Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artifact 0 items?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Artifact 0 items?

    OK. They ripped out the thaumaturgy system.

    This isn't the end.

    Basically, the purpose of this thread is multiple. For example... Can I create makeup that adds dots to appearance temporarily.?

    What about hair changing dyes? Are these artifacts, or major projects? What about improvised explosive devices, that use bamboo and fire dust to explode? Artifact or major project? What about combat drugs?

    How to make something out of the ordinary... Yet not an artifact. I think there should be a space in game for low key magic. Nothing earth shaking. Just flavorful.

  • #2
    There's a shitload of this. It's just not called artifacts.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      For example... Can I create makeup that adds dots to appearance temporarily.?
      That sounds too powerful; adding dots of Appearance temporarily is something that Exalted Charms can do.

      Originally posted by Accelerator
      What about hair changing dyes? Are these artifacts, or major projects?
      I don't even think those are basic projects. All people need is a coloured material. Or even if you are refining some chemical... I don't think it's important enough to warrant being more than a basic project.

      Originally posted by Accelerator
      What about improvised explosive devices, that use bamboo and fire dust to explode? Artifact or major project?
      Yeah, just major project.

      Originally posted by Accelerator
      What about combat drugs?
      That can mean a lot of things, and some are more appropriate than others.

      Originally posted by Accelerator
      I think there should be a space in game for low key magic. Nothing earth shaking. Just flavorful.
      Some stuff like that is intended to be in the next dedicated setting book.


      I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        OK. They ripped out the thaumaturgy system.
        Thaumaturgy's there, it's just been changed to better reflect the setting as has been presented.

        Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        This isn't the end.
        The end of what?

        Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        Can I create makeup that adds dots to appearance temporarily.?
        If an Appearance 1 Lunar hunting down Helen of Troy to steal her shape doesn't raise her Appearance score, I don't see why some rouge and eyeshadow would do it.

        Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        What about hair changing dyes? Are these artifacts, or major projects?
        Hair dye goes back through nearly all of recorded history; I don't particularly see any reason for it to need to be an Artifact.

        Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        What about improvised explosive devices, that use bamboo and fire dust to explode? Artifact or major project?
        If you've already got the firedust, I'd make it a Basic project, but it'd function more like a flash or smoke grenade than a thermal detonator.

        Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        What about combat drugs?
        As long as they're fairly close to their real-world counterparts (and sufficiently ancient in origin), I once again see no reason to get the Artifact system involved.

        Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        How to make something out of the ordinary... Yet not an artifact.
        Ordinary is in the eye of the beholder.

        Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        I think there should be a space in game for low key magic. Nothing earth shaking. Just flavorful.
        Have you looked at thaumaturgy? That's pretty much what it's there for.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 02-27-2019, 09:45 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
          OK. They ripped out the thaumaturgy system.

          This isn't the end.

          Basically, the purpose of this thread is multiple. For example... Can I create makeup that adds dots to appearance temporarily.?

          What about hair changing dyes? Are these artifacts, or major projects? What about improvised explosive devices, that use bamboo and fire dust to explode? Artifact or major project? What about combat drugs?

          How to make something out of the ordinary... Yet not an artifact. I think there should be a space in game for low key magic. Nothing earth shaking. Just flavorful.
          * Make-up that adds dots to Appearance temporarily / combat drugs: I'd be very cautious on these, as they can very easily become 'must haves' for players trying to eke out every die from the system. For make-up, I'd generally assert that 'proper' makeup is heavily culture-and-context sensitive, and so you more get a penalty when you're trying to social fu someone in inappropriate attire than a bonus for being especially on point. I'd say those are examples of Exceptional Equipment (p 580) - the combat drugs might also be coupled with a downside, such as being a slow acting poison or something, and keeping the bonus to stuff like rolls to engage/disengage or Join Battle, not attack or defense values.

          * Improvised explosives sound like a Major Project to me, letting you do higher level Feats of Strength for destroying stuff.

          And the problem with 'nothing earth shaking, just flavorful' is that consequences can be tricky things to judge. If they can be relatively easily achieved absent the Exalted, you have to ask why they weren't already; if they can be relatively easily achieved by the Dragon-Blooded, you need to ask how common such things are within the Realm (or why the Realm doesn't take advantage of them).

          These are questions that can be answered- the stirrup was a relatively minor modification of a saddle design that had been in use for hundreds of years, but which radically improved the value of mounted fighters, and buttons weren't popular clothes-fasteners until the 13th century even though they'd been used as decorations for over two thousand years before. Sometimes obvious things are just overlooked. And the Exalted are supposed to change the world. But be ready for the world to change, in that case.



          My Storyteller Vault releases!
          Sorcerous Ways: Mystic Martial Arts - Punch people for magic power!
          These Mean Streets - Advise and systems for street-level punk-noir Vampire larp

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
            How to make something out of the ordinary... Yet not an artifact.
            Basically you find something out of the ordinary in a demesne, shadowland, wyld zone, first age ruin etc and attempt to harness it. Sometimes the magic goes away the moment you leave the area but other times it could endure for years.


            Onyx Path Forum Moderator
            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

            Comment


            • #7
              The new adversaries includes a thaumaturgy ritual to muck with a demesne in order to mutate people into frog men. Presumably you could use a similar principle for a bunch of other stuff.

              Comment


              • #8
                An example from one of our games.
                Our Dragon-Blooded characters are travelling through an area of desert where the sand is floating (apparently because of a demesne), my character has a moment of inspiration and asks her Hearth sister to use Volcano Cutter to see if the sand still floated when it was fused into glass. It did, and from there they proceeded to carve out a piece of it to be a hoverboard.
                Last edited by Lioness; 02-27-2019, 11:39 AM.


                Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                  An example from one of our games.
                  Our Dragon-Blooded characters are travelling through an area of desert where the sand is floating (apparently because of a demesne), my character has a moment of inspiration and asks her Hearth sister to use Volcano Cutter to see if the sand still floated when it was fused into glass. It did, and from there they proceeded to carve out a piece of it to be a hoverboard.
                  Does that count as an artifact?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                    Does that count as an artifact?

                    It counts as awesome


                    3e Scavenger Lands map
                    3e Combat tracker card
                    2e Nexus map

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Megapope View Post


                      It counts as awesome
                      That's the problem. With the current system, you can't make a surfboard like that without it as an artifact or sorcerous working. Which takes lots of time and resources. And doesn't fit.

                      I mean. Really? A hovering surfboard as a legendary artifact that requires communing between the crafter's essence and the artifacts god? Really?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It wasn't built as an artifact, but to people who've never encountered floating sand its properties are miraculous enough to be one.


                        Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                        Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                          That's the problem. With the current system, you can't make a surfboard like that without it as an artifact or sorcerous working. Which takes lots of time and resources. And doesn't fit.
                          Everyday Wonders, page 578-580 of the corebook, and also Natural Magics page 114-115 of Arms of the Chosen. Yes you can.


                          My homebrew: Abyssals, Infernals, Dragon Kings, martial arts.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                            I mean. Really? A hovering surfboard as a legendary artifact that requires communing between the crafter's essence and the artifacts god? Really?
                            If we hadn't encountered a place where the rules of reality were pretty warped, then the "easiest" way to get similar results my character would've been to coax out a specific effect from a piece of blue jade so that it floated in the air. I'm fine with the notion that this is extremely complicated.


                            Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X