Solar fan charms for swimming?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar fan charms for swimming?

I remember someone wrote up some pretty good Solar Athletics Charms for swimming a while ago, and I was wondering if anyone had them saved or a link, because I can't find them for the life of me.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Wait - I think I found them. Nevermind. If anyone is curious, it's post 19 here: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-support/page2

Comment

I'm glad you liked them! I must admit that I don't have a lot of experience actually playing Exalted 3e yet, so I'm not sure if the Essence costs are appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
        As far as swimming goes...I wrote these a while back. I don't think they're necessarily very good, but I felt like swimming needed something and I assumed that swimming a range band is at least a little more difficult than walking one (if you disagree it's an easy fix though).

I think the leaked playtest had a swimming Charm that basically made swimming as easy as walking without spending any motes; if you prefer, you could go with that and have Nimble Minnow Prana just cost a mote for doing something implausible like firing arrows from underwater.

And yeah I'm not at all sure Lurking Undertow Method is balanced, especially the E3+ upgrade -- I just thought it was a cool effect for a swimming grappler to be able to take full advantage of.

...and I hadn't even thought of Element-Resisting Prana as a way to breathe underwater. Still, I feel like Resistance should at least potentially have a "hold breath for a long time" Charm.
        I felt Cooking and Swimming were two big Lacunae in Solar competence. I felt Solars should have influenced emotion, moral and intimacies with excellent cuisine and they needed swimming charms at the very least so we have some way to gauge how good they should be.

I like the charms, but damn Nimble Minnow Prana makes Solars go from getting Jobbed by Water Aspects, Sea Iguana Lunars, and Water Gods, to bearing all their brains out.

I do hope we get some official charms for this, especially with how I loved all the charms lately!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Isn’t swimming considered a feat of strength, and enhaved by those charms? Also Hardship Medicant Spirit And Element Resisting Prana pretty well let a solar lay on her back and nap while floating on the waves of a hurricane ravaged sea, no?

Comment

Just for the record, my seafaring group's Dawn Caste did just fine with the standard Athletics Charms; he certainly wasn't "getting jobbed by Water Aspects," et cetera.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
              Just for the record, my seafaring group's Dawn Caste did just fine with the standard Athletics Charms; he certainly wasn't "getting jobbed by Water Aspects," et cetera.
              How does he deal being underwater for extended period of time before Essence 3?

Comment

I agree with TheCountAlucard's position.

Terrestrial Exalted only got a swimming Charm because what ELSE could the Athletics Water Signature have been? At least it had the excuse of "Water elemental magic" to allow stuff like "being submerged makes me super-strong as well as super-fast", like they were Percy Jackson or Aquaman.

Anyone can swim, and perform movement actions while swimming. Solar movement Charms make them very good at movement, which makes them very good at swimming. It's certain Survival or Sail Charms that cover things like "holding your breath forever" or "breathing water".

Lunar Exalted don't seem to be getting specific swimming Charms, either. Just general movement Charms and the ability to turn into sharks.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                  How does he deal being underwater for extended period of time before Essence 3?
                  Hearthstone, and later, vodonik teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                    I agree with TheCountAlucard's position.

Terrestrial Exalted only got a swimming Charm because what ELSE could the Athletics Water Signature have been? At least it had the excuse of "Water elemental magic" to allow stuff like "being submerged makes me super-strong as well as super-fast", like they were Percy Jackson or Aquaman.

Anyone can swim, and perform movement actions while swimming. Solar movement Charms make them very good at movement, which makes them very good at swimming. It's certain Survival or Sail Charms that cover things like "holding your breath forever" or "breathing water".

Lunar Exalted don't seem to be getting specific swimming Charms, either. Just general movement Charms and the ability to turn into sharks.
                    I generally agree, but feel like there should be a Charm before Essence 3 to facilitate a Solar deep sea diving and holding one’s breath for a very long period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                      I generally agree, but feel like there should be a Charm before Essence 3 to facilitate a Solar deep sea diving and holding one’s breath for a very long period of time.
                      It still wouldn't be Athletics, though. It would sooner be Resistance.

