Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let me tell you another reason why I didn't bother to pay for my own Lunar Charm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me tell you another reason why I didn't bother to pay for my own Lunar Charm

Because these are ALL my Lunar Charms.

I've been following this game since First Edition, and the first (or second?) official forum. I think it was a short while after the first Lunar book came out.

I invested far too much time and energy arguing with faceless strangers on the internet about the fact that the Lunar Exalted's mechanical and narrative execution sucked and needed to be better. I also invested far too much time and energy attempting to rewrite their Charmset over and over and over and over again. That's about 17 years.

I've paid.

I didn't write these Charms. I never could have written these Charms.

I won't be so arrogant as to claim to have much influence on these Charms, but I assume I had at least a little, if only because I made sure anyone following the official website could never get far away from the Lunar Discourse or my opinion on it, and I know Robert has engaged with me on the subjects before. I can be pretty sure Robert knew a few of the things I wanted to see.

But it wouldn't even bother me if I had no significant influence on these Charms at all. They are still, somehow, exactly what I wanted, and when they aren't, it's because they're things I didn't even realize I wanted, even when they were logical extensions of my own desires.

I mean, there are some things I thought would be cool, and didn't get, but I explored so many ideas that most of them had to be bad or infeasible ideas from the start. I'm happier that Robert went a different direction with Heart's Blood than one particularly elaborate idea that I once had. Just as I was happy for Lunar Exalted to lose the reality-warping shenanigans to the Getimian Exalted.

Between that general level of contentment, and the overwhelming number of Charms to read, I'm not sure I even could think of an additional Charm to ask for.

To be honest, this is almost scary. A part of my life is now over, and I have to move on; learn to live in a world where the Lunar Exalted are actually good now, and the Dragon-Blooded are actually good now.

But I'm "old" now, and getting older, and I'm fed up of being full of piss and vinegar. Besides, I've got a full-time job now, which I didn't have for most of those 17 years. So I'll spare these younger generations and my fellow First Age survivors from a new round of crusading for things like the Martial Arts Styles I'd like to see and still don't see on the horizon.

I'm just going to sit back, let go of the injustices of the First and Second Ages, enjoy this brave new Third Age, and try not to die from relaxing.
    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 02-23-2019, 05:22 PM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

I sincerely find this a bit moving.

I think, back in the time where I was still lurking and examining to get a feel for the Exalted forum, the background and the ongoing issues and the in-jokes, the thread in which you coined the line about doing the impossible to be excellent was one of the first threads that I read in depth.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Yeah, I was wondering at the end if you were like bowing out of the forums.

But really, end of an era. You were old when I first started posting on the old WW forums (I think that's more than two sets of forums ago) and definitely at least 11 years ago. I was so young then, *sob* and you've, as far as I can tell, been on here consistently whereas I vanish for a couple years every once and a while when life gets too hectic for exalted or (when there was the long drought) when there is no published material for half a decade.

Anyway, Cheers sir, congrats on a hard fought victory.

Don't weep because there are no worlds left to conquer

Comment

Indeed, this edition, and especially these last two books, have lived up to a promise that was made when we first discovered Exalted over a decade ago. A world where full of heroes and villains passions and abilities that are inspiring and terrifying.

I remember in the second campaign of 3e that I ever ran, one of the Dawns in my group challenged an incredibly powerful terrestrial princess to an honour duel and actually lost by the breadth of a hair. One success on the dice two turns in a row. It started a spiritual journey for him where he learned that his power was not so great as his pride, and by the end he was a warrior with strength, courage and true humility. The only reason that story was possible was because she mattered in a time and place where last edition she wouldn't have.

Comment

Another relief.

I was worried this might have seemed arrogant and pompous.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
            Another relief.

Sometimes people earn a little pomposity-- but I didn't feel it was either, or if it was then it was merited. heh.

Comment

Another relief.

Nonsense. Well, to the youngsters maybe who never had to go through the pain of first edition's double rolled defences and or second edition's perfect spam and wide tier gaps. In fluff and crunch for that matter. Lunars, DBs and kind of Sidereals felt like they were neither heroes or villains. Now each of them are both. We wanted to explore a world and characters who were awesome but half the time the dice or lame dick measuring got in the way.

Looking back on some criticisms of this edition, most of them end up falling into catagories of trying to tell a story with a big group of Solars that was better suited for Lunars or DBs or mortals, or just a small pitfall in a complex system that should be avoided. I'll try to keep that in mind as to not poison future generations with phantoms of old problems that are largely solved. Calling off the Wyld Hunt as it were.

Comment

As someone who's mostly lurked and occasionally posted on the Exalted forums since the beginning, but who's definitely been around for most of your Tornado Wolf Lunar rants, this is quite moving to read and gladdens my heart.
                Last edited by Megapope; 02-23-2019, 05:38 PM.

