Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Ex 3 Lunars] Glorious Argent Beastiary! (A Lunar's Character Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Illithid View Post
    Isn't there any charms to hide armour, or are they all at higher Essence?
    Well, not exactly.

Many-Pockets Meditation allows the Lunar to elsewhere-banish any item light enough to hold or wear. Quicksilver Armor Approach allows the armor to be donned in one turn.

But, you cannot hide your armor and wear it too.

Comment

Kylina Sele (Final Draft) Once more from the top. This one will be the cat's meow, promise.
      Spirit Shape: Cat/Scarab
      Tell: Silent Movement OOO

Attributes

Physical (Primary
      ) (3bp spent)

Strength OOOOO
      Dex OOOOO (Favored)
      Sta OOO

Social (Secondary)

Charisma OO
      Manipulation OOOOO (Favored)
      Appearance OOO (Favored)

Mental (Tertiary)

Perception OO
      Intelligence OOO
      Wits OOO (Favored)

Abilities (8bp spent)

Athletics OO
      Awareness OOO
      Brawl OOOOO (Specialty: Claw)
      Dodge OOOOO (Specialty: Tiny/Miniscule Forms)
      Integrity O
      Larceny OOO
      Linguistics O
      Occult OOO
      Presence OOO
      Socialize OOO (Specialty: Cat Got your Tongue?)
      Stealth OOO (Specialty: Tiny/Miniscule Forms)

Merits (4 bp spent)

Artifact (Belt of Shadow Walking) OOO
      Hearthstone (Stone of Resilient Bamboo) OO
      Heart's Blood O
      Stolen Faces O
      Silent Movement OOO (Tell)
      Latent: Underfoot Menace

Charms

Excellencies: (Yes, she has Excellencies in all attributes. She is literally omni-capable. No, it wasn't easy, as you'll soon see)

Strength
      Dexterity
      Stamina
      Charisma
      Manipulation
      Appearance
      Perception
      Intelligence
      Wits

Universal:

Quicksilver Second Face: Never be left without your battle form.

Chimera Soul Expression: Kylina Sele is not merely a thorn in the side of the rich and cruel, she is an agent provocateur and a bringer of change, and so the Scarab, symbol of Death and Rebirth also becomes her. In battle, this gives her Unusual Hide OOOOO (as her skin takes on an almost onyx like hardness) and Mighty Thew O (as her compact form surges with strength). (Burrower OO would be perfect but I can't afford to take Unusual Hide OOOO can I?)

Stamina:

Impenetrable Beast Armor/Durant Quicksilver Adaptation: The wonder combination is the basis of Lunar Soak. In this case, we are hoping we don't get hit (9-10 Evasion), but if we do, this should take some of the edge off.

So something I didn't realize, Soak enhancement isn't actually limited by your Excellency limit, its just that there are rules about how you can apply your Excellency, but it all stacks with Impenetrable Beast Armor.

So Base 3 + Unusual Hide 5 + Impenetrable Beast Armor 3 (for 3 motes) + Stamina Excellency 4 (for 4 motes) + Resilient Bamboo Hearthstone 2 = 17 Ha! That's almost respectable! And of course you can pick up ISOB for another +6 if you know things are going to get dicey, bringing the total to 23, now that's decent Lunar Soak.

Note: The Stamina Excellency you don't have to activate until after you see how many successes your opponent rolled.

Dexterity:

Agile Beast Defense: Our 1m workhorse will always give us +1 to Evasion and we can apply it after we see what our foe rolls (if it isn't 9, don't bother)

Bending Before the Storm: Our Onslaught Negator.

Charisma:

Argent Songbird Voice: Our omni-applicable success-on-social actions generator.

Debt of Borrowed Skin: Our altruistic method of stealing other people's faces. A thief with a heart of gold, indeed.

Perception:

Perceiving the Hidden World: Not only does this let us see immaterial, as a Cat we auto-detect out to Long Range!

Spirit Rending Fury: For 1 mote per attack, this lets us attack with impunity with the Belt of Shadow Walking if the enemy can't strike Immaterial.

Wits:

Desert Basilisc Diadem: Gives us a handy slot for our Resilient Bamboo Hearthstone (hopefully the ST will allow it to either be Stable or Wyldborn) and is also the pre-req for the always great Radiant Basilic Jewel.

Intelligence:

Memory Drinking Meditation: If you ever replace someone and don't want their spouse to suspect, accept no substitutes. Also super good at collecting information on others (just steal the faces of those around them and reap the intel).

Terrestrial Circle Sorcery: No need to belabour the usefulness here.

Wood Dragon's Claw: A really key part of our combat - an artifact weapon on demand allows us to attack at a resting Withering Accuracy of 21 (!!!) (Dex 5 + Brawl 5 + Specialty 1 + Ambush Hunter 3 + Accuracy 5 + Stunt 2).

