Lunar Martial Artists and, maybe, Excellencies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunar Martial Artists and, maybe, Excellencies

So looking through the previews, it looks like MA isn't something the Lunars can actually favor. Lunar Sorcery, at least, falls into the No Moon / Intelligence tree, so that's feasible, but MA isn't so easy to pin down. Is it Strength? Stamina? Dexterity? Different Styles seem to favor different Attributes. Heck, a case could be made for Appearance for White Veil (which does not exist, mind you).
    So my proposal for head-canon is simple: Talk it over with your STs. REally ask yourself what Attribute best works with the Style you're looking for. If you're an Obsidian Mask stylist, and you favor Manipulation, I'd consider it discounted as if MA was favored. Each style would be different.
    Tell me whether or not this is a silly plan.
    Also, do Lunars get free Excellencies like DBs do, now?
    Last edited by Brasstreader; 03-04-2019, 12:36 AM.

I used to know things. Forbidden things.

Lunar Native Charms (including Excellencies) freely combine with Martial Arts Charms, according to the rulez.

MA charms themselves are never favored cost for Lunars. If we let MA be favoured, I would predict that the howls of protest about OP Lunar Martial Arts would be (more) deafening.

In answer to your second question Re Excellency:

Favored Attribute 3+ or 1 Charm = Free Excellency

Non-favored Attribute 5 or 2 Charms = Free Excellency.
    Last edited by prototype00; 03-04-2019, 07:58 AM. Reason: Edited for Accuracy.

Comment

Yeah, Prototype00 is right.

My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Martial Arts being Ability Charms is in fact the entire reason Lunars get to combine them with their native Charms at all.
        Originally posted by Brasstreader View Post
        Also, do Lunars get free Excellencies like DBs do, now?
        Lunars get them, DBs don't.

Comment

Originally posted by The MG View Post
          Lunars get them, DBs don't.
          Actually there are some updates in the backer pdf that came out in December and DBs get to pick 5 free excellencies at character creation. This is in addition to the 15 charms they get for free at creation.

Comment

I mean technically "dragon blooded get 20 free charms at chargen, 5 of which must be excellencies" would be a more accurate way to put it.

But yeah, lunars work like solars, except they need 1 charm or 3 dots in their caste/favoured and 5 dots or 2 charms in everything else. Which given how many attribute dots they get is not hard to achieve.

Comment

Yeah, I'd expect non-Casteless to start with 4-6 excellencies.
              Even my Casteless Lunar started with 5.

My characters:
              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                Yeah, I'd expect non-Casteless to start with 4-6 excellencies.
                Even my Casteless Lunar started with 5.
                You could start with all 9 if you wanted too. Though without decent scores it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
                  You could start with all 9 if you wanted too. Though without decent scores it might be more trouble than it's worth.
                  Just stunt the 5s onto the 2s.

Comment

I did buy 2 Charisma charms mostly to get the excellency (so I could get 6 dice instead of 3), but if, say, you've built a character with Strength 2, you may just not care that your flamepiece-wielding social-sorcerer doesn't have a strength excellency, and not want to spend 18-20xp on it.
                    I do have an appearance excellency, because I wanted Changing Plumage Mastery, but I wouldn't have bought two charms just to get it.
                    I just found that even for a doctor/snake stylist, you've got to roll Charisma sometimes.

My characters:

Comment

I got curious and figured out that it's possible to build a lunar such that they only have one excellency, but that's as low as you can go because one of your primary attributes has to be caste or favoured, and getting 9 dots there means it's impossible to distribute them in a way that at least one attribute doesn't qualify.

You can side step the charms pretty easily by getting all the universals and maybe some MA or Evocations and spreading the rest around your attributes with the one that's already got an excellency taking up the slack.

I'm not sure how useful this information will ever be.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                        I got curious and figured out that it's possible to build a lunar such that they only have one excellency, but that's as low as you can go because one of your primary attributes has to be caste or favoured, and getting 9 dots there means it's impossible to distribute them in a way that at least one attribute doesn't qualify.

You can side step the charms pretty easily by getting all the universals and maybe some MA or Evocations and spreading the rest around your attributes with the one that's already got an excellency taking up the slack.

I'm not sure how useful this information will ever be.
                        I thought you needed a charm in each of your primaries. Though i need to reread the rules.

Comment

I don't see any such rule.That wouldn't affect the numbers though, since this was with one favoured and two non-favoured in the primary. and that favoured was the mandatory excellency.

Comment

Working...
                          X