charm and Guardian Fang Rebuke, allowing a surcharge to be paid to let the Lunar add their own Initiative to that of the familiar when it makes the decisive attacks enabled by those Charms. That comes at the cost of success resetting the Lunar to base as well (although if both are the same shape, their base Initiatives go up by one), and losing the same amount of Initiative if the attack fails, although it also means that the attacks don’t count as the familiar’s action for the term. I will note a contradiction in some of what is written here; the Charm cost lists the surcharge as being for three motes, while the Charm’s text says it’s only one; considering the potential for letting a familiar roll huge amounts of damage, I feel as though the larger cost is more fitting.

Twin Beasts Dancing provides an additional upgrade to the Charms: for Guardian Fang Rebuke, allowing a Willpower surcharge to be paid for the Charm to allow the Lunar to employ a Charm with the Clash keyword in tandem with the familiar’s counterattack, or for Throat-Ripping Guardians to allow a Counterattack Charm to match the familiar’s clash. The latter one also allows the Lunar to enhance the familiar’s attack with Unleashed Primal Fury without needing to reset their own Initiative. When in the familiar’s shape, the Lunar gets a once per scene bonus to waive the Willpower surcharge for the power. This is a really nice-looking idea for the familiar bond allowing a unique form of coordination, and I quite like the image of an enemy being kept off balance by a barrage of attacks from the Lunar and their mirror image familiar. A lot of these doing a lot to further that image of the familiar being able to function as an extension of the Lunar, a bit different from the Solar in role of beastmaster I think.

And last at Essence 3 is Locust-and-Tyrant Menagerie, allowing the Lunar who knows Mountainous Spirit Expression and/or Tyrant Mouse Dominion to reflexively apply those Charms on a familiar blessed with Moon-Beast while within medium range of them. The applications of this one are probably pretty multifarious, although the image that comes straight to my mind from the flavour text is the Lunar keeping a tyrant lizard concealed in a pocket, that then gets thrown at an unsuspecting group of enemies before the commitment is released, unleashing hell on them.

Essence 4 then provides Supreme God-Beast Unleashed, costing ten motes, one Willpower and three levels of anima, to allow the Lunar to pour their own transformative Essence into the Moon-Beast familiar and greatly enhancing its power: the animal is granted Lunar’s Essence in auto-successes to withering attacks and an Overwhelming value, the same value in dice for decisive attacks that double 10s on their damage, add it to their base Initiative and soak, get +1 to Defence and a Hardness of 10, gives a further +1 Defence and +5 soak to a familiar with Tiny or lower size and enable them to make withering and grapple attacks unimpeded, creates immunity to fear, and reduces the cost of Guardian Fang Rebuke, Instinctive Unity Approach and Throat-Ripping Guardian, as well as magical animal abilities by two motes. It ends on a familiar that is clashed, and it’s per scene limit requires a familiar (apparently not necessarily the enhanced one) to incapacitate an enemy. Seems like a good all-around improvement to a creature’s ferocity and coordination with the Lunar, but the one I like the most is the increase deadliness given to a Tiny or Miniscule familiar; heh, I’m remembering some of my reactions to Solar Charms, picturing a hummingbird that might flit around slashing and stabbing an enemy... although know it’s being supplemented by the picture of a Lunar who opens their hand to reveal a tarantula or smaller spider, giving it a kiss and whispering as they lay it on the ground, to go harass an opponent’s ankles.

Last at Essence 5 is Witch-Beast Ascendancy, which unusually has Intelligence 4 as one of its minimums and Celestial Circle Sorcery as a prerequisite. Oh shit, a Lunar can initiate a familiar uplifted to human intelligence into Terrestrial Circle Sorcery! Don’t think Solars are ever going to figure out that trick. The animal gets an 8-die pool for sorcery, which can be further raised with Erudite Beast-Mind Expansion, and can teach it spells with Nature-Reinforcing Allocation like they were magical abilities. The Lunar is on the hook for the xp costs of any workings the animal performs, so might be good not to give it to one too ambitious. The Charm can be purchased repeatedly for initiating any number of familiars, with its own cost refunded should the animal die. The implication of this one are just massive; never mind the degree to which such a being can provide assistance in close quarters or at a distance for the Lunar (I’m particularly imagining that one of Raksi’s secrets is a menagerie of animals as sorcerous assistants), the big one that stands out to me is the degree of self-determination this could give a familiar. I’m picturing things like a horse that gives itself shining wings and the ability to speak, going around shooting iridescent flames and fighting for equine freedom, or the aforementioned tarantula who summons demons or elementals to luxuriantly carry it around on a comfy pillow. Yeah, somewhere out there, I want there to be a Dominion in which the Lunar has their familiars as their lieutenants and governors, several of which take great pleasure in having visiting officials meet them in highly ceremonial manner in which they’re obligated to show great respect; the tarantula in particular likes letting visitors assume that its spirit attendant (to whom it has formed a telepathic link to allow the spirit to speak on its behalf) is the lieutenant, so it can make a big show of angrily demanding that they address it directly.

