Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Ex 3 Lunars] Glorious Argent Beastiary! (A Lunar's Character Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any animals besides boars and bears that have Berserker?

And which is the best animal for a berserker build?

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
    Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      Are there any animals besides boars and bears that have Berserker?

And which is the best animal for a berserker build?
      I don't think there are any others in core or lunars.
      I'd probably say a hell boar is better than a bear, unless you like to grapple.
      Boars get bone-crunching bite, trample+Deathstomp (+5 decisive against prone, knock people prone with an attack after rushing them), +2 soak, a join-battle enhancing, and overwhelming 5.
      Bears get some grapple-enhancers, devour the weak (+5 decisive damage against a crashed enemy, 1/crash), +1 damage, and a lower-damage attack with 12 dice to hit. Also ferocious cub guardian, which if you need to defend other and can argue someone counts as either your young or your master is good.

Comment

Originally posted by autXautY View Post

I don't think there are any others in core or lunars.
        I searched and couldn't find any; I wondered if there were any in Hundred Devils. I don't think so though.

Thanks for the advice. The boar does look better, though Ferocious Cub Guardian is interesting.

My characters:
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
        Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

So as an alternative to Falcon Style, I think Strix has some nice traits to enable fall damage abuse.

First it doesn't have to use mutations to fly, so you can initiate grapples while flying without penalties. Which means you can Kraken-Arm Lash from medium range height without taking that -3 you would with the wings mutation.

Secondly it has Eagle Wing Rush, which lets you rush from long range, combine this with Ferocious Hound Persuit you can move one range band instantly from long to medium on a rush, not counting as your move action.

Third it can savage and drag a victim along with any movement action without taking Restrain.

This lets you start a round from long range height, rush to medium thanks to Eagle Wing + Ferocious Hound, Kraken Arm Lash, withering savage to get your initiative back, reflexively move up to long and Release (reflexive) for long range fall damage shaving of ~10 HLs. Ready to repeat this all next round, starting and ending every round at long range which is a huge pain in the ass for anyone on the ground trying to fight back.

If you decide to go in on a decisive savage you can also peck out peoples eyes with the predatory bird latent ability which is pretty neat.

Ideally you want Extra Limbs mutation + Cunning Beast Warrior reflexes so you can rush without taking any penalty on the grapple attack or to your defense.

A less costly version of this (both mote and intiative wise and for investment) is of course to just start at medium, pick up and drop the first guy from long, next round go down to medium and pick and drop there, next round pick and drop from long etc, only ending your turn and dropping at long range every other round.

Edit: With Eagle Eye, Night Vision, and Swooping Descent this also gets even scarier on a dark night where strix lunar can re-establish stealth.
          Last edited by limaxophobiac; 09-29-2019, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Honestly, turning into a giant version of a bird of prey that grabs animals and flies off with them... does indeed seem like it ought to be a powerful choice if your strategy is to grab people and fly off with it.

My characters:

Comment

Oh I've tried figuring out just silly you can get with Terrifying Dragon Roar + Predators Menace (since Vance said they were technically compatible) using appearance charms and oh boy.

Myriad Graces Appeal (6 non-charm dice from appearance against base Resolve 5 opponents with Perfect Symmetry up) + Terrifying Bestial Visage (3 non-charm dice in predatory forms) really push it way over the top.

It's possible at character creation (though not XP/BP efficient), on a one-point stunt as a changing moon, to make this intimidation roll with 33 dice, double 9s, and buy one extra success with WP*, for an average 20.8 successes with margin of success x2 initiative lost for all enemies.

So while they might be read as compatible I'm starting to think they probably shouldn't be.

*since you're an Apex Predator and are about to get showered in WP from crashes anyway
              Last edited by limaxophobiac; 09-30-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Ah, it’s always a pleasant surprise when people take your build ideas further.

I’m currently digesting the implications and will comment more later.

Comment

Working...
                X