Combined with Divine Predator Strike and Ferocious Biting Tooth (you'll need to buy these non-favored I'm afraid, but still not overly onerous), you are basically always adding 3 dice to your post-soak damage (you'll get 2 10s on 21 dice most of the time, statistically) and your overwhelming is going to be at least 4 so that's a 7 dice overwhelming damage even if their soak eats everything, which is nice.

Appearance:

Subtle Silver Declaration / Moons Hidden Face: Since our Mutations are now obvious, these are necessary investments to not reveal ourselves. Generally useful too for an infiltrator.

So here are some numbers: (Not including stunting +2 dice)

Withering Attack (Wood Dragon's Claw): 19 (+7 for 7m) / 15 damage (+5 for 5m)
      Decisive Attack (Wood Dragon's Claw): 14 (+7 for 7m)
      Soak (As Cat): 10 (+3 for 3m, +4 for 4m)
      Evasion: 8 (+1 for 1m, +2 for 4m)
      Parry: 6 (+1 for 1m, +4 for 8m)
      Guile: 6 (+5 for 10m)
      Resolve: 2 (+4 for 8m)

Phew, I think thats mostly done, the obvious things to expand into with XP are the following:

- Pick up Divine Predator Strike and Ferocious Biting Tooth, for low accuracy characters, these are white elephants, but for you the skys the limit. You will be rolling at least 2 10s and possibly/probably more on a regular basis with a resting accuracy of 21 (!!). That really boosts your post-soak damage.

- Pick up ISOB, your emergency Soak puts you on par with legit Lunar Soakbeasts.

- Pick up Radiant Basilisc Jewel - Your Free Greater Hearthstone awaits, lots of choices here.

- Max your Appearance, why not? Just melt hearts wherever you go.

I leave it to you, valued reader and fellow sojourner on this particular character's drafting to decide whether the character accomplishes what it sets out to.

For me, as Death Kitty is, I am content.

Comment

A few thoughts:
        • Latent Abilities only cost 3 bp, and you cost it as 4 bp under merits, so you have another bp to spend. Are Latents considered merits? I thought that you had to pay for them from your bp budget.
        • Cats are considered to have Strength 1, so they can't perform feats of strength, so Mighty Thews is wasted in cat form.

Here's another go at it.

Death Kitty Revision

Totem: Cat/Scarab

Tell: Enhanced Sense (Smell)
        In the Ask the Devs thread, it was clarified that mutations can qualify you for Protean benefits as long as you aren’t in base form. This is great for a lot of Perception charms.

Physical [Secondary] (3 bp spent):
        Strength 3
        Dexterity 5
        Stamina 3
        Social [Primary]:
        Appearance 2
        Charisma 5
        Manipulation 5
        Mental [Tertiary]
        Intelligence 3
        Perception 3 (Favoured)
        Wits 2

Merits:
        Enhanced Sense (Smell) 3
        Artifact 3 (Moonsilver Chainshirt) 3
        Hearthstone (Stone of Resilient Bamboo) 2
        Heart’s Blood 1
        Stolen Faces 1
        Resources 1 (1 bp)

Bonus Points:
        Dexterity 4-5 (3 points)
        Dodge 3-5 (4 points)
        Brawl 3-5 (4 points)
        Latent Ability (Underfoot Menace) 3
        Merit (Resources 1) 1

Relevant Abilities:
        Brawl 5 (Claws)
        Dodge 5 (Tiny/Miniscule Forms)
        Stealth 3 (Tiny/Miniscule Forms)

Charms:
        Excellencies:
        All of them

Universal:
        Quicksilver Second Face
        Chimera-Soul Expression (Unusual Hide 5, Antennae)

Appearance:
        Subtle Silver Declaration
        Moon’s Hidden Face

Strength:
        Ferocious Biting Tooth
        Divine Predator’s Strike

Stamina:
        Impenetrable Beast Armor
        Durant Quicksilver Adaptation

Dexterity:
        Agile Beast Defense
        Bending Before the Storm

Intelligence:
        Inevitable Genius Insight
        Memory-Drinking Meditation
        Terrestrial Circle Sorcery (Wood Dragon’s Claw)

Wits:
        Squirrel’s Cunning Technique
        Magpie’s Nest Resourcefulness

Relevant Numbers (Stunts not included):
        Withering Attack: 19 dice (+7 for 7m), 13 damage (+4 for 4m), Overwhelming 8ish
        Decisive Attack: 14 dice (+7 for 7m)
        Soak: 3 Stamina + 5 Armor + 5 Unusual Hide + 2 Hearthstone + 4 excellency = 19 soak

While Impenetrable Beast Armor does add to soak, it has to be applied before the attack is rolled. Given how often attacks will miss, and that a great strength of Death Kitty is that she can increase her defense after she is hit until the attack misses, this is inefficient.
        5m is gained per turn, and if 2m is spent on FBT, 2m on DPS, and 1m on Agile Beast Defense, then Death Kitty is mote neutral.
        She will most likely hit with a withering attack and successful dodge at least one attack on her so she will gain about (8 overwhelming dice/2) + 1i (Agile Beast Defense)= 5i per round.