3e Scavenger Lands map
                3e Combat tracker card
                2e Nexus map

Comment

Originally posted by Megapope View Post
                  As someone who's mostly lurked and occasionally posted on the Exalted forums since the beginning, but who's definitely been around for most of your Tornado Wolf Lunar rants, this is quite moving to read and gladdens my heart.
                  Okay, now I just feel like I performed some sort of obligated duty by declaring the end of a war I had a part in declaring the start of. Declaring the start of peace.

If I created a sense of rage and unrest, I guess I have the responsibility for calling for a new era of peace and prosperity.

But hey, let's give a round of applause to those developers and writers who have finally brought us victory!

Hip hip! HOORAY!

Cheers for Robert Vance and Eric Minton!

Cheers as well for Holden Sheer and John Morke!

The future is looking bright.

Comment

I reaaaaally love Cage of Horn and Sinew, Spirit-Sealing Talisman, and Chains-of-Silver Geas. So many ways to make spirits my bitch instead of permanently killing them., but which itself gives unscrupulous Lunars more reason to seek spirits out and beat them up.

Doom Brought to Heel is neat, especially with the previous Charms to punish a freed spirit who forgets his place.

Unraveling the Tapestry is a neat way to mitigate the troubles that a Lore Solar or an Astrology Sidereal can turn against you.

Inchoate Wonders Realized is finally a bit of mechanical support for the story of "using an incomplete artifact to do amazing things that end up being the final touches the artifact needed to be complete", like with Seven-Fingered Wu and the time-staff.

Inexplicable Lunar Wonders feels like it was made just for me, and my indecisive ass.

Beast-Slayer's Art and God-Skinning Hunter Art are exactly what I asked for.

Shifting Skin Raiment is something like what I asked for, but in its own way much more amazing than what I asked for.

I'm glad Many-Phase Insights gives me crafting experience for healing people, which I asked for, as well as for a bunch of other things.

Brilliance-Drinking Approach is concerning; Nine Gala has to be reaaaaally wary of a No Moon appearing in her territory, fearing not only for her own everlasting life, but also about her apprentices getting poached. Even if they don't end up dying, they're getting harassed in all sorts of manners.

Does it still work if you DON'T destroy her, but instead shove her into a pig or wooden idol?

I get this idea of a Lunar who does what Ninegala does, but for the purpose of treating her apprentices like wheat to be reaped when she's ready to eat. Training her brainfood.

I love Dreaming Wisdom Revelation.

Oh, and Lessons is the Blood is EXACTLY the sort of thing I asked for. Stolen Voice Echo, too.

SO MANY HEALING CHARMS, THIS IS GREAT.

All of the dice-modifying Charms are clearly set up to work with mundane Investigation actions as well as any special ones provided by Perception. One or the other would be great, and together they would be amazing.

Crossroads Walker Entreaty, Argent Prayers Fulfilled, Devil-Pleasing Chiminage, Raiton's Dark Auspice, Graveyard Hound Vigil, Penumbra Witch Mastery...
                    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 02-23-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

All of the stuff related to undead makes me wish we had the necromancy rules.

Comment

If I created a sense of rage and unrest, I guess I have the responsibility for calling for a new era of peace and prosperity.

But hey, let's give a round of applause to those developers and writers who have finally brought us victory!

Hip hip! HOORAY!
                        Haha! I never thought you were that bad, just someone on a mission. But completely agree, big ups to the new crew and the old new crew.

3e Scavenger Lands map
                        3e Combat tracker card
                        2e Nexus map

Comment

Now we need some sort of Ewok village celebration that quietly ignores how doomed their planet is, until future writers retcon in the opening of a wormhole to shunt away most of the devastation.

From my own experience, overcoming toxic biases is kind of akin to blowing up the Death Star.
                          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 02-23-2019, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            Now we need some sort of Ewok village celebration that quietly ignores how doomed their planet is, until future writers retcon in the opening of a wormhole to shunt away most of the devastation.

From my own experience, overcoming toxic biases is kind of akin to blowing up the Death Star.
                            I'm not entirely sure what you mean to say, but I sure hope it's more optimist than it sounds in this thread in which I'm trying to be thoroughly enthusiastic, happy, and optimistic.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what you mean to say, but I sure hope it's more optimist than it sounds in this thread in which I'm trying to be thoroughly enthusiastic, happy, and optimistic.
                              Some Star Wars people like to joke (or make serious contentions) about how the Death Star exploding as close to the moon as it seems from the visibility during the day would logically deposit a ruinous amount of debris.

I don't think TheCountAlucard intended to infer some kind of unseen future doom, although I can fully see how somebody might read it that way and be brought down.

I suspect Count meant it here just for the purpose of black humour, so be of good cheer.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                              X