Solar Charms also don't have to be the answer to every problem. Hearthstones, artifacts, enchanted scarves, spirit blessings, Sorcery initiations, and spells all offer avenues for breathing water.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Solar Charms also don't have to be the answer to every problem. Hearthstones, artifacts, enchanted scarves, spirit blessings, Sorcery initiations, and spells all offer avenues for breathing water.
                        Yeah, I mean, Solar charms even DO straight up have an answer to this problem, and the charm that perfectly fixes it also perfectly fixes a bunch of other problems, it's just Essence 3. Essence 3 is also where Solars can fly, and form armour from nothing.

Before that Solars need to rely on, as you say, effects outside their charmset. Other charms that help are things like Racing Hare Method, which applies to swimming equally to running, and lets her dive DEEP in her (Stamina) minutes of breath holding.

Comment

Well what I’m talking about is Solars moving in whater as easily as on land. That old trick Water Aspects and a few other charms could simulate which allowed people to run underwater and fire arrows and firewands underwater. Yeah we have athletics charms which work for swim dashing, but Water is still difficult terrain even before your fully submerged.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                            Isn’t swimming considered a feat of strength, and enhaved by those charms? Also Hardship Medicant Spirit And Element Resisting Prana pretty well let a solar lay on her back and nap while floating on the waves of a hurricane ravaged sea, no?
                            If swimming was considered a feat of strength, you'd need Strength 3+ to swim at all, so probably not. There are pretty much no "canon" rules for swimming at all, aside from the mention that "swimming against a powerful tide" is a use of Athletics.

Element-Resisting Prana does indeed make drowning a total nonissue, though.

Are we still talking about the Charms I wrote? That one is indeed Resistance.

That's true, but I feel it should be possible for a Solar to get really good at holding their breath if the player really wants them to. Swimming underwater isn't the only situation where that might come in handy. (Although I suppose Element-Resisting Prana probably works on a significant fraction of other such situations as well.)

All things considered, though, Seal-Breath Technique really shouldn't require two purchases for the full benefits. That was kind of silly.

Comment

That's true, but I feel it should be possible for a Solar to get really good at holding their breath if the player really wants them to. Swimming underwater isn't the only situation where that might come in handy. (Although I suppose Element-Resisting Prana probably works on a significant fraction of other such situations as well.)
                              I think there is space to do it, a decent half way measure though could be a purchase of the Strong Lungs merit.

If swimming was considered a feat of strength, you'd need Strength 3+ to swim at all, so probably not. There are pretty much no "canon" rules for swimming at all, aside from the mention that "swimming against a powerful tide" is a use of Athletics.
                              Yes, not swimming itself exactly, but winning a swimming race or hauling something while swimming or stuff like that would be a straight athletics roll or a feat of strength.

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                              Well what I’m talking about is Solars moving in whater as easily as on land. That old trick Water Aspects and a few other charms could simulate which allowed people to run underwater and fire arrows and firewands underwater. Yeah we have athletics charms which work for swim dashing, but Water is still difficult terrain even before your fully submerged.
                              I'm not sure if Solars aren't already better at that kind of thing as Water Aspects are already. The Water signature at essence 3 lets them do it, but it just says it negates the penalties of shooting under water. Solars can negate ALL penalties with There Is No Wind, and get an accuracy bonus to boot, and an essence earlier, and without needing to spend a special signature charm purchase on it. The only thing that kind of air-breathing mermaid's itself in there is a Water Aspect being able to fire a firewand under water, but that might be getting into tentacle-mouth territory.

Solars totally can run along the bottom of the sea, firing arrows upward at a foe, it's just that it requires an Essence 3 charm. Solars should also be able to leap up to the height of a very tall building, and they can, it's just an essence 3 charm to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X