Suggested Buys:
        Post-hit Defense:
        • Invulnerable Skin of Bronze
        Raise your soak by 6, your hardness to 6, and gain a disarming counterattack when hit.
        • Immovable Aurochs Defense
        Have you ever tried to move a cat?
        • Ox-Body Technique
        Taking health damage is inevitable.

Mobility:
        • Graceful Crane Stance
        This might be necessary if you’re running around while bronze.
        • Instinct-Driven Beast Movement
        This is a prereq for some Dexterity subterfuge charms and also awards initiative.
        • Shifting Octopus Trick
        This is a solid answer for being grappled.
        Defense:
        • Fleeting Gazelle Exercise
        Not only does this raise your Evasion for the rest of the scene, it also provides initiative.
        Cunning Prey Reversal
        It raises Evasion after you’ve been hit and provides initiative.
        Flowing Body Evasion
        Technically the previous two charms have brought you to the dice cap, and this charm has to be declared before the attack roll. It’s still a good answer to uncountable damage and a way to mitigate decisive damage.

Attack
        • Sinuous Striking Grace
        Lunar Defense charms often rely on your attacker having lower initiative than you, so lower theirs before they can attack you.
        Subterfuge:
        • Many
        With both Tiny size and the Ambush Hunter ability, Death Kitty gains protean benefits from most charms in this tree. The craziest one is probably Shadow Talon Execution letting you Double 9s on a decisive attack roll.

Comment

I think you have probably made a superior build but the beauty is apart from several key points, it’s a pretty much a free build Chassis:

- Caste Agnostic
          - Primary Attribute Agnostic (Secondary I would be physical, at least)
          - Ability Point agnostic, especially if you get Omni Excellency

The Requirements Are:
          - Kitty Cat Shape (Spirit Shape if you want to Chimera)
          - The Underfoot Menace Latent
          - Wood Dragon’s Claw
          - Max Dodge and Brawl, high Stealth
          - Some source of Soak would be nice (but not essential)

And that’s it, and in return you get a combat form that is nearly undetectable in Stealth, has better resting Accuracy than a Dawn Single Point Swordsman and Evasion on par with a Supernal Snake Martial Artist.

On par with DBT I’ll let you decide, it is a whole lot cheaper though.

Oh yes, and killing Deebs as a Ragdoll Munchkin is never going to get old. Ha!
          Last edited by prototype00; 07-12-2019, 02:02 AM.

Comment

I do love how easy it is to bolt onto other characters. It's a way to be able to survive and contribute in combat while still focusing on other things. You don`t even need to max Brawl and Dodge at character creation, it`s just nice to do so.

You know, if you're willing to wait for Stamina 3, Impenetrable Beast Armor, and Durant Quicksilver Adaptation, you could get away with Tertiary physical attributes.

Strength 2+1 for 3bp
            Dexterity 5
            Stamina 1

You could replace IMB and DQA with Invulnerable Skin of Bronze and wind up with comparable soak and higher hardness.

So:
            6 bp for an attribute dot and the latent skill
            5 merit points for unusual hide or 1 charm for Chimera Soul Expression
            4 Mental Attribute charms
            TCS for Wood Dragon's Claw
            2 charms for FBT and DPS

So like 3 charms and 6 bp. Most characters that will use this build will likely to social or mental focused, so the mental charms aren`t much of a tax.

Comment

It occurs to me that Tail (OO) is a good mutation to take for the “Tell” charm, as it allows you to Wood Dragon's Claw but still manipulate things like locks or whatnot.

Tail + Unusual Hide is also shorthand for a Pestletail. Does it allow you to use it with Weapon Snatching Coils with the new Mutation understanding from Vance? Disarm to medium range (2 rounds of movement) is a neat trick.

Note: If anyone wants to take the Ambidexterous Merit to offset the off-hand penalty of the Tail OO merit, it makes sense to take it as part of the Chimera 6 dots you get, as its very hard to find something good to fit in that one dot, and Ambidexterous fits the bill.

(So Chimera is Unusual Hide OOOOO and Ambidexterous O).
              Last edited by prototype00; 07-14-2019, 12:42 PM.

Comment

We've been focusing on animal shapeshifting builds with good damage/soak/merits, for the sake of combining with high dex+brawl for something terrifying. I wanted to try something different - a minimal investment build that uses an animal form for nearly all it's stats.

