How do I make Ki Rata

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make Ki Rata

The martial art in the latest portion of K6BD. Described as “ An internal/external discipline, widely respected as the most dangerous Fist Art in the multiverse. It’s core technique is a breathing method that allows internal force to be cultivated extremely rapidly and focused on a point smaller than a pin-prick, giving blows absolutely phenomenal power. Blows using this technique are named by the number of points they contain – one point blows are strong enough to crack stone with a touch. Two point blows can decapitate a man with the air pressure created by flicking a finger. Legends about of old masters of Ki Rata using ten point blows to level cities but I find the claim highly dubious.”

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
    Many Limbed Manual
    Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
    San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
    My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Let's see when we have sample of Sidereal Martial Arts.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      Let's see when we have sample of Sidereal Martial Arts.
      My concern here is that SMAs tend to be more esoteric then Ki Rata is shown.

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

Based mostly on the description.
        'Points' are a special resource that are part of the charm costs that can be obtained somehow which makes having 1-2 of them available to you a given, but higher numbers harder to reach and potentially unsafe for the Martial Artist.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
        Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

kind of like building up sorcerous motes?

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
            kind of like building up sorcerous motes?
            Seems like a fair comparison.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

I had someone on a discord suggest making it a martial art that begins at e3—giving it a basis for “the best martial art” to be sought after. I’ve also considered focusing on the breathing manipulation, maybe basing it’s early stages on Taoist martial arts? Building up cultivation and at the upper levels releasing it as a single point.

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

Honestly that still sounds like an SMA, just an unusually direct one.

Comment

The tricky thing with Ki Rata is it looks like it's basically just 'Punch, but more', which isn't usually how charms work.

Until we see it doing something more than 'Punch, but more', it's a pretty straight forward combination of Excellency and 'throw every damage enhancing Charm you can on to the attack'.

My Storyteller Vault releases!
                  Sorcerous Ways: Mystic Martial Arts - Punch people for magic power!
                  These Mean Streets - Advise and systems for street-level punk-noir Vampire larp

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                    Based mostly on the description.
                    'Points' are a special resource that are part of the charm costs that can be obtained somehow which makes having 1-2 of them available to you a given, but higher numbers harder to reach and potentially unsafe for the Martial Artist.
                    Yeah, my immediate thought was that it should be something like White Reaper with the Halos.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                      I had someone on a discord suggest making it a martial art that begins at e3—giving it a basis for “the best martial art” to be sought after. I’ve also considered focusing on the breathing manipulation, maybe basing it’s early stages on Taoist martial arts? Building up cultivation and at the upper levels releasing it as a single point.
                      Consider maybe making it a Martial Art that uses a mechanic similar to the Stormcaller’s Storm building effect, there could be a cap on points (say Essence x 2) maybe the capstone is an AOE effect with points determining rage, such that an E5 character might be able to make it out to long range? This is still hideously powerful but it could still be within the realm of possibility.

Comment

The problem is that its defining feature is "the strongest martial art ever", much moreso than its actual techniques or mechanics or anything like that. That's not something that can easily be added to a tabletop game.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquillion View Post
                          The problem is that its defining feature is "the strongest martial art ever", much moreso than its actual techniques or mechanics or anything like that. That's not something that can easily be added to a tabletop game.
                          I did notice it’s absence from Broken World. I think I’ll wait to make it until after the arc—the ideas I had are either reminiscent of Prismatic Arranfsment or an art for my own projects.

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

Ki Rata's whole thing is that it's incredibly dangerous because it really is just the One Weird Trick that someone figured out that makes you win at fighting, right? It's h4x. It's like regular karate, like, not much more difficult to learn than regular karate, except if you learn it instead of learning karate, you can blow up cities. Whoops! Unfortunate that reality allows for such a thing, better police the hell out of the whole cosmos to ensure nobody spreads or exploits it!

This doesn't really work in any system that assumes equal XP expenditures will lead to somewhat balanced characters. Which, like, I know, I know, Exalted, linear BP/exponential XP, feel free to laugh. But it's still a problem. You can't make a "balanced" version of Ki Rata because there isn't anything to Ki Rata except how unbalanced it is. Being phenomenally, existentially imbalanced is what Ki Rata is.

(Ironically it'd be easy to do in Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine because.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                              Ki Rata's whole thing is that it's incredibly dangerous because it really is just the One Weird Trick that someone figured out that makes you win at fighting, right? It's h4x. It's like regular karate, like, not much more difficult to learn than regular karate, except if you learn it instead of learning karate, you can blow up cities. Whoops! Unfortunate that reality allows for such a thing, better police the hell out of the whole cosmos to ensure nobody spreads or exploits it!

This doesn't really work in any system that assumes equal XP expenditures will lead to somewhat balanced characters. Which, like, I know, I know, Exalted, linear BP/exponential XP, feel free to laugh. But it's still a problem. You can't make a "balanced" version of Ki Rata because there isn't anything to Ki Rata except how unbalanced it is. Being phenomenally, existentially imbalanced is what Ki Rata is.

(Ironically it'd be easy to do in Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine because.)
                              Reality Syndrome 4 lyfe

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                              X