Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potentially politically problematic homebrew?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Hug Ninja View Post
    Could work, depends how effective the secondary attack is.
    Eh.. machine gun stats?

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      Eh.. machine gun stats?
      I wouldn't exactly call a machine gun a tool of "harassment."

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        I wouldn't exactly call a machine gun a tool of "harassment."
        To be frank, I was more thinking on 'I need a weapon that would pin down an enemy'. It can't be too powerful. That's what the sacrificial main weapon is for. So I chose machine gun. Its meant to harass, capable of doing damage, but its also a bad idea to depend on it to fight your battles.

Comment

What edition are you homebrewing for? I assumed 3rd ed, but you're referencing a lot of 2nd ed material. I'm familiar with both, just wondering.

To continue the discussion re: genesis of racism. Fear of the "Other" is a pretty common human drive, but most specific examples of racial tension or conflict have their roots in structural factors like the ones Isator Levi mentioned. It's usually a convenient excuse for fulfilling some other need or want, rather than the driving factor.

If you need cheap labour, designate a nearby people as inferior and enslave them. If you need resources or land, demonise the people who have what you want and take it. If you need someone to blame for the fallout of your economic policies, blame immigrants so you can hold onto power. Fear of the other doesn't create societal conflict on its own (though it can give rise to individual violence). There's usually some individual or faction with something to gain by tapping into and directing that impulse at a target, wherever you see widespread racial violence erupt.

Now if your demon works by making one culture seem like the aggressor by carrying out violence and sabotage, people might get fearful enough to strike back in order to deal with a perceived threat. But physical racial traits aren't always going to be the best way to do that. Just look at the way the Irish were treated by other whites not too long ago. People's understanding of race is fluid and malleable, and cultural signifiers can mean as much as your skin tone or the shape of your nose.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

Working...
          X