The atmosphere of Abyssal Exalted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    Nothing is precariously perched over a hole so gigantic that you build around its rim without the possibility of building bridges over it. And who the fuck would build a metropolis on bridges over a gigantic, bottomless pit that leads down into the most horrible place anyone can imagine?

Like, what would possibly incentivize that behavior? Is it really so horrible if those people are building as close to it as possible?
    What would incentivize that behaviour? Deep unconscious urges towards self-annihilation. The whispers of dead gods burrowing into the back of your mind. A love of morbid melodrama, such as ghosts tend to have. Sincere love of the Neverborn. Or just the fact that many ghosts are barely conscious, act purely out of habit, and don't understand how insane living in Stygia is.

But if those aren't enough, the practical reasons as I understand them are (1) the need to maintain the giant clock atop the hole which keeps the Underworld from falling deeper into the abyss, and which requires massive manpower (ghostpower?) to worship/fuel it. And (2) it's the primary mine for soulfire crystals, which are necessary to make soulsteel. And mining in the labyrinth and forging soulsteel both require a large population.

It's a setting element I love, at least.

Comment

You never actually mention whether the city is built over the mouth of the hole, as opposed to on the solid ground around it.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Also, one of the charms of Single Point, Six-Demon Scabbard Binding refers to Eternal Nova cutting his way out of oblivion, so I will stubbornly believe it's still canon.
        The fact that someone cut their way out of it already proves its no longer the same as it was in 2E, though? The only thing indestructible enough to survive it in 2E were the exaltation shards.

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

Originally posted by Mizu View Post

The fact that someone cut their way out of it already proves its no longer the same as it was in 2E, though? The only thing indestructible enough to survive it in 2E were the exaltation shards.
          That's true. It's definitely better as a thing you can interact with, and potentially overcome.

Comment

Personally, I think Stygia being built above a hole into the Labyrinth is sufficiently bad mojo and there are spectres who can be negotiated (and presumably traded with) to varying degrees.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
              Personally, I think Stygia being built above a hole into the Labyrinth is sufficiently bad mojo and there are spectres who can be negotiated (and presumably traded with) to varying degrees.
              I think I agree, but you've gotten me to question whether "the Labyrinth" is even still a thing, in this fractured new version of the Underworld.

Is the Labyrinth one "island" of the Underworld, or a cthonic bridge between all of the "islands" that works as an alternative (potentially more dangerous) way to travel between them than the "seas"?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Indications are that it does from the Nephwrack and Mortwight write-ups, though the particulars could still be very different.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Contrary to the points listed here (perhaps unfortunately, since I see views of prevailing posters around here as being actually mechanically better for the theme and sanity of the game that's trying to be played) I'm most excited for a theme that's been dipped toe-in-the-water style towards the end of 2nd edition, the utility of Abyssals to the Underworld, but more (at least for me) the possible connection between reconciliation, the Abyssals and the Neverborn.

I grok that this isn't the direction the devs are planning to with the Abyssals, as the plan is to set the NB almost entirely out of the picture and push the Deathlords as more interesting/diverse patrons (which is cool, a good direction for this Exalt type).

But, were I to be fully honest about what gets me excited about running / playing, it's playing out a reconciliation narrative between mortals/gods/Primordials. Probably in the context of Primies this doesn't make much sense but to dash preconceptions about vast alien intelligences against the rocks for a moment, the idea that the very instruments of vengeance could be used instead to address a cosmic wound and through the melding of human mind with Primordial Demiuge(s) iiiiis, well, just kind of my bag. Beating swords into tourniquets, on a cosmic scale, sounds very-very cool to me.

As far as what I'm (actually) looking forward, charm wise, I'd love to see a return of charms that fulfill the function (though unlikely the form, given the mechanical difference tween editions) of The Old Laws. I'd love to see Abyssal charms that celebrate their status as something new and un-conceived in the cosmos.

I'm not sure how that's going to look given that Abyssals source directly from Deathlords now, but I'm eager to find out. Definitely would love to see Abyssal charms that don't have the "must be this much of a dick to use" stipulation attached..

Blasphemy? No, it is not blasphemy. If God is as vast as that, he is above blasphemy; if He is as little as that, He is beneath it.
                  - Mark Twain, a Biography

Comment

Originally posted by Janissary87 View Post
                    Contrary to the points listed here (perhaps unfortunately, since I see views of prevailing posters around here as being actually mechanically better for the theme and sanity of the game that's trying to be played) I'm most excited for a theme that's been dipped toe-in-the-water style towards the end of 2nd edition, the utility of Abyssals to the Underworld, but more (at least for me) the possible connection between reconciliation, the Abyssals and the Neverborn.

I grok that this isn't the direction the devs are planning to with the Abyssals, as the plan is to set the NB almost entirely out of the picture and push the Deathlords as more interesting/diverse patrons (which is cool, a good direction for this Exalt type).

But, were I to be fully honest about what gets me excited about running / playing, it's playing out a reconciliation narrative between mortals/gods/Primordials. Probably in the context of Primies this doesn't make much sense but to dash preconceptions about vast alien intelligences against the rocks for a moment, the idea that the very instruments of vengeance could be used instead to address a cosmic wound and through the melding of human mind with Primordial Demiuge(s) iiiiis, well, just kind of my bag. Beating swords into tourniquets, on a cosmic scale, sounds very-very cool to me.

As far as what I'm (actually) looking forward, charm wise, I'd love to see a return of charms that fulfill the function (though unlikely the form, given the mechanical difference tween editions) of The Old Laws. I'd love to see Abyssal charms that celebrate their status as something new and un-conceived in the cosmos.
                    I agree. I like the mix cosmic horror and the cosmic wonder of this approach.

Originally posted by Janissary87 View Post
                    I'm not sure how that's going to look given that Abyssals source directly from Deathlords now, but I'm eager to find out. Definitely would love to see Abyssal charms that don't have the "must be this much of a dick to use" stipulation attached.
                    YES!

Comment

What I liked about the Neverborn is that despite their vast unknowable alien-ness, their pathos came across as very human. The way the webcomic Chorus of the Neverborn portrayed them was neat,having this weird, sometimes heartwarming, sometimes codependent, sometimes awkward familial relationship with those who could hear the Whispers. Like even when they were being nihilistic douchebags, they felt like big confused cthulhu grandparents. There was a scene where a Nephwrack was having black comedy self-esteem issues due to being unable to harvest organs and the Neverborn were like: "We believe in you Xylor. We belieeeveee...." and as dark as that moment was, was compelling in its own way. The Neverborn as alien, insane patrons who the Abyssals can try and temporarily comfort for their favor would be an interesting one. Since they're not exactly conscious nor sane, you could have parts of them wanting to protect things in Creation that resonate with their memories and have heroic Abyssals mediating between those personalities and the ones that are all KILLMURDERDEATH. Appeasing the hateful parts of the Neverborn so the more sympathetic parts shine through.
                      Last edited by HamSandLich; 03-07-2019, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X