Changing Moon
                Spirit Shape: Tyrant Lizard
                Tell: Fangs

Physical Tertiary
                Dex 3, Str 4, Sta 1
                Social Primary
                Cha 5*, Ma 2, App 5*
                Mental Secondary
                Perception 5*, Wits 3*, Intelligence 2

Abilities
                Brawl 3, Presence 5, Integrity 3, Socialize 3, Awareness 3, Athletics 3, Linguistics 1, Performance 3, Stealth 3, War 3
                Specialties: Presence (Intimidation), Stealth (As tiny creature), Athletics (Showing Off)

Merits
                Heart's Blood 2: River Dragon [I think the best aquatic legendary size thing?], some random utility forms (a few fish, birds, maybe a rat or cat, maybe a good all-around non-legendary combat form, I'd say a bear off the top of my head)
                Greater Manse (Rose of Millions - Major Tie (Self - Pride)) [Not sure what to put here, probably something to know how/whether to scare them]
                Stolen Faces 2: 5 random people, a successful bandit in the region [for the sake of people being scared of him]
                Something 1
                Latent Abilities: Predator's Menace

Charms
                Non-attribute: Many-faced Moon Declaration
                Dex: Graceful Crane Stance, Instinct-Driven Beast Movement
                Str: Grizzly Bear Embrace, Towering Beast Form
                App: Glance Oration Technique, Argument-Eclipsing Shadow, Predator-and-Prey Mirror, Feral Smile Tactic, Subtle Silver Declaration,Changing Plumage Mastery
                Charisma: Argent Songbird's Voice, Poised Lion Attitude, Beast-King Dictates, Pack-Calling Cry

BP Spent: 4 on presence, 3 on latents. Spend the rest on willpower or something. Or you can buy up dex/brawl to raise your cap.

Combat:
                Round 1, turn into a tyrant lizard. Or Round 0, if you have time before a fight.
                You are now a tyrant lizard with excellencies (max 14 dice to attack, 7 parry, +4 damage, so not great), a cap on how much furious rampage can get you, 3 combat charms, and better intimidation.

Comment

So using the animal shape purely for combat and putting stats into everything else? I like it, I think it’s one of the best use of Lunar animal forms (making a physically weak character that can turn into a powerhouse).

A couple of things:
                  - I think Accuracy and Damage is the name of the game here and the Great Cat’s Claw Attack probably beats out anything the Bear can do? (Though it’s close) Unless you are aiming for grapple?

- If all you want is the Str Excellency, you could actually leave Str at 2 and just take charms and Totemic you way in with Sta for Legendary Sized shapes for more Soak on call.

- Does Tell:Fangs actually help anything or is that just cosmetic?

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
                    So using the animal shape purely for combat and putting stats into everything else? I like it, I think it’s one of the best use of Lunar animal forms (making a physically weak character that can turn into a powerhouse).

A couple of things:
                    - I think Accuracy and Damage is the name of the game here and the Great Cat’s Claw Attack probably beats out anything the Bear can do? (Though it’s close) Unless you are aiming for grapple?

- If all you want is the Str Excellency, you could actually leave Str at 2 and just take charms and Totemic you way in with Sta for Legendary Sized shapes for more Soak on call.

- Does Tell:Fangs actually help anything or is that just cosmetic?
                    - I didn't look too closely at the backup form, great cat is likely the best.
                    - I considered going totemic -> stamina, and getting 1 stamina charm for the excellency (maybe ox-body? Legendary size likes lots of health levels). I mainly felt like a tyrant lizard will 9 times out of 10 have enough soak to reduce attacks to minimum damage, but fairly often have enough damage to not be at minimum damage themselves.
                    - Fangs are just cosmetic. I wanted to write a tell and fangs seemed reasonable. Kind of liked the image of him trying to intimidate someone and them just sort-of noticing fangs in his smile.

Comment

Originally posted by autXautY View Post

- I didn't look too closely at the backup form, great cat is likely the best.
                      I was just thinking about it for “inside” when you can’t go large. You know, instead of blowing points on a greater manse you could take the Wits charm Radiant Basilisc Jewel?

- I considered going totemic -> stamina, and getting 1 stamina charm for the excellency (maybe ox-body? Legendary size likes lots of health levels). I mainly felt like a tyrant lizard will 9 times out of 10 have enough soak to reduce attacks to minimum damage, but fairly often have enough damage to not be at minimum damage themselves.
                      Fair enough, I favour Str 3 for animal forms myself, as you get the excellency for most of your damage needs and some of the early star charms are nice.

- Fangs are just cosmetic. I wanted to write a tell and fangs seemed reasonable. Kind of liked the image of him trying to intimidate someone and them just sort-of noticing fangs in his smile.
                      Also fair enough. I’m fond of Tell mutation as your Superpower, but it’s not for everyone, I understand.

Comment

Working...
                      X