All right, so the Animal Ken Charms had a lot of good stuff in them. I’m personally glad that stuff to enhance riding didn’t turn out to be very much of a focus, and instead the attention was given to development of familiars in a lot of interesting ways, creating a compelling image of what an Exalt able to turn into any of those animal forms might get out of or be able to bring to having such a creature as companion.

Nearly there, probably not much more left…

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• I like the idea of a Witch-Beast Ascended familiar out living it's Lunar, then tracking and killing the Wyld Hunt who did the deed in revenge. Possibly joining the Silver Pact afterward.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        I’m picturing things like a horse that gives itself shining wings and the ability to speak, going around shooting iridescent flames and fighting for equine freedom

My Storyteller Vault releases!
        Sorcerous Ways: Mystic Martial Arts - Punch people for magic power!
        These Mean Streets - Advise and systems for street-level punk-noir Vampire larp

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
          I like the idea of a Witch-Beast Ascended familiar out living it's Lunar, then tracking and killing the Wyld Hunt who did the deed in revenge. Possibly joining the Silver Pact afterward.
          "What happened to all you guys? You're such in a terrible shape!"
          "It... so much fire... it burns... it..."
          "It can't be the Anathema, we decapitated them and flayed their skin, we all made sure of that. They couldn't have survived, right?"
          "... not the Lunar..."
          "Then what the hell did this to you?"
          Before the poor soul in the infirmary can articulate a reply, she doubles over and vomits white maggots.
          At least they are safe while they are being nursed back to health, and they can even admire the view from the court, with nothing but perfectly peaceful pigeons and butterflies fluttering around.

*dun-dun-DUN*

Part-time table flipper.

Comment

Yeah, somewhere out there, I want there to be a Dominion in which the Lunar has their familiars as their lieutenants and governors, several of which take great pleasure in having visiting officials meet them in highly ceremonial manner in which they’re obligated to show great respect; the tarantula in particular likes letting visitors assume that its spirit attendant (to whom it has formed a telepathic link to allow the spirit to speak on its behalf) is the lieutenant, so it can make a big show of angrily demanding that they address it directly.
            This is a really interesting idea. I thought about much of the charmset in terms of both individuals, and the effects on creating societies, but for some reason I didn't consider how a Lunar's familiar(s) could, due to human-level intelligence, play a political role.

My characters:
            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• And I believe this is now the last category of Charms… Navigation. Damn, so close… still, I expect that this might include not just basically getting around, but general awareness of one’s presence and bearing, of the kind that might help overcome attempts to confuse or misdirect. We’ll see.

It begins with the return of Lodestone Reckoning Manner, with which a Lunar gets to spend a scene plotting out a journey and then rolling Wits + Survival with Essence or 3 bonus dice and double 9s, to then bank the resulting successes, committing a mote for the duration of them being held. Those can then be added up to a limit of the Lunar’s Essence as non-Charm successes to Survival rolls for foraging or finding shelter, or Sail rolls to navigate maritime hazards. It can only be activated to benefit once per journey (I take it that the planning stage needs to designate a destination, lest Lunars arbitrarily declare journeys completed), as well as ending once all the banked successes are spent. When at Wits 5, it can be repurchased to double 8s on the plotting roll, and allow the journey to be planned instantly. I’m not quite sure what the line about banked successes being available whenever the Lunar travels means, unless it’s saying that they can be applied to any kind of roll; on the face of it, it sounds like the original version has a limit that is not apparent. The Wits 5 version can only be used once per day. Lunars who have spirit shapes that migrate can learn it as a Perception Charm.

The next few Charms are Permanent enhancements to the Lodestone: Dauntless Yeddim Caravan allow the banked successes to be applied to rolls against environmental hazards, traps, poisons or diseases encountered along the journey, with an Essence 2 upgrade to allow three motes to be spent while doing so while also letting twice the Lunar’s Essence in companions enjoy the successes (although they get it as a Charm bonus). Moon-Cloaked Wanderer is the same, but lets the successes enhance covering tracks, Stealth rolls to evade guards or enemies, or Larceny rolls against obstacles along the journey that are staffed. Finally, the Essence 2 Charm Monarch-Wing Migration allows a four mote surcharge to be paid when activating Lodestone, providing a sense of special shortcuts along the journey that can allow the Lunar and companions to double their speed travelling along their charted route (ohhhh, so this is where some faster overland travel might go; clever), with a little note on expected daily travel times. Riding animals don’t count towards the limit of beneficiaries, and it can only enhance travel by ship if the Lunar is at the helm and there aren’t more than the limit of beneficiaries aboard.

All right, what can they do now with Wyld Migration Formation? It plays off of Lodestone without directly enhancing it, instead requiring six motes to be committed for only up to an hour, during which time a Lunar and companions can travel the Wyld or similar warping environment without danger of exposure so long as they stick to the charted course, with the same exception for mounts. It’s stated that when travelling in this manner through the Wyld, at least one of the paths along the way will follow Creation’s physical laws. It can be reactivated at each interval without having to pay its Willpower cost again, and at Essence 3 a surcharge of three motes lets it function for the length of a day. Huh, this Charm used to belong to Perception…

I like the literary connotations of the Albatross-and-Hurricane Odyssey name (first for Essence 3). When the Lunar encounters a hazard, trap or naval obstacle while going about with Lodestone, they get to roll Wits + Awareness, Sail or Survival against the difficulty, able to add successes from Lodestone, to figure out a safe passage for themselves and companions (and mounts) without needing to roll to prevent damage from the danger, even in cases where doing so should seem impossible. If the Lunar is in a shape native to the environment, the roll to figure out a path gets double 9s.

