Shaping Rituals and Sorcerous Initiations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaping Rituals and Sorcerous Initiations

Y'all should know by now I'm a big sorcery fan. After the release of the Lunar sorcery stuff this Tuesday I decided there's finally enough material out there between the Core book, the Dragon-blooded book, and the Lunars book to just compile everything into a single document... which I did. Since it's copy-pasted from the books, I'm pretty sure I can't post it here. BUT it got me looking more deeply at comparing, contrasting, and just generally thinking about Shaping Rituals and Sorcerous Initiations.

Here's what we have so far:
    Core book
    • Bargain with Mara
    • Pact with an Ifrit Lord
    • Scarred by Nightmares
    • Soul-Perfecting Elixir
    • The Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes
    Dragon-Blooded book
    • Student of the Heptagram
    • Wanasaan Exorcist
    Lunars book
    • Raksi's Tutelage
    • The Jasmine Gems of Mishiko
    • Root-Lore
    My favorite Initiation is easily the Pact with an Ifrit Lord, and my favorite Shaping Ritual is drawing motes from a source of fire. Its a great source of stunt fodder when shaping spells, and I've even used it strategically at the start of combat by snuffing out all the candles in a room so my spell casts in sudden darkness.

As my fire-breaking Twilight approaches Essence 3, I am compelled to consider how he should initiate into the Celestial Circle. I'm leaning towards The Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes (all around useful) or the Soul-Perfecting Elixir (mostly for the merits) but I find some fun stuff in all of them.

So what are YOUR favorite Shaping rituals and Sorcerous Initiations? Why do you like them? Have they inspired some interesting new homebrew? Tell me about them! Constructive criticism about particular Initiations or Rituals is permitted, but this is largely a positive thread about Sorcery.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Sorcerer's harvest from Root Lore is basically a Wood-element version of the first shaping ritual of Pact with an Ifrit Lord (which I just realised has no name. None of the corebook rituals do.)

So I kind of want to come up with initiations that include water, earth and air versions of the idea now.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
      Sorcerer's harvest from Root Lore is basically a Wood-element version of the first shaping ritual of Pact with an Ifrit Lord (which I just realised has no name. None of the corebook rituals do.)

So I kind of want to come up with initiations that include water, earth and air versions of the idea now.
      There was a minor effort at this back when the first backer preview of the core book came out a few years back. I always think it's worth the effort. Though mostly it was aimed with reskinning The Burning Name to different elements, it has a broad scope of appeal among the other merits as well.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post

Additionally, I just realized that Sorcerer's Harvest, in direct comparison to the Pact equivalent is possibly objectively worse. You can only draw from each source once per day, whereas you can draw from the same source (provided it's large enough) multiple times with the Pact version for the same number of motes. Thoughts on that?

Comment

It's probably because it doesn't diminish the plants and it's a lot less dangerous to stand in a forest than in a bonfire.

Comment

And you're more likely to be standing near a plant than some fire.

For water, the Wanasaan initiation has a ritual where you submerge yourself in saltwater.
            I could well imagine an aquamancer meditating under a waterfall or something.

My characters:
            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

I made a Solar Sorcerer initiation by taking an inverted piece of Mara's initiation, pieces of the Pact with an Ifrit Lord, and the merits of the Mice of the Sun to create the "Covenant of the Sun", which drew some inspiration from Dark Souls' Warrior of Sunlight Covenant.

I did not write up Sunlight Spear as a spell.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

I think my favourite initiation and shaping ritual is the Heptagram and Sevenfold Art Invocation, just for the classic Doctor Strange calling on mystical powers beyond space and time with precise thought, action and words.

In fact I’ve been thinking of adapting the spells seen in the movies into Exalted sorcereries if anyone would be interested in seeing that.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                  I think my favourite initiation and shaping ritual is the Heptagram and Sevenfold Art Invocation, just for the classic Doctor Strange calling on mystical powers beyond space and time with precise thought, action and words.

In fact I’ve been thinking of adapting the spells seen in the movies into Exalted sorcereries if anyone would be interested in seeing that.
                  I would enjoy seeing that!

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

I'd love to see that too. And now makes me think we need to see initiations based on having the Infinity Gauntlet and the various stones.

Comment

I was happy to find that the Bargain with Mara initiation had themes and benefits that allowed me to simulate an Infernal sorcerer/swordsman (inspired by Yrkoon) using the core rules. That ritual that involves stealing the souls of people you seduce and exchanging them for power reminded me of the way Melniboneans were depicted sacrificing slaves to fuel sorcery in Michael Moorcock's Elric Vol. 1: The Ruby Throne, and dovetails with the character's background as a son of privilege from Ysyr. The Infernal Nobility merit in particular should come in quite handy for a sorcerer who interacts a lot with demons, and I love the aesthetics of demonic tattoos even though I wasn't able to do anything practical with them at chargen.

Comment

The corebook had a shaping ritual based on strong weather that could work as an air-aspected version

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          And you're more likely to be standing near a plant than some fire.
                          What are you, some kinda coward who's afraid of arson?
                          I'm refluffing Root-Lore for a rat-shape Lunar sorcerer who's more of a city rat. They dig around in the trash and find some old chicken feet, and then later it turns out that old chicken feet is exactly what they needed to cast Flight of Separation. Or they never end up using it, and they get a free snack of chicken feet instead. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

But sexually.

Comment

I really like Scarred by the Nightmares from the Core book. I picked both Terrestrial and Celestial shaping rituals from it, so my Twilight has a Derangement and can leech off emotions.
                            She believes an unshaped raksha is living in her head and that it is actually the one performing the sorcery. Running out of Willpower causes this other personality to manifest.

I've told my ST that I don't know, whether my Twilight really has a raksha in her mind or if she's just delusional. But he's free to choose either way, if it serves the story.

Comment

My favorite would be The Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes, just because I really like the idea of sorcerous artifacts like that. Bargain with Mara is really fun with the demonic tattoos too, but the shaping rituals for that one aren't great for the characters I tend to play.

Though now that we have Raksi's Tutelage, that might actually be one of my new favorites. Both nice merits and shaping rituals.

I've actually played sorcerers with the Talisman initiation, as well as one with a homebrew sorcerous artifact that was basically just Jafar's staff from the Disney Alladin movie, and I had one kind of weird sorcerer who had an entirely homebrewed initiation involving their split personality (their personalities were at odds a lot, but could commit motes to grant the other personality sorcerous motes when they switched control)

Sorcerer of the Scarlet Throne & Unbound Lunar Demiurge.

Comment

Working...
                              X