Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Lunars allowed to combine native charms and martial arts again?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post
    I've only skimmed the 16(!) pages of discussion, so sorry if I'm missing something elementary; but do we actually know that Lunars can combine native and MA charms? Ex3 core goes out of its way to specify that Solars can't combine MA charms with charms from other Abilities. Are we really sure that FatG won't impose similar attack-charm restrictions?
    Lunar Charm Preview 1:

Lunar Charms can be freely combined with Martial Arts Charms and Evocations.

Comment

• Originally posted by prototype00 View Post

Lunar Charm Preview 1:
      OK, now the whole argument makes way more sense to me. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by bboat View Post

Ravaging. Unless you're making a tasteless rape analogy, in which case, carry on.
        That was uncalled for. Ravishment has actually been used by the gameline as a term for when a Fair Folk fed on a person's soul.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
        Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lioness View Post
          That was uncalled for. Ravishment has actually been used by the gameline as a term for when a Fair Folk fed on a person's soul.
          The gameline has played quite fast and loose with rape in its history, something I'm glad it's left behind.

Comment

• Agreed. Just saying Epimetheus is just using a word that's been banded around a lot in Fair Folk context to the point where it has lost meaning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lioness View Post
              Agreed. Just saying Epimetheus is just using a word that's been banded around a lot in Fair Folk context to the point where it has lost meaning.
              I did mean ravaging. I just mispelled it and autocorrected it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabirius View Post
                Fair, though I wouldn't count out an MA supplement at some point either (not VBoS, but another katana style). The real point is that styles compatible with SPSitVS are likely inevitable in ways that RDS is not.
                Actually, I just remembered that we don't know how strong the style willl be. Violet bier was more powerful than normal in 2E because it combined charms that were native brawl charms into martial arts. If those charms go back, VBoS loses quite a few of the abilities it had.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post

Actually, I just remembered that we don't know how strong the style willl be. Violet bier was more powerful than normal in 2E because it combined charms that were native brawl charms into martial arts. If those charms go back, VBoS loses quite a few of the abilities it had.
                  VBoS was powerful because of Life Severing Blow, Blade of the Battle Maiden, Joy in Adversity Stance, and its form. I suspect all of these things would need a second pass at the balance table. I don't know that brawl really existed then, or that VBoS' combo-ability was at the root of its power.

Comment

I don't know that brawl really existed then.
                    Brawl existed back in 1e. That's the reason they returned to it in 3e.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                      Brawl existed back in 1e. That's the reason they returned to it in 3e.
                      I thought we were discussing 2e, my bad.

Comment

I thought we were discussing 2e, my bad.
                        It might've been my bad; my understanding was that 1e had Brawl and MA as two separate Abilities, 2e merged them into one, and consequently gave Violet Bier a bit of a power boost (though it was already a very potent style in 1e), and that it might get knocked down a bit now that the divide is back.

Comment

• So going back to the OP now that the text has been out for a while, what I notice is it mostly focuses on how lunar charms enhancing martial arts attacks will break them, which makes sense since the lunar attack-creating charms werent out. But now what I feel actually really breaks things is martial arts charms enhancing lunar attacks.

Take Behemoth Footprint Tread with Shining Starfall Execution and Fatal Stroke Flash. Now thats a lot of damage to roll against everyone within medium range with one attack. Or if you're not worried about damage but about hitting in the first place or your storyteller feels you have to actually use your feet (unarmed) why not do it with Bleeding Crescent Strike and White Reaper Form for double 9s on the attack roll and double 10s on damage on top of the attack and damage enhancers lunar have natively?

So if anything needs to be nerfed about lunar martial arts I think charms like this in the lunar charmset need to specify they have to use Brawl on the attack roll or things get out of hand very fast.
                          Last edited by limaxophobiac; 03-20-2019, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• I actually found that I dropped a lot of martial arts charms I was going to combo, in favour of Lunar charms; they're 20% cheaper, and often better.

Which is not to say there aren't any broken combos out there.

My characters:
                            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Is Behemoth's Footprint Tread actually good? It looks like the sort of charm you break out for the classic lone elder squatting in a First Age ruin whose expected to engage 5 PCs at once but outside of that "I decisive everyone within medium range!" is a pretty controversial tactic.

Comment

• It is limited to people standing on the ground/floor so lunar buddies who know its comming can avoid it without too much trouble, and if you're in a duo-game with a solar mate they're going to be safe riding on your back (which they can now be even with you doing MA thanks to the Centaur mutation), so your party can usually be safe with a bit of cooperation. After that its down to how worried you are about collateral damage, but yeah I'd say slaying entire wyld hunts with a single attack is a good trick to have up your sleeve.

Comment

Working...
                                X