Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nation state whose primary economy is medical care - how would it look like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone: please remember Exalted is in the bronze age. Life is rather... Nasty there.

Medicine is what we would charitably call 'not very advanced'

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      .... I know exactly what a honeypot is. We even have our own analogue.

What I meant was, in what way is the town/ city a honeypot trap? Because that wasn't my intention.

Like... Its meant to be benign. Its just that when you're in the bronze age, suddenly having something that gives you near modern medical service is something that acts like nice plot hooks are conflict instigators.

Oh, it could be benign. It could absolutely be played that way.

It likely speaks a lot about me that I want to turn your idea about a benign idea about a city based solely on helping people into an antagonist of some fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Navar View Post

Oh, it could be benign. It could absolutely be played that way.

It likely speaks a lot about me that I want to turn your idea about a benign idea about a city based solely on helping people into an antagonist of some fashion.
        .... What were your plans?

Comment

.... What were your plans?
          Just spitballing really.

The scenario that seems to be the simplest though would go like:

Have the city look like paradise. Have everyone believe that the city is a paradise where sick people come from far and wide to visit and get better. Some people die there sure, but with so many sick people it is to be expected.

Turns out there is a rogue god who is a life force/psychic energy vampire. They cure people, but they use the lure of the city to draw an everlasting supply of fresh victims to gather fresh souls/bodies/anguish/etc.

If this is a minor encounter then the PCs uncover the real reason for the city and have to decide to kill the god or not. The god does do lots of good for lots of people, but a small number of people have to die for this to happen. This can be framed however you want. The hook could even bee someone one of the PCs has an intimate tie to becoming ill and the PCs hearing about this city where they can go to have their loved one healed.

Or this can be the culmination of a story and when the PCs arrive the god has finally acquired the souls/bodies/anguish/etc. they need and now their MacGuffin is about to explode/empower them/etc. The PCs would have to fight through hordes of loyal subjects who believe that they are doing good protecting the healers or bestial mutants who have been infected by the healer.

OR it could just be a Lotus-Eater Machine designed solely to be a city of healing and hedonism (like someone said no hangovers or overdoses and no worries about STDs) Fighting pits???? Sounds like a grand idea when there is little consequence of injury. The PCs could be on a mission with a time-sensitive element and this city could just be on the road there. They spend a few nights in the brothels, maybe a patron pays for them to have a couple of weeks at one of the best hotels. If they take the bait then their adversaries become stronger/achieve their goals/get an infinity stone/etc.

Again there are a few ways this could go if you wanted to make the OP idea malevolent.

Comment

Maybe you can draw some inspiration from Drum Island from One Piece.

Join the Strife

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              Maybe you can draw some inspiration from Drum Island from One Piece.
              Yeah. It is.

Comment

Everyone: please remember Exalted is in the bronze age. Life is rather... Nasty there.

Medicine is what we would charitably call 'not very advanced'
                How is it in the Bronze Age? Iron and steel are frequently mentioned, the "Triremes" in the setting are far more advanced than any ships built in antiquity. There's a bunch of other things in the setting that are post-renaissance level technology, such as telescopes or clockwork.

And even if it is Bronze Age, it's not like medicine advanced much at all until the 19th century.

Comment

It's especially not as if there was exactly one standard of quality for medicinal practices worldwide at a given point in history. Some groups have had some pretty advanced ideas, while others were guilty of some very unhealthy practices.

Comment

Alright fine then. This idea is a flop. I had no idea Creation had modern. Medicine.

Comment

I had no idea Creation had modern. Medicine.
                      That doesn't even resemble what I said, and you know it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                        That doesn't even resemble what I said, and you know it.
                        Well. You said advanced. How advanced? Can they undo necrosis and sepsis? What about infected wounds? Reconstructive surgery? What about antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicine? Do they wash their hands? What about brass and silver door handles? What about organ and blood transplants?

When a bone is broken, how fast do they recover, if at all? Are they crippled for life or walk with a limp? Can they do skin grafts or remove cancer?

If the answer to these is no, then it's not advanced medicine.

Comment

Note: This is the first time I'm writing a manse. This is probably not very good.

Set in the lowlands, in the middle of a valley right next to a river, protected by two mountains, lies a manse. The aspect is Wood, and it is composed out of a mixture of green jade, wood, and glass. The manse is low-setting, a simple shrine without even a roof. Wood essence pulses through the jade and tints the glassy columns green, and at night, the manse glows in the dark. The river right beside it powers a water wheel, moving a prayer wheel inscribed with prayers to the gods of health, medicinal herbs, and doctors. Several guards patrol daily, never resting, spears at the ready, green lamellar armour shining in the sun.

The manse is the valley's greatest asset, as well as its most notable feature. Set by a dragonblooded sorcerer as a source of thaumaturgical and alchemical supplies, and left unattended after his death by an infernal akuma, the manse has endured from since living memory. The manse allows the valley to create vast amounts of medical supplies, with a contract with the guild enabling them to sell it to a wider market than they could achieve themselves. A small tradition has sprung up, a native association of doctors and herbalists, taking advantage of one of Creation's best sources of medicinal plants to educate themselves and to practice producing medicines and alchemical supplies. They hope that, if they practice and improve enough, they can produce their own products and medicine and sell them at a higher price, instead of having to sell the guild the raw materials.

Manse powers: the blessing of doctors

Within a 3 mile radius, all crops, plants, or herbs, with medicinal properties are enhanced. No matter their native climate, whether they belong in the western sea or the frozen North, can live there. The amount of medicine produced are triplicated, and any medicine, drug, or tincture is enhanced, adding 2 successes to any roll involving them.

Drawback: This applies only to ones with medicinal properties. Any food crops, such as rice, wheat, or potatoes, do not grow well, appearing withered and stunted. Any plant product used as food, will taste bland, and has their nutritional value cut in half.

Comment

Working...
                          X