Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Ex 3 Lunars] Glorious Argent Beastiary! (A Lunar's Character Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In other words, doing what the Karmeus Bird has been doing since Second Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      In other words, doing what the Karmeus Bird has been doing since Second Edition.
      Well, yeah, but y'know as a PC tactic with all the mechanics?

Comment

the Karmeus Bird
        What's that?

My characters:
        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
        Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
          What's that?
          It's a hideous, Wyld-mutated bird found in Nexus. They have a penchant for seizing prey, taking it up somewhere high, and dropping it onto a hard surface.

Comment

Aguile Ofidian

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/kiguri/ar...taur-665325674 (Please commission this individual to do Lunars Companion art!)

So let me tell you about a build that uses the strongest power in Exalted.

No, its not the Incarnae, nor the Primordial Wyld nor even the Charms of the Solar Exalted.

Its GRAVITY. For your reference I append the falling environmental rules here:

Fall Distance, Levels, Damage Dice
            Close None None
            Short 3B 5B
            Medium 4L 7B
            Long 5-7L 8-12L
            Extreme 7-10L 10-14L

So for example if you fall from Medium distance and don't have any way to halt your fall: Parachute, lucky branch, charms e.t.c., you will take 4L LEVELS of damage. That's 4 health boxes, no argument. And on top of that 7B dice of damage that IGNORE HARDNESS. Its around 7 HL basically guaranteed. Its insane.

Now normally, you only get this in a fight if you push someone off a cliff or something, but what if I was to tell you that you could expose enemies to this environmental hazard at least every other round? Here are the key moving parts:

1. The Wings Mutation (so that you can take to the sky)
            2. The Constrictor Mutation (so that instead of the pricey Restrain/Drag grapple maneuver, which costs two rounds of control and your action, you can just drag when you want with your reflexive move action for one round of control and save your action for like, say, Throw/Slam)

Here are the Nice to Haves:

1. Legendary Size (No contest control rolls in grapple mean lots of rounds of control)
            2. Grapple Enhancers
            3. Some grapple enhancing Martial Arts (Falcon is the most synergistic)

So without further ado, my build:

Aguile Ofidiano

Caste: Full Moon
            Spirit Shape: Eagle/ Giant Constrictor
            Tell: Wings OOOOO

Attributes

Physical: Primary
            Strength OOOOO (Favored)
            Dex OO
            Stamina OOOOO (Favored)

Social: Tertiary
            Charisma OOOOO (Favored)
            Manipulation O
            Appearance OO

Mental: Secondary
            Intelligence OO
            Wits OOOOO
            Perception OOO (Favored)

Abilities (4 BP spent)

Martial Arts (Falcon Style) OOOOO
            Athletics OOO
            Join Battle OOO
            Brawl O

Anything else is more or less free choice. You have 18 dots to customize your character however you want.

Merits (4 BP spent)

Martial Arts OOOO
            Wings OOOOO
            Artifact (Moonsilver Chain Shirt) OOO
            Hearthstone (Sphere of the Revolutionary Dog) OO

Charms

Excellencies:

Strength
            Dexterity
            Stamina
            Charisma
            Appearance
            Perception
            Wits

Universal:

Hybrid Body Transformation: This is a key charms because it provides you access to all the mutations you need/want to become a whirlwind of grappling and slamming.

Chimera Soul Expression: Just to add more mutation points to the mix. I'll now provide a list of mutations that I chose from the 12 point pool.

- Constrictor OOO (As mentioned, key to moving straight up for a cheaper cost in control rounds, also allows you to move without first spending an action, this is key as we will see)
            - Claws OOOO (Are useful for their increased damage when you need to hit as well as the +1 defense you get as a Medium Weapon. This becomes the only medium weapon we can use with a later strength charm as we will see)
            - Extra Limbs / Centaur OOOOO (Against non-mounted/non heavy weapon using enemies, this is +1 to hit and + 1 to defense, all the time basically)
            Alternatively
            - Unusual Hide OOOOO (the most cost effective soak in the game)

Note: I'm sure some of you are asking: Why not Beast-mode? (shapeshift into a Tyrant Lizard and be a grapple master) The simple reason is that you need a range of mutations that none of the canonical animal shapes will provide you (Until Legendary Sized beasties comes out with both Wings and Constrictor, I suppose)

Strength:

Deadly Claw Blow: Allows use to use our Strength for our Attack calculations for our Natural Weapons and our Unarmed strike (instead of Dex), the best thing here is that you can parry with your claws (+1 defence) and attack with your Unarmed Strike (+4 accuracy) for the best of both worlds if needed.

Grizzly Bear Embrace: The first in a line of many "Grapple Good" Charms.