Seeing these Charms together is helping to develop my picture of No Moon Lunars being very well-travelled in their pursuit of assets and secrets, a distinct purpose to the undertaking from Eclipse Caste Solars.

Treading Midnight’s Road is a Permanent Charm to allow the Lunar’s party guided under Monarch-Wing Migration to increase their speed by a factor of Essence, so long as the group is not being tracked, or has anyone know their current location or where they’re going, consisting of finding all kinds of weird shortcuts rather than becoming physically faster (which is used as a basis for being unaware that somebody has started following them by noticeably becoming much slower). And Ranging Wolf Deception lets them turn the tables a bit on pursuers: the Lunar gets to conceal tracks for themselves and companions with Essence rerolls for failed dice, and removes the limit on successes that can be added with Lodestone. Doing so allows the tracks to create false leads, either to a location familiar to the Lunar or a designated direction and distance. Even superhuman and magical senses can be hoodwinked by this misdirection, following the false track in belief that they’re after the Lunar. If used within a Lunar’s territory, it gets to waive Willpower cost. The Totemic benefit for this one is actually to Manipulation (which pairs well with some of its powers for affecting evidence), for spirit shapes with camouflage. I like this one, it’s very Bugs Bunny.

Oh, and that’s the end of Navigation already. I’ll be honest, the main thing I’m satisfied about here is the limitations on Charms for sailing, as I’ve had in mind for the last three or so years that sailing in particular was a thing in which little Lunar power would be found, as part of comparing them to Solars. I’m good with it being primarily focused on getting that ship from point A to point B, but not exactly more sophisticated manoeuvres that can be applied in, say, naval combat; you wanna fight ships, turn into a freaking kraken. That aside, I think there’s a decent bevy of effects here for the more wayfaring Lunar.

I’m just gonna keep going until the end, the prior wasn’t that long. Huh, Cache Charms; didn’t really expect to see these ever again.

Oh, but it actually manages to start off with something more unexpected and interesting, as Desert Basilisc Diadem permanently enhances a Lunar to allow them to mount hearthstones in the surface of their own bodies, benefitting from them as though they were slotted in an Artifact (with weapon and armour enhancing powers applying to natural attacks and soak, and also compatible with any magic that might turn a body part into a weapon or armour). They can slot Essence or 3 hearthstones at a time, and concealing them within clothing or similar means they can only be noticed by characters that have spotted the Tell. Setting aside the connotations for power, I like to imagine the ways in which this might give Lunars some even more distinct looks.

And Radiant Basilisc Jewel allows them to actually crystallize a greater hearthstone of their very own, that is expressive of something personal like Caste, spirit shape or Defining Intimacy, which is socketed as though by the prior Charm without counting towards the limit, and can’t be removed from the Lunar’s body, as well as having the best mote recovery a hearthstone can bring. Damn, even with the Storyteller veto on stones whose effects would be too powerful, this looks like a pretty significant transformation to provide to oneself, especially at Essence 1. I am surprised that it isn’t Totemic for Stamina, though; when I went through that Attribute with no such Charms, I was sure I must have misunderstood inferences elsewhere.

Squirrel’s Cunning Technique creates a special action to conceal a small, light object that gets Essence auto-successes and can’t be opposed at all without heightened or magical senses, although the Lunar can exempt specific people from the effect; one could slip plans or blueprints into the crack between bricks in a wall, and only let their agents be capable of finding them again. Ah, and Magpie’s Nest Resourcefulness was a previewed Charm, allowing a roll for retroactive declaration that some small, useful object was actually on their person all along, so long as there’s a place to plausibly hide it. Cuckoo’s Nest Cunning at Essence 2 enhances that Charm, allowing one to not only retroactively declare an object’s presence, but that they’ve already switched it for something on the person of an ally within medium range, contriving an explanation of when they made the switch. Huh, it says there’s an extra possibility at Essence 2, and looking at the later ones… the Minimum for this is in error. Anyway, the higher level allows it to be also used to switch for enemies as a special kind of disarm gambit (or regular opposed roll, out of combat).

I’ve got to say, these are proving a lot more interesting than just concealing a bunch of things Elsewhere.

Huh, wouldn’t have expected Wits as a method for awakening Evocations, but Rousing Hidden Power permits a point of Willpower to be spent to do so for no experience cost, for a resonant Artifact or a hearthstone. The power can be lost, however, if the resonance with the Artifact is lost (such as with the warform), and it can only be used once a day.

Now it’s actually at Essence 2, and okay, with all of this good will generated, they can start doing stuff with Elsewhere for Many-Pockets Meditation; a mote commitment allows an object light enough to carry or wear (only applying to Artifacts when attuned) to be sent Elsewhere, recalling them by cancellation, although not in a manner that instantly readies them. At Essence 3 with repurchase, committing four motes allows it to banish an object large enough to require no more than a feat of strength of difficulty 10 (so up to about the size and weight of an elephant), taking five minutes of concentration or figuring out an ingenious hiding spot (although the large object can’t belong to another person). So it’s an Elsewhere Charm that requires commitment where a Solar one would not, but on top of not being very expensive is vastly more versatile, being able to keep hold of a large variety of things, some of which might have particularly impressive applications once drawn out. A Lunar might pull aside their cloak to reveal an implosion bow yet.

