An Aura Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Aura Question

I feel like someone must have asked this before or I’m just being dense so I didn’t want to clog the ask the dev’s thread with it:
    If I use a charm with the Aura keyword and a non-Instant duration that isn’t Aura, do I lose its benefits if I leave the Aura? Body Of Deadly Thorns for instance is a grapple length charm and has the Aura keyword (rather than duration: aura) if I leave wood Aura on the second round of the grapple does it end? I suspect not because the rules only say you need to be in Aura to activate a charm with that keyword.

Originally posted by JiveX View Post
    the rules only say you need to be in Aura to activate a charm with that keyword.
    It technically says that you need to be in the Aura to use the Charm. I believe there would be a statement elsewhere clarifying that this means that ending an Aura takes the Charm down with it, I shall endeavour to find it.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

There could be scene-long Charms which would lose their Aura effects if you lose the Aura, but only if they have explicitly graduated effects. If the Charm just requires you to have an Aura to invoke the Charm, it shouldn't be affected by losing the Aura unless it has a duration of "Aura".

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
        There could be scene-long Charms which would lose their Aura effects if you lose the Aura, but only if they have explicitly graduated effects. If the Charm just requires you to have an Aura to invoke the Charm, it shouldn't be affected by losing the Aura unless it has a duration of "Aura".
        That’s my interpretation as well but I can’t find it spelled out explicitly and I’m basically just going of implications from the writing.

I know when I write mechanics I tend to over explain things to my own detriment but sometimes I wish wordcount wasn’t an issue:/

Somewhat relatedly, do Charms with the Perilous keyword deactivate while crashed? Or can they simply not be activated. I’ve always assumed they ended but it’s not actually stated anyplace I can find
        Last edited by JiveX; 02-28-2019, 07:34 PM.

Comment

That’s my interpretation as well but I can’t find it spelled out explicitly and I’m basically just going of implications from the writing.

I know when I write mechanics I tend to over explain things to my own detriment but sometimes I wish wordcount wasn’t an issue:/

Somewhat relatedly, do Charms with the Perilous keyword deactivate while crashed? Or can they simply not be activated. I’ve always assumed they ended but it’s not actually stated anyplace I can find
          I also feel like in the spirit of the charm they must deactivate, although I haven’t seen any definitive I’ve reply.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
            I also feel like in the spirit of the charm they must deactivate, although I haven’t seen any definitive I’ve reply.
            If that were true, there wouldn't be a point to having "Aura" durations.

The common ground between Aura of Grasping Branches and Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit is that they both require you to have the right Aura to use at all. The difference is that only Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit ends when you lose that Aura. Grasping Branches continues to work fine because it has a scene-length duration and doesn't specify that it loses any power when you lose the Wood Aura.

Comment

The common ground between Aura of Grasping Branches and Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit is that they both require you to have the right Aura to use at all. The difference is that only Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit ends when you lose that Aura. Grasping Branches continues to work fine because it has a scene-length duration and doesn't specify that it loses any power when you lose the Wood Aura.
              Body of Deadly Thorns is a better example as aura of grasping branches lacks the Aura keyword

Comment

Body of Deadly Thorns is a better example as aura of grasping branches lacks the Aura keyword
                My mistake, got the two mixed up.

My point still stands. We don't want to lose levels of detail like this.

Level 1: Requires no Aura to invoke, is not empowered by Aura

Level 2: Requires no Aura to invoke, is empowered by Aura

Level 3: Requires Aura to invoke, because you need to spend the Aura

Level 4: Requires Aura to invoke, ends without Aura

Level 5: Requires Aura to invoke, but merely loses power without Aura

Level 6: Requires Aura to invoke, but loses no power without Aura

Comment

Yes, when I started looking back over the rules, that discrepancy in my assumptions stood out to me in a way that it had not before.

I'm actually interested to look back over the Charms, and see if a few Aura keyword scene-long Charms come across differently with this clarification in mind.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Answered in ask the devs:
                    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                    No, unless it has "Duration: Aura."

No, unless it specifically says so.

Comment

Actually, let me reverse levels 3-6.

Level 1: Requires no Aura to invoke, is not empowered by Aura

Level 2: Requires no Aura to invoke, is empowered by Aura

Level 3: Requires Aura to invoke, but loses no power without Aura

Level 4: Requires Aura to invoke, but loses some power without Aura

Level 5: Requires Aura to invoke, ends completely without Aura

Level 6: Requires Aura to invoke, because you need to spend the Aura

Comment

Working...
                      X