Towering Beast Form: Is nice for the Tyrant Lizard form, which is a legit combat form for us, but is better because it is a pre-req for...

Mountainous Spirit Expression: Essence 2 but we can pick it thanks to the Glory Sphere. This is our panic button, we basically become an unstoppable behemoth that can grapple most everything and take less damage and no onslaught from everyone at this point.

Stamina:

Steel Paw Style: Allows you to use Stamina instead of Dex (since we are not focusing Dex thanks to Deadly Claw Blow) for Parry Calculations, I'll do a quick rundown of total resting parry later, its quite good.

Ox Body Technique: With 5 Stamina, this is as good as it's ever going to be.

Appearance:

Subtle Silver Declaration: Allows you to Hide your Tell, perfectly, generally useful indeed.

Moon's Hidden Face: This is key. Normally HBT is a pain in the ass to activate in combat because Simple activation. But with this you can declare all your mutations Subtle for a cheap 2m and walk around with them all the time. Then, you can drop commitment reflexively on your turn in combat and guess what, Monster mode!

Wits:

Desert Basilisc Diadem: Just a handy, dandy socket for my Sphere of the Revolutionary Dog

Radiant Basilisc Jewel: A whole raft of benefits, 4 extra mote drip per hour outside combat (useful if you want to spend all day as a giant) and a Greater Hearthstone that can't be removed. I pick the Glory Sphere, to represent our ever-upward reaching nature. This allows us to pick 1 Essence 2 charm.

Dexterity:

Sinuous Striking Grace: This a great charm, it gives you a virtual +5 to init each round so that basically means you can pick if you want to go first. You don't even need a high Dex to benefit from it! (Either Wits or Dex, and we have High Wits for Join Battle)

Agile Beast Defense: A good workhorse charm to boost our defense.

Falcon Style:

Swift Talon Strike: A nice workhorse charm that gives a success to attack for 2m (pays for itself) and lets you reroll 1s on the damage roll/grapple control roll until they disappear. If you come down from a range band up to attack (this is important) you reroll 1s and 2s until they disappear. You will more or less always get the reroll 1s and 2s for reasons I will enumerate.

Nuts and Bolts:

- So as you can see I left 7 BP to play around with, you could buy up more merits (like whichever of Centaur or Unusual Hide you didn't have) or max Perception or all kinds of fun stuff.

- The basic (ish) scheme of combat is this:

1. You grapple someone (hopefully in Legendary Size but for weaker enemies it's not a massive deal)
            2. You move up Reflexively with your move action, and your foe follows due to Constrictor. And spend 1 round of control.
            3. You use the Throw/Slam action in grapple (which you can do once you've established your grapple) to decisively/witheringly throw your foe straight at the ground. Foe takes your your decisive/withering damage (depends if you want to keep your Init high) from the throw/slam and a bit of Mustard on the side in the form of 3 Bashing LEVELS of health and 5B dice of damage that ignore hardness.
            4. Next turn you fly down to them and land and attack and activate Swift Talon Strike from Falcon Style for all the rerolls.
            5. Repeat step 1-4.

Note: If needed, as long as you have rounds of control remaining, you can keep flying up and up and access the higher ranks of falling damage, the example I provided here gives a nice 3B/5B bonus on top of your own throw/slam in the same round that the grapple is initiated, so I appreciate the efficiency.

- Parry is quite good if you are a 'taur at (5 Stamina + 5 MA + 1 Specialty (Falcon Style) + 2 (Stunt Dice))/2 = 7 + 1 (Medium Weapon: Claw) + 1 (Centaur) = 9 Parry DV before even a single point of essence is spent.

I'll come and put in any refinements later - charms that need to be/are nice to take are obvious in Str/Sta and Falcon Style.
            Last edited by prototype00; 06-29-2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Awesome build. I think you could get away without using Legendary form most of the time, but it’s certainly handy to have available.

Can I just say that it is Wild that a Lunar in an Ape form is totally unable to use any Martial Arts but HBTing into a Winged Centaur causes no imprediment whatsoever?

Comment

Originally posted by Maseiken View Post
                Awesome build. I think you could get away without using Legendary form most of the time, but it’s certainly handy to have available.
                Completely agree, this is for when Deebs want to 3v1 you or some other such numerical nonsense or you are actually fighting another Legendary Sized Creature.

Can I just say that it is Wild that a Lunar in an Ape form is totally unable to use any Martial Arts but HBTing into a Winged Centaur causes no imprediment whatsoever?
                It was, a bit, I was actually thinking (based on the illustration up there) "Okay... but what is she actually Lucha Libre-ing with....?"