Hidden Wonders Cloak enhances that Charm, allowing the objects to be concealed in a space normally too small for them instead of Elsewhere, which can allow others to draw them out of the space at the Lunar’s designation. The carrier’s nature can’t be perceived by others, barring with the use of powerful magic to perceive magic (which also allows them to draw out concealed objects). If the carrier is destroyed, its contents go straight to Elsewhere. I must admit, apart from being able to designate an alternate to get the things out, this feels like a stylistic choice more than anything, although I don’t necessarily have a problem with that. Oh, missed it over the next page… a contained can only hold twice Wits in smaller objects, or one per carrier for something massive from the Essence 3 repurchase.

On to Essence 3 itself, there’s Quicksilver Legend Evolution, with which it’s possible to permanently keep the Evocations awakened through Rousing Hidden Power if they’re used to uphold a higher Intimacy or accomplish a significant goal, although it can only be used to fix another Evocation when one has been awakened naturally, and once per story. Still, I like that image of, having awoken some of an Artifact’s power, the Lunar can adhere it fully to the instrument with some act that affirms the depth of its importance.

And from that comes Moon-and-Sun Panoply, a previewed Charm that I found immensely compelling for its imagery of a Lunar making an intimate and powerful gift for a mate, and the idea that they have shared custody over an Artifact, either to go forth with possession of it as an intermediary, or switching possession back and forth while in battle (images that I’m really enamoured of from Xenoblade Chronicles 2). I will note, however, that I observe the language about attunement to be slightly misleading; the idea that the cost to attune a mate’s Artifact is reduced to zero seems a bit of a cold comfort when the Charm’s own cost requires a commitment of bloody eight motes!

Anyway, moving on from that, and… oh Christ, a long Charm. Okay, going to break down what The Spider’s Trapdoor can do (wait, Decisive-only keyword?)…

Oh, so the Lunar gets to retroactively declare that they lured an enemy into a cunningly concealed and devised trap (possibly with a stunt, if that stretches furthest plausibility), allowing a special for of grapple gambit that is undodgeable and unblockable to be made against an enemy at up to medium range. One roll is made to serve as both attack and control, using Wits and Survival or appropriate Craft, opposed by an Awareness or Dodge roll, and with a penalty to the opposed roll equal to Lunar’s threshold successes on Initiative roll if the attack was unexpected. Usual Charms for enhancing grapples can’t improve the attack, but if it’s successful the enemy is clinched. The Lunar can’t make the usual actions or attacks on a grappled enemy, but remains themselves unimpeded, and it takes expending whole turns of action for the caught person or a helper to remove control rounds (while attacking the Lunar is no help). If being used with a Craft, a successful catch yields three silver craft points, and an enemy being incapacitated or surrendering within the trap brings Essence gold ones. Only usable once per scene, but reset by landing a decisive attack rolling at least 15 Initiative and resetting to base, or successfully concealing from all enemies; gives me a fun imagine of giving a person a really nasty smack across the face, before revealing that you hadn’t laid only the one trap, and directing their attention to the noose they’ve just stumbled into before it yanks them up.

The Charm Insidious Shadow Ruse upgrades Spider’s Trapdoor, letting one increase its gambit to 6 in exchange for making it also function as a disarm, distract or unhorse gambit. And then at Essence 4, there’s Implausible Lunar Panoply, through which a Lunar gets to retroactively declare that they were in possession of a two-dot Artifact, so long as they succeed on a roll with an appropriate Ability at difficulty 7 (otherwise the Artifact proves to be defective in some fashion). If the Lunar is supposed to have crafted it, the reveal can even yield gold points for them.

All right, the Cache Charms acquitted themselves well. Lots of fun and whimsical stuff present there for the Lunar who wants to be sneaky, foresighted and have a bit of extra magic. Nice that it was kept more interesting and on message than just having a private pocket dimension.

Okay, five pages of Territory Charms (should have seen these coming from Charisma), let’s go.

Secure Den Prana: Lunar can spend a day working to make for themselves a space large enough to contain the sum of Essence and Wits people, resulting in a secure location difficult to discover or penetrate. Casual observation won’t find it, and even a seeker has to overcome the successes on the Lunar’s roll to make it. Trying to track people that have taken refuge within or other indirect methods of discovery are penalised by Essence, though the Lunar and those deliberately invited can find it without difficulty. Crafting the den can even make it reap craft points. Having Magpie’s Nest Resourcefulness allows the existence of the den to be declared retroactively, although at a penalty to that Charm’s roll (but not a heavy one). And the Charm’s activation costs no Willpower if the den is within a claimed territory.

At Essence 2, Rats-in-the-Basement Style allows Magpie’s Nest to be enhanced, enabling its use within Essence miles of a den to retroactively declare the existence of a secret means of getting to it, at a difficulty of 5. The time between route and den will be no more than an hour and it has the same difficulty to discover as the den, although the number the Lunar can maintain is limited by Essence. If used in the form of a small creature, the secret passage can be made usable only for beings of that size.

Essence 3 begins with Labyrinthine Lair’s Depth, an enhancement to Secure Den Prana that allows an additional commitment of five motes to be made for the den if it’s within a territory, to increase its size in terms of people by a factor of ten, although it takes a week to put it together, and increases the penalty for declaring that it existed all along. Between this and a few other Wits Charms, I’m getting some means of equipping a concept I imagined for a character who convinced the inhabitants of a town on the Blessed Isle to depart and go live a free nomadic lifestyle.
              Forbidding Wilderness Perils is the first not concerned with dens, instead allowing a territory to be made more forbidding, as the Lunar does things like create a persistent environmental hazard (remove natural barriers against them or bargain with spirits), much more difficult to forage for food and shelter within (sabotaging the natural resources), making a traveller experience a virtual Tie of fear for the land and a penalty to rout checks for visiting battle groups, who are also harder to command in Strategic Maneuvers and easier to Demoralize (setting up fearsome monuments or cultivating gods of night and shadow), or (with a repurchase at Essence 4) making presence a possible point of repeated exposure for nasty diseases (contaminating water or animals or bargaining with disease gods), although that one can be safeguarded against by characters who are smart or observant. It’s an Indefinite Charm, so maintaining the dangers can be costly, although each one after the first only costs half as many motes. Sounds good for the Lunar who wants to discourage company or punish pursuers.

Harmony-With-Reality Technique allows an extended action to stabilise Wyld zones encompassed by a territory, with significant difficulty depending on how far into the Wyld it’s gone. The Wyld zone doesn’t actually solidify, it just becomes more habitable; its internal laws will be weird, but not of a form that makes human life impossible, and mutations either stop being inflicted (for bordermarches) or have a bonus equal to the Lunar’s Essence to resist them. A Solar mate who shapes the Wyld stabilised in this way gains dice equal to the level of a positive Intimacy to the Lunar +1 on the rolls to do so; heh, so in the end, at the point where they’re at their least associated with the Wyld, Lunars actually did end up getting a power to help out with Wyld-Shaping Technique (albeit of a less extreme form than people tended to propose in the past).

Let’s see, Hungry Mouse Mandate can be used to curse a territory to ensure that unwelcome visitors are bedevilled by the local fauna, represented as requiring an individual or a designated member of a group to make a Survival roll every week within against one used by the Lunar when the Charm was activated, with failure ensuring that some member of the group will suffer a botch on a roll to traverse or act (but not fight) within the territory, bringing potential disaster down on the group as animals menace or interfere with them. Also penalizes attempts to influence or tame the animals, unless made by somebody using appropriate magic. Within a story, can only inflict as many botches on a group equal to the Lunar’s Essence.

Midnight Guardian Territory lets a Lunar expend a full anima to suffuse a territory with it, creating a visible aura and causing those who sleep within to have dreams of being protected by a shining guardian beast, getting the benefits to Resolve and Guile of the Nightmare Beast Soul Charm (which can be withheld by the Exalt from specific characters). The Lunar will also become aware whenever a character sleeping within the territory has their dream’s invaded, and then spend a Willpower point to fight it off in the manner of the Charm, being able to protect multiple people targeted by the same effect with just one point and roll.

Fleeting Silver Mirage can be activated within a territory, and so long as the activating Lunar does not move or get knocked prone before the start of their next turn, at that point they vanish and reappear somewhere else in the territory. Essence 4 allows a two-Willpower surcharge to be paid on the Charm once per story to use it to travel between different territories, or to or from a secret den.

And the very last Charm, at Essence 5, is Tapestry Spun of Dreams. The effect is actually quite simple; if the Lunar is within a middlemarch level Wyld zone contained by Harmony-With-Reality Technique, it can’t inflict mutation on people, and if in the deep Wyld, the bonus dice added to the resistance roll become successes. This gives me a picture in which the people live a nomadic lifestyle, only entering the Wyld zone to harvest its fruits and live off its general bounty when the Lunar can return to safeguard them from it.

Not much else to say on the Territory Charms, other than how these strike me as a lot more tactical girding and application for them than the more compelling Charisma Charms, but that’s only fitting.

And that’s Wits done with. In the end, still a bit of a diffuse Attribute, but in a manner that feels more versatile than all over the place, and it expresses a lot of powers that are fun in their trickiness. I can actually see a coherent through line between them, mind; Resolve and Navigation are awareness of the self and keeping one’s head clear, Animal Ken is aligning one’s perspective with that of something alien, and territory and cache are about outthinking others, all falling under Wits varied umbrella.

I’ll save final thoughts for the Charms as a whole for my denouement. For now, I’m going to dive straight into the final chapter.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• And here it is, the final chapter: Heroes & Monsters. I’m going to approach this one a bit more casually; I’m here primarily for updated perspectives on familiar characters and sample Charms above Essence 5, so I hope to remain focused on those aspects rather than the more comprehensive breakdowns elsewhere.

Huh, a little introduction for the premise, that’s different; probably helpful to clarify that the write-ups are not comprehensive. And a sidebar preparing one for the approach to Essence 6+ powers; having come to mechanically define them, apparently the intention is that such Charms don’t represent grand new ceilings to power, but a way of articulating something distinct to the elder or signifying the most noteworthy parts of their legend. Even I had been imagining some formats for higher Essence Charms to represent a more transcendent form of power (even if specific and unique to character), but as somebody who likes the setting to maintain a certain integrity, this definition for the extent of Exalted power that isn’t using things like N/A Artifacts is quite satisfactory to me.

Okay, let’s have a look at some of you fellows… begins with an independent and Castless Lunar, Hata Mor, depicting somebody whose extremely harsh personal experiences have created an aversion to authority that even mentors of the Silver Pact are repellent, which might leave this former gladiator as one of the single most isolated Lunars in the setting. I really like how this guy Exalted as a result of gladiatorial injuries, but his method for trying to take down the objects of his ire is by fighting them in their native arenas, of politics and commerce. The choice of stonefish as the spirit shape for someone of that methodology is very clever (I’ve got a mild background that has given me an enduring respect for that animal). I came in thinking that the backstory sounded very typical, but what the character made of himself as a Lunar gave it a very nice twist, characteristic of them as Exalted, as well as reinforcing some of my newfound respect for the Casteless. Heh, and he’s also got a claw strider familiar, so you know his taste is excellent.

All right, let’s see how they came through on promises for my girl Lilith. Nice to see backstory focusing a bit on the slight memories for her ancient experience of Exaltation (as a huntress, naturally). I knew that Desus was detached from her completely, but I was not expecting her mate to be focused on so directly, with a name and everything. I like the certain poetic sense in recounting the experience of the Solar Bond. Desus may be gone, but I find some of the elements that were compelling about that relationship, the notion that it was distinctly passionate (vague as it often was) to be effectively recaptured in some of the ascribed First Age feats; I love the idea that there can be something memorable and legendary in a demigod visiting special gardens or enjoying a sumptuous ball.

Hmm, the nature of the cooling has changed… I have no love for the particulars of how Desus’ abuse and Lilith’s experience of it was described, but I do retain an attachment to the description in her introductory fiction in the First Edition core of some kind of secret hurt in her past having driven her self-imposed exile. Still, I can let it go; the needs of the Lunars in the game are different now, and such ambiguity is probably harder to maintain when you’re focusing a lens on the character. No, it’s better to maintain the idea that her pain and sorrow was from even war against the Usurpers being unable to relieve her loss. And I do find that it makes for very strong language leading up to the point of her eventually forsaking humanity for living as an owl, which is really all I want out of this.
                I like the descriptions of her placing herself into a new context, not yet ready to fully commit to the methods and duties of the Silver Pact while she’s still searching for her reborn mate, but maintaining her own grudge against the Realm and Bronze Faction, and wanting to try and reach out to her surviving friends and peers. One could probably make an interesting scene of being present for her meeting Raksi again for the first time in centuries, and trying to make sense of her current persona.

Like how the description of her incorporates that helm she had in her first art piece, which I’ve always found to be a damn shame to have not been more prominent. Interesting that even with her current quest, she’s spending most of her time in animal shapes. I like the point of characterisation in the idea that she’s taciturn, but becomes markedly less so as she spends more time with people. Oh, and she’s Casteless now, that’s very interesting; I guess her time with the Silver Pact must have been quite short. Mind, Changing Moon… never really suited her, even within the versatility of Lunar Castes.
                Yes, I like those new weapon names, they’re much more interesting. Oof, that Defining Principle of life being pain is rough, and I like how her most positive Intimacy is a Defining Tie of nostalgia for the First Age, contrasted against a Minor Principle of wishing she could let the past go. I think one could reap some interesting social scenes out of these Intimacies.

Hmm, hmm, yes… I can’t stop picturing her as resembling Lapis Lazuli. It’ssss distracting, but useful!

All right, show me her power! Okay, first, yeah, (Style) Beastman Avatar feels as though it was made to align with Lilith’s use of White Reaper Style. Okay, good, elder Charm off on its own, by name of Waking Dreamer Fugue.

…. What did Silver Mask Submersion do? Hang on, it’s in this Word document somewhere… no it isn’t, I have it down as Subversion, so one of us has made a mistake. Anyway, it’s the Charm to convince yourself you’re the shape you are. So Lilith’s iconic power is that she can retain the illusion and delusion of being an animal even while being free to move between her shapes, with a human form coming across as a weirdo, and making the Charm free when aligned with spirit shape. That… explains a lot of the preceding elements. I like it, it’s understated while still being a significant enhancement over a prior power.
                So Lilith ultimately came out very well to me. What about any new insights into Ma-Ha-Suchi?

I like the comments on how many of his peers view him as an idealist, and having fallen so much into intimidation wouldn’t be his first choice. Plus the idea that he’s gotten extremely comfortable in his hybrid body, in contrast to prior Editions. I’m glad that his characteristic voice remains, and now has its proper place as his Tell. The rest are things already inferred from his prior references in the book… but the Intimacies present a fascinating picture, with the hint of ego behind his desire to build the Realm anew, a Defining Principle of doubting if the struggle was worth it, and even that he has a Tie of loyalty to his allied goddesses.

