Lunars you're looking forward to creating with the new book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunars you're looking forward to creating with the new book

Thousand Fang Shadow: assassin, guerilla, terrorist. His spirit form is a panther. I'm leaning toward Full Moon caste, but he might end up being a No Moon. Intimacies include, but are not limited to: Make the Realm Bleed [hatred], Feel Dragon-Blooded Throats Between Your Jaws [rage]. I'm hoping for some army-training Charms, so he can make use of his War [Asymmetric Warfare] specialization.

• Lioness
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    I'm wary of any sentiments that would lean in the direction of "there are good Dynasts and there are bad Dynasts, and the bad ones just happen to have more authority", or even flirt coyly with it from across the room.

But not quite in the manner of expressing discontent with the monarchy by hunting slaves for sport.
    I think these days much more thought goes into whether the books employ an example of something happening or reference a broad social trend.

A recent example of this being done right is Amatha Kinslayer's relationship with her husband. It's not shocking that a male Dragon-Blooded would treat his mortal wife like a concubine, but I think if the notion of such a thing had been addressed in What Fire Harth Wrought then it would've overshadowed the potentially interesting status quo of the husband joining the wife's household.

Conversely, while I didn’t need her backstory to tell me that the Realm being matrilineal and matriarchal wouldn’t protect women from domestic abuse or that Dragon-Blooded men could still wield considerable power over the opposite sex in the Realm’s new framework, I’m sure for some it’s going to be a light bulb moment that brings life to a character concept.
    Last edited by Lioness; 04-05-2019, 04:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SamuraiMujuru
    replied
    I had a fun idea for a boisterous gorilla totem Full Moon based loosely on General Trayster from Venture Brothers who claimed all his hearts blood by wrestling everything using one of those charms that let you tweak how you take forms. Dunno if it'd work, but it would be fun.

Leave a comment:

• vampire hunter D
    replied
    so,will he be a jedi of the sea?

ok as long as he stops Cthulhu from eating me

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    I'm thinking right now of a big burly and jovial northern No Moon, with a narwaal horn sticking out of his face

Leave a comment:

• Measure of Hope
    replied
    Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post

Is this Revan from KOTOR?
    Spoilers, I guess, for the few people who don't know how the story of KOTOR goes by now.

Not entirely. Revan had an entirely fictitious past implanted in their head and thus took much longer to catch on, whereas my time-lost sorceress accurately remembers her life up to a point and then has a ~300 year blank in which she somehow becomes an evil witch queen. Revan is also less of a fish out of water because their fake memories are constructed to make sense for the time and place, and the world is still familiar to them for the most part, whereas being centuries out of touch is a whole different experience. But in as much as they're both mind-screwed formerly evil protagonists on a redemption quest (if you're playing light-side Revan), sure, there's definite similarities. She's not intended to be an expy but I do like that story so I'm not above drawing inspiration from it (you've got me wondering who her Malak is, now). I like redemption arcs in general, if done well.

I also like characters who are a bit of a mystery to themselves. I once played a character in a superhero game who was a total amnesiac and no longer felt connected to the identity of who she was before, even though she had scrapbooks and diaries and loving parents trying to remind her. I pointed the GM at the blank space in her backstory where she was missing for three days and gained her powers and said "surprise me". I even left the possibility that she wasn't actually the original, but some kind of defective copy, on the table (this was actually her personal theory. It made her feel really guilty and alienated and drove a lot of her heroism). It was great. Her condition of course turned out to have been caused by the main plot so we got to unravel both at the same time and discover who/what she was as we discovered what was going on. It's something I recommend doing at least once if you have a GM you trust.

Leave a comment:

• MoroseMorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by Measure of Hope View Post

In a somewhat similar vein ... a tyrannical witch-queen who was coming to the end of the extended lifespan she gave herself with sorcery, and managed to botch the desperate working to give herself true immortality. She returned to the prime of her youth as she intended, but in mind as well as body.

She wakes up in a circle of standing stones, miles from home and centuries in the future, newly exalted and confused as hell. Everyone she knew is dead. People in the area speak of the terrible sorceress who rules with an iron fist and treats with devils and goes by a name she recognises as one she used to use in childish games of make-believe when she was younger. She knows things without quite knowing how she knows them - how to split her palm into a hellish maw that sucks the moisture from her enemies and leaves them as desiccated husks, how to call forth demons from nightmare realms beyond imagining - but is haunted by disturbing visions of her former life.

She believes her memory loss is a gift from Luna, a cleansing madness sent by the goddess of lunacy to scour away the deeper corruption of the spirit that overwhelmed her some unknown time ago. She's caught between wanting to find out what sent her down that path in the first place and being afraid to probe her own memory too deeply lest she lose herself again, but she can't escape the need to set right what she can and heal the damage she has done, which means she won't always have a choice but to plumb those depths.

Oh, and she's definitely got a dread manse out there somewhere full of forbidden lore and sorcerous tomes and task-bound guard demons that don't recognise her anymore and magical traps she can't remember. Should be fun.

I'm thinking rabbit totem, since they're vulnerable prey animals with a surprising amount of fight in them, symbolically associated with rebirth and madness (and of course, the moon).

Is this Revan from KOTOR?

Leave a comment:

• Measure of Hope
    replied
    Originally posted by The MG View Post
    A wicked old sorcerer who, reliving the moment that sent him down his dark path, finally did the right thing. Exalted, he has been returned to boyhood through something like the Blessed Transformation, and now he's out to earn this second chance while trying to be rid of the man he was.
    In a somewhat similar vein ... a tyrannical witch-queen who was coming to the end of the extended lifespan she gave herself with sorcery, and managed to botch the desperate working to give herself true immortality. She returned to the prime of her youth as she intended, but in mind as well as body.