By the by just in case anyone was wondering about the Wings -3 to all combat actions, let me just state that you do most of your fighting/grabbing on the ground, then you go up into the air. Ironically, since no actions are rolled for throw/slam (its just a straight Init roll) you take no penalties for doing it while flying as far as I understand.

prototype00

Comment

It's a good tactic in white rooms where there's nothing with which to interact, but since the falling rules also encourage allowing a character with a good stunt to mitigate a fall with a roll, I'd argue it's hardly "the strongest power in Exalted."

Comment

It's a good tactic in white rooms where there's nothing with which to interact, but since the falling rules also encourage allowing a character with a good stunt to mitigate a fall with a roll, I'd argue it's hardly "the strongest power in Exalted."
                    I mean, all the mitigation seems to rely on things being there to catch you or a soft landing being available.

I'm sure there will be some give and take between Storyteller and Player, but it is also well within the player's with this character's purview to say as a stunt "With my Hawk-like vision, I scope out a particularly inhospitable piece of ground with no convenient outs to pancake this guy." The rules also, bless them, provide for throwing your foe into a pile of rusty knives.

Another arrow in the quiver of tactics with really minimal investment over a regular Lunar Falcon Style grappler is probably no bad thing.

Edit: Though just like all things, there are adverserial Storytellers ( I saw a couple on Discord) who will go out of their way to discount a combat tactic that is too out of the box for them.

If so, if every locale bristles with convenient handholds to catch yourself for no good reason, I fully recommend not playing this character.

Edit, second of his name: I would assume that even if they caught themselves, they would mitigate the fall damage, but not the throw/slam damage as there is nothing in the rules providing for the reduction of damage from decisive attacks short of specific charm effects. (Presumably they still land heavily enough to take that damage)

Edit, the third: If it wasn't clear from the delivery, I was exaggerating the power of this tactic for comedic/entertainment value. I think it is good enough to deserve a build, to be sure, but I'm pretty sure it is just about as valid as all the other tactics in Exalted, like swording an enemy to death.
                    Last edited by prototype00; 06-29-2019, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Hmm, just wondering if it would be worthwhile to splash Tiger Style OOO for Striking Fury Claws to help shore up Aguile’s admittedly not the best Withering Damage...

Also, what would be the best Ess 3 Charm to cheat out at the start of Ess2 with the Glory Sphere...
                      Last edited by prototype00; 06-29-2019, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post

If so, if every locale bristles with convenient handholds to catch yourself for no good reason, I fully recommend not playing this character.
                        Maybe something like:
                        Originally posted by Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
                        'Madam,' said Mr Wonka, 'it is not a lift any longer. Lifts only go up and down inside buildings. But now that it has taken us up into the sky, it has become an ELEVATOR. It is THE GREAT GLASS ELEVATOR.'
                        'And what keeps it up?' said Grandma Josephine. 'Skyhooks,' said Mr Wonka.

Comment

Originally posted by Maseiken View Post
                          Maybe something like:
                          Yeah, the Great Celestial Skyhook working... totally legit....

Next up Tiger Tiger stylist...

Comment

BTW has any of you ever tried to actually build a Lunar that does try to make fighting in animal shapes her shtick?
                            Because the whole attack pool thing in animal shapes, with a maximum of their pool + 1 if your stats are decent, and using the same pool for withering and decisive attacks just makes the entire endeavor seem really hamstrung to me..?
                            Did I overlook something? Are there like a ton of animals out there with good accuracy? Did I overlook a charm that actually lets you beef up your accuracy properly, and cheaply?
                            Admittedly, I've read Lunars only once, but still, figured someone's tried harder than me, and might be willing to share..?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                              Because the whole attack pool thing in animal shapes, with a maximum of their pool + 1 if your stats are decent, and using the same pool for withering and decisive attacks just makes the entire endeavor seem really hamstrung to me..?
                              It's your pool with +1 accuracy (+2 with Claws of the Silver Moon), not the animals pool. Animal pools are never a cap.

With that said.

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                              BTW has any of you ever tried to actually build a Lunar that does try to make fighting in animal shapes her shtick?
                              Yes. The stuff you get access to for 2 BP of hearts blood and 4m commited is kind of ridiculous.
                              Last edited by limaxophobiac; 07-05-2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by limaxophobiac View Post

It's your pool with +1 accuracy (+2 with Claws of the Silver Moon), not the animals pool. Animal pools are never a cap.
                                Ah lol it's my pool? That explains that.

Are we sure about that, though?
                                The book says:
                                "If her (Dexterity + Brawl) pool is higher than the attack pool for a natural weapon, her withering attacks with it gain +1 Accuracy."
                                Kind of sounds like "it" could be either my attacks with my brawl pool, or with the attack pool of the natural weapon..?
                                And still means meh accuracy with withering attacks, though admittedly much better than what I thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X