Ahahahaha, I quite like the clever hint of revealing that goat was his original spirit shape through which Merits come from his hybrid body and which from the chimera Charm. And his iconic power is in the role or warlord (I would have sworn something for his hybrid body). The guy gets to make a gigantic display of sheer terror for free when against a battle group being affected by a Demoralize Stratagem, with a few other benefits. Seems all right.

I think I’ve been most interested to see Raksi after Lilith, just to get the more complete picture. Rounds her out a little with the idea that her current state is partially owed to a point of the Usurpation having removed a sense of security, but I like how it maintains her as having enthusiastically leaned into this insight. Hah, I love the idea of Raksi as a Renaissance woman who feels herself deprived of interesting discourse because people who could be true intellectual peers are on the other side of the war. Somebody needs to start a correspondence between her and Mnemon. Oh and I get a chuckle out of them leaning into the point that Raksi has never been portrayed consistently in art to just say “Raksi looks different almost any time you see her and nobody knows what she really looks like; recognise her by her Tell and the fact that she’s acting like the queen”. Also think a chimpanzee is a more fitting totem for her.

Hmm, no Artifact weapons by default… okay, her Intimacies, this is the big thing I’ve been waiting on. The Defining Principles put a lot of her into context, as like the first line it emphasizes how her sensibility of an aura of terror and immense power is rooted in a need for security. I also like how she has a Defining Tie of really liking how she’s turned out, without reservation or remorse; the impression I get is that the security isn’t borne from fear, just pragmatic acknowledgement that she lives in a world defined by the enemy. Hence also having a Principle that the war can’t be won cleanly. It lends an interesting edge to the idea that she respects those who don’t fear her, even while being driven very powerfully to try and make them. A Minor Principle of being unconcerned with the details of government is expected, but I particularly like a Tie of wonder for Luna.

Huh, isn’t written as using the hybrid body; makes sense, description of her using the warform always felt a bit out of place with her sorcery. The Book of Three Circles is given some Evocations to represent empowered sorcery from knowledge and being able to counter or distort basically everything…and her iconic power is armouring herself while shaping her sorceries, which carries a neat image of how she used to fight.

Okay, should be younger Lunars now, think I’ll just skim them and make short observations on key features…

Shadow-Rending Razor, she was mentioned in a mini Dominion with that moon worshipping assassin cult. Oh, former Immaculate monk who tried creating a utopian commune on Exalting, only for the Realm to drive her to vengeance when they murdered it. I like how she’s presented as trying to maintain a private serenity and occasionally taking personal sabbaticals from her vendetta to wander as a healer.

Swift Wayward Whisper, another new person. Interesting picture of a Lunar whose own home and concerns were far from the Realm, but was drawn to the Silver Pact’s cause by her sense of justice. I like how she tries to keep ties with her mortal village, and how when she impulsively takes some anti-authoritarian action that ends up causing more harm than good, she tries sticking around to fix it. Probably going to get her in trouble one day.

Bit more insight into Vanamaithri Mirror-Soul… interesting backstory of having been born to a designated role as a serene social mediator that was ruined by the Lunar Essence fever, and fighting the Realm was initially more of an outlet for that than true devotion (I find that their shahan-ya took advantage). So the experience at Skandhar-Bhal was rediscovering their true self, more than anything. I like that as a point for the story to pick up at. I also like the description of how they use clothes to display their moonsilver tattoos.

Aaaand that’s all of the Lunars. Overall, I’m happy with the approach to the elders, and find distinct Charms in each of the newer and younger people (although it could have used a sample No Moon besides Raksi).

I am going to bomb through these animals so quickly.

Aaaagggghhh of course it would start out with badgers, something I really like. Wait, that’s all you’re going to say about them? Come on, badgers can be downright vicious when they clamp down their jaws (as far as I know). Huh, mechanical rendering of burrowing is interesting.

Ah, finally an insect write-up. I find something cute in the idea of beetles being given vicious little attack stats that can only properly apply to other animals of that size. Huh, butterflies can be trained to shed magical sleeping powder; that appeals to the child in me that once loved a certain Pokemon.

I like that there are crabs here, and in particular how Creation includes such a range that some of them can be large enough to engage in proper combat without needing mutations or anything.

Nothing to say about deer… I like the range of Merits that frogs get, although I wonder how to resolve Sticky Tongue if a Lunar increases it to a larger size.
                Ah, good, the mighty hippopotamus. Oh sure, you give them a bone-crunching bite. Overall, traits look reasonably formidable.

Huh, a Great Stoat. Looks like a versatile little predator. I’m glad it gives suggestion for modifying into a smaller mustelid, but I would want to adapt it to the North as a wolverine for a Lunar I have in mind.

Ooohhh I don’t remember the name of the dinosaurs that these Iron-Skull Devil’s probably are… still, something that charges around with a solid bony head seems like a good addition to the Lunar repertoire. Wouldn’t have expected something with the simplicity of jellyfish, but apart from benefiting the totem of a Lunar from some art that I really like, probably has some fine-tuned tactical applications. Hmm, and maybe commanding them as a battle group…

Proper respect given to the athletic prowess and fighting spirit of the mountain goat… would have expected a bit more to represent the gnawing power of rodents (real cute on that sidebar name, persons). Octopus looks good, glad to see some giant stats… good stealth for your owls…

Were dinosaurs corresponding to shieldback lizards not already in the core?

Bah, you get out of here, swans, nobody wants you around. Although at least you get to batter with wings.

Yesss, the Thunder Lizard really feels like something to introduce your park with… like the communal qualities and thick blubber of the walrus… and I’ll never say no to some nice wasps (though I’m surprised there’s no suggestion for laying eggs.

… I done? I done! Just in time.
                Last edited by Isator Levi; 03-14-2019, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• The pestletail stats could always be used to represent an ankylosaur if you want, but it’s really glyptodon. The shieldback lizard is an actual ankylosaur.

Comment

• Well done. /10char

My characters:
                    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                      The pestletail stats could always be used to represent an ankylosaur if you want
                      {checks back}

No I can't. The dinosaur enthusiast child within me won't allow it. I'm sure I have to have read before that pestletails have shells they can retreat into, but I guess it never made as much of an impression as them smashing things with their tail, and the ankylosaur was a pre-existing image for that to latch to.

Comment

• These last few days were rather intense, so I'm going to give myself a break for a couple more before putting together my denouement assessing the book as a whole.

There is, however, one thing that I want to do in the meantime:

Actually purchase and read Exalted: the Lunars.

I... would definitely not want to do another thread concerned with reading it in detail, after this experience. Maybe convey the odd observation or reaction to it. It just has such an infamy to it, and remains distinct as an element of First Edition that actually wasn't heavily mined for the following one.

I also don't really want to pay money for it, so I'm trying to figure out an arrangement with some gift cards I still have from Christmas (gift cards kind of being one of the worst things to give to me, as I tend to feel as though buying anything for myself with them is wasteful and indulgent).

Initially had a thought on using my Amazon card to buy a physical copy, as there are actually some available for fairly cheap, buuuut it didn't quite feel right for that to be my one physical First Edition book. That and the general inconvenience of waiting for it to ship. Also, I think I might kind of want to use that card to get the third volume of that cool Elric comic.

The gift card that I think might possibly work on Drivethru has the problem of being worth a decent amount, which is grating against my innate thriftiness.

Comment

• I have one question relating to your last post, about the NPCs.

What did you think about Raksi and Ma-Ha-Suchi's intimacies? We noticed something was distinctly missing; my friends were annoyed, I found it amusingly realistic.

My characters:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                            I have one question relating to your last post, about the NPCs.

What did you think about Raksi and Ma-Ha-Suchi's intimacies? We noticed something was distinctly missing; my friends were annoyed, I found it amusingly realistic.
                            {raises eyebrow}

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

but the Intimacies present a fascinating picture, with the hint of ego behind his desire to build the Realm anew, a Defining Principle of doubting if the struggle was worth it, and even that he has a Tie of loyalty to his allied goddesses.

​[…]

okay, her Intimacies, this is the big thing I’ve been waiting on. The Defining Principles put a lot of her into context, as like the first line it emphasizes how her sensibility of an aura of terror and immense power is rooted in a need for security. I also like how she has a Defining Tie of really liking how she’s turned out, without reservation or remorse; the impression I get is that the security isn’t borne from fear, just pragmatic acknowledgement that she lives in a world defined by the enemy. Hence also having a Principle that the war can’t be won cleanly. It lends an interesting edge to the idea that she respects those who don’t fear her, even while being driven very powerfully to try and make them. A Minor Principle of being unconcerned with the details of government is expected, but I particularly like a Tie of wonder for Luna.

What did you think was missing? Ties to specific students? I don't think those are absent, just that there ought to be focus on more core characterisation with limited word count, and that the descriptions in the Silver Pact chapter are good enough for them to be guessed at (though I would imagine they're all Minor).

Comment

What did you think was missing? Ties to specific students? I don't think those are absent, just that there ought to be focus on more core characterisation with limited word count, and that the descriptions in the Silver Pact chapter are good enough for them to be guessed at (though I would imagine they're all Minor).
                              I suspect it was Betrayed Feelings, Bitter Nostalgia, or something else like "Had a bad breakup."

I'm glad it wasn't, since I'm sick of former allies turning mortal enemies having always been lovers; I especially like how it seems Raksi would happily move on if MHS would leave her alone, because she is not the one who cares about previous entanglements.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leliel View Post

I suspect it was Betrayed Feelings, Bitter Nostalgia, or something else like "Had a bad breakup."
                                Why do you suspect that? Ma-Ha-Suchi has a Major Tie to her of "Bitter Loathing", Raksi has a Major Tie to him of "Disdain". Their feelings about one another are clear and prominent.

Originally posted by Leliel
                                I especially like how it seems Raksi would happily move on if MHS would leave her alone, because she is not the one who cares about previous entanglements.
                                Ma-Ha-Suchi is presented as the one who basically became a hermit over it, where Raksi was presented in the Silver Pact chapter as having a particular liking for needling her former friend any time they happen to be present in council together.

Comment

Working...
                                X