She wakes up in a circle of standing stones, miles from home and centuries in the future, newly exalted and confused as hell. Everyone she knew is dead. People in the area speak of the terrible sorceress who rules with an iron fist and treats with devils and goes by a name she recognises as one she used to use in childish games of make-believe when she was younger. She knows things without quite knowing how she knows them - how to split her palm into a hellish maw that sucks the moisture from her enemies and leaves them as desiccated husks, how to call forth demons from nightmare realms beyond imagining - but is haunted by disturbing visions of her former life.

She believes her memory loss is a gift from Luna, a cleansing madness sent by the goddess of lunacy to scour away the deeper corruption of the spirit that overwhelmed her some unknown time ago. She's caught between wanting to find out what sent her down that path in the first place and being afraid to probe her own memory too deeply lest she lose herself again, but she can't escape the need to set right what she can and heal the damage she has done, which means she won't always have a choice but to plumb those depths.

Oh, and she's definitely got a dread manse out there somewhere full of forbidden lore and sorcerous tomes and task-bound guard demons that don't recognise her anymore and magical traps she can't remember. Should be fun.

I'm thinking rabbit totem, since they're vulnerable prey animals with a surprising amount of fight in them, symbolically associated with rebirth and madness (and of course, the moon).

Leave a comment:

• vampire hunter D
    replied
    I was just watching a show on PBS's youtube content on Eurypterids. And now I'm trying to think of a Lunar concept with a sea scorpion totem....

Leave a comment:

• blackheartz
    replied
    So I found this picture of a panther-owl griffon and I am becoming obsessed about it

Not clear yet on the concept but probably a No-moon witch.

Edit: Hana Rose is the name of the artist. https://eportfolios.macaulay.cuny.ed...2/owl-griffon/
    Last edited by blackheartz; 03-31-2019, 10:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bowerbird
    replied
    I've always wanted to try an Ichneumon Hunter Totem Lunar, giving birth to Beastmen is so much easier when you can make someone else do all the hard work.

Leave a comment:

• lncbill
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    I'm kind of reminded of the whole business with police conveniently not having their body cams turned on, not tracking how many people they kill, being encouraged by their own chiefs to erase bad marks off their records, and so on; sure, not every cop is bad, but the system as a whole...
    This is the post that started the detour into the inherit injustice of the US justice system. While race factors heavily in the equation, so does wealth.

So new concept, trying into the debate.

Grabbed by the garrison forces of a realm satrapy and forced into slavery for a crime he didn't commit the character is exalted and escaped and becomes after training from the Silver Pact a revolutionary leader in the satrapy. Possible spirit shapes: Eagle, Rattlesnake, Claw Strider, Fox, or Badger.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

That would certainly be the narrative preferred by film and television as it’s much simpler to label the problem as criminal corruption than “the foundation these laws and policies are built on was intentionally designed to facilitate racial oppression, and we haven’t been willing to pull them up by the root” as tha doesn’t provide conveniently identifiable beatable villains.

I mean just look at *gestures at entirety of the “war on drugs” and prison-industrial complex*

If it was a problem of a few corrupt local governments the US wouldn’t so vastly outstrip every other nation on Earth on incarcerating our own citizens.
    If it makes you feel any better... you also massively outstrip other developed countries on police shootings! American police shoot more people dead a year than have been shot dead by police in England and Wales since 1945.

Though I will say that a terrible system doesn't mean most cops are evil, so much as they're stuck in a terrible system that trains them to respond in certain ways. I think a big factor is America's enormous gun murder rate, which makes US cops worry a lot about being shot in a way that our police don't. I mean, being a policeman in the USA is more dangerous than being a policeman in Northern Ireland, where there are actual terrorist groups who deliberately target policemen. Outside NI, most of our police don't carry guns, so even if they are racist or paranoid they can't shoot people dead, but then our criminals and terrorists don't normally have guns either. The US law enforcement environment is so high-stress, high-danger, racially-charged, that it pushes cops to behave with excessive force, or, they worry, die.

I read about a US cop a couple of years ago who was fired for not shooting an unarmed black man. With that kind of thing, it's no wonder that the cops end upl bad.llll

Incidentally... How did this conversation start, and what's the relevance to Exalted?

Leave a comment:

• Jackson MacKenzie
    replied
    I watched the Met Opera Die Walküre this morning and now I really want to do a Wotan expy as a No Moon: the aggressively transgressive witch-king. It's less the Raksi "doing it to fuck with you", and more "doing it because he wants to see what can be accomplished". Conducting social experiments in weaponizing societies through generational shenanigans.

If I run a Lunars game, he will absolutely be appearing as a shahan-ya.

(Also, Act II is a wonderful example of what happens when you have too many Defining Intimacies.)

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    I would go so far as to say that most cops are great, but the system itself may have serious inherent flaws, and in some places the force is hopelessly corrupt because of hopelessly corrupt local government making it impossible for an honest cop to hold power within the rigged system.
    That would certainly be the narrative preferred by film and television as it’s much simpler to label the problem as criminal corruption than “the foundation these laws and policies are built on was intentionally designed to facilitate racial oppression, and we haven’t been willing to pull them up by the root” as tha doesn’t provide conveniently identifiable beatable villains.

I mean just look at *gestures at entirety of the “war on drugs” and prison-industrial complex*

If it was a problem of a few corrupt local governments the US wouldn’t so vastly outstrip every other nation on Earth on incarcerating our own citizens.
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-30-2019, 07:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X