The Gender Pronoun Game & Lunars: Fangs at the Gate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Hell, The Flintstones managed to wreak at least one notable change in the language, back when they were hocking cigarettes!
    Which change is that?

Edit: The reason “nimrod” is used to mean “idiot” is because a generation of kids weren’t familiar with the sarcastic allusion that Bugs Bunny was making to a mighty Biblical hunter. He was calling Elmer Fudd “Nimrod” the way someone might sarcastically use “Einstein” - but kids who didn’t know who Nimrod was could tell by context it was an insult and just picked it up as meaning “dumb”.
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 02-22-2019, 01:50 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
      But the problem is when it becomes or remains unclear whether you are referring to a singular individual or a group.
      Sure, but that's the same with You.

All of the examples I gave clearly state they are singular, by use of singular countable nouns or pronouns (person, someone, etc).

My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        Sure, but that's the same with You.
        Sounds like a problem for those who don't appreciate the beauty of "Y'all". Or "you all".

Which reminds me that Southerns also have a partial solution to third person pronouns with "them all" and "all of them". We just need to take the bold step into coining the term "th'all".

Third person plural possessive would be "th'all's", just as second personal plural possessive is "y'all's".

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Well, that's what I was saying earlier. Seems sensible to me.

My characters:
          Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            Which change is that?
            Folks considered using "like" as a conjunction to be "ungrammatical and provocative."
            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 02-22-2019, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I suppose it's only fitting that, after ten or more years of an endless multitude of threads transforming at the merest mention of Lunars, that the introduction of Lunars at the height of their powers be commemorated by a thread that starts off nominally about them, and then immediately transforms into a general discussion of grammatical and etymological intricacies.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                I suppose it's only fitting that, after ten or more years of an endless multitude of threads transforming at the merest mention of Lunars, that the introduction of Lunars at the height of their powers be commemorated by a thread that starts off nominally about them, and then immediately transforms into a general discussion of grammatical and etymological intricacies.
                It's-... It's like the inverse of Meerkat Steals the Spotlight Prana. It's kind of beautiful, actually.

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                  As the person perhaps most responsible for that phenomenon (or at least the only such person I know about who still posts in the official forums), this is not the first time. Granted, it is rare.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                    Still, it's not as bad as British English's failure to distinguish between second-person-plural and second-person-singular, which frankly is embarressing. Texans can manage it, why can't we?
                    Except that's not really the case.

Northern dialects of British English (and Scots English) do have a plural form of you: yous or youse. You'll also see 'you lot' or 'yous lot' across Britain, or 'yas' (as in plural of 'ya', not 'yaaaasss queen').

Then there's the archaic (but surprisingly durable) 'ye' (again, especially in the North of England and Scotland, but also in Ireland): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_(pronoun)

I've also seen and heard 'yeez', which is probably from ye.

See here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/You#...l_plural_forms

Yes, these are informal, but so is the Texan 'y'all'.
                    Last edited by adambeyoncelowe; 02-23-2019, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Since we're talking of informal pronouns, I have to mention youns. We say that one in tennessee.

What's weird is some people here are slightly racist(statesist?) about it too. If you say youns you're from tennessee and therefore cool. If you ya'll then at least you're a southerner. Except some people born in tennessee still say ya'll so it's actually a complete and utter fail on the people that think that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonchild View Post
                        Since we're talking of informal pronouns, I have to mention youns. We say that one in tennessee.

What's weird is some people here are slightly racist(statesist?) about it too. If you say youns you're from tennessee and therefore cool. If you ya'll then at least you're a southerner. Except some people born in tennessee still say ya'll so it's actually a complete and utter fail on the people that think that way.
                        It's only that way because Tennessee is actually three states split more or less equally along its width that each have their own culture. People from Memphis speak and sound nothing like people from Chattanooga and kids come back from Knoxville with weird vocabulary.

Comment